Someone to assess a restoration car - 280Z '77 - in UK

Jason McIvor

Club Member
Folks
Brand new here and brand new to the Z's
Have found a decent looking car in UK and wondering is someone is able to assess the state of it for me - I've loads of pics or possibly someone could come and look at the car with me (does this exist as a service I can pay for ?)
Let me know how best to proceed for a newbie (I don't do social media suc as facebook etc)
Thanks

status

Well-Known Forum User
Notice the 280Z is commanding strong money in Europe but we are not inEurope and for 15 K I’d of thought you could import a decent 240z for that sort of money

Jason McIvor

Club Member

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
The best bit about this car is that it's original.

The worst bit about this car is that it's original.

Its actually not original though, its already been repainted - at least if it hadnt you might be able to see easier what is lurking beneath that bad paintjob.

Herc34es

Club Member
how do you know it is repainted? (I do not see it in the description so there must be a trick to identify it?)

uk66fastback

Club Member
The rubber drain plugs in the sills are blue and shouldn't be. Some of the frame is blue and wouldn't be ... (cos it'd be dirty). One or two other signs - lifting paint etc. So Dan is correct, it isn't that original. Makes no difference of course if a respray is in the planning, down the line ...

uk66fastback

Club Member
I'm not sure many of us would buy it - well, at least those with experience of these cars. I think most can see the pitfalls in buying something like this. You would be better off spending more money and buying a better car. Body condition is everything with these.
But since you asked, under £10k. It'll sell no doubt, but for how much and to who, we don't know.

Robbie J

Club Member
I did ask him 9K two weeks ago :D but he told me nope ;p (that was before the engine was running).
speaking from experience that car is a lot worse than the stuff you can see... I got bitterly roasted on here for my first car which I scraped

Did you ask about SacCyclone car yet?

Robbie J

Club Member
Yes but that one was over budget, as if I understood correctly was gonna be restored and then sold.
Ask him to source another one then inside your budget, I bet it's cheaper for him to do stuff than you. If he gets a 280Z and puts the 240 bumpers on it will have the look and be cheaper

I've been to his "shop" parts are not cheap in the UK so him sourcing bits and putting it on the car is better than you doing this side of the pond

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Yes but that one was over budget, as if I understood correctly was gonna be restored and then sold.

There's a big difference between fully restored and being made to look presentable and safe to drive which is what @SacCyclone is doing I think. Most freshly-imported cars you find from Huggy's etc in the UK will still need a decent chunk of money throwing at them before you'd want to take them out for a weekend drive.