SOLD: 77 Datsun 280z Resto project

Cornel88

Forum User
Up for sale is my 1977 Datsun 280z (factory A/c car) running restoration project.

2.8 fuel injection engine (very smooth running motor) with the preferred 5 speed manual gearbox. The car has a coolant leak from on old hose pipe connected to the radiator.

Black leather seats with black surround trim in very good condition.
Dashboard in excellent shape (no cracks) . The carpet is old and needs to be replaced.

U.S style bumpers removed but can include them In the sale, they're in very good condition.

I have added a new battery and a set of new 16 " inch JR19 watanabe style deep dish wheels on new 215 /45/R16 Imperial tyres, I also have the factory wheels that can be dealt in the deal.

PAPERWORK.
The car arrived in the UK in March this year, so only a few months old in the Uk , All of the import fees and Duty are paid.

I have the NOVA letter from the HMRC for easy registration,

Have the v55/5 & v112 form filled just need to be signed and posted in new owners name. (Clean title and paperwork given in hand)

**IMPORTANT PLEASE READ**

This car is being sold as a running and driving restoration project and does need work to be fully road worthy.

The cars paint is OK and somewhat presentable but dose need a full paint job, It has a few rust spots/ rust bubbles in certain areas of the body but nothing that can't be repaired without replacing any of panels.

The underneath in overall is structurally solid and in decent shape but does need some patch work in the common rust spots on these cars the worst being in the drivers side top part of the floorpan.

Anyone genuinely interested is more than welcomed to fully inspect the car before purchasing.

I can send detailed pictures of the rust effected areas to anyone genuinely interested trough WhatsApp on 00353897041898 (In Ireland myself but the car is in Coventry UK with the dad) check the link below for a short video of the car .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1977-Dat...-/255019323264?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Just send me a message if you have any questions.

The car can be delivered worldwide at buyers expense

Attachments

• IMG_20210612_222259_477.jpg
    IMG_20210612_222259_477.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 13

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Normally we discourage discussion on somebody's sale listing but I'm going to make an exception here.

Your car has been discussed multiple times on the site already:

https://zclub.net/community/index.php?threads/datsun-evaluation.28220/

and

https://zclub.net/community/index.p...assess-a-restoration-car-280z-77-in-uk.28264/

The fact that you've pulled the bumpers off and swapped the wheels isn't going to cover up how much of a money pit this car will be. It almost certainly needs extensive metalwork.

Cornel88

Forum User
Hi there. This is my first post here a friend recommended me the site .

Cover up what? Extensive metal work ? Seriously....wow!

Did anyone from this forum come up to view the car or seen it in person?

Did you even read the description of the advert?

No sir . This is a good and solid restoration project as advertised and am being very transparent about it.

Cornel88

Forum User
Just read most of the comments in the links and I was blown away!

The first time I advertise it it wasn't running as it had a dizzy issue that got sorted a few weeks later, the car was bought running Pryor being shipped to the uk.

This is a great and solid base resto project for someone, and anyone who knows a thing or two about these z cars will definitely confirm that. Fact!

This 280z is far from new and like I mentioned in the description it does need work to be perfect and fully road worthy.

Don't you just hate when people who don't know how to read the description of the car. Expect a new car when they ask for pictures .

In any case I am happy to be part of this very cool forum and I can answer any questions thrown at me .

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
This is a good and solid restoration project as advertised and am being very transparent about it.

Maybe then lead with these pictures of your car instead of the music video:

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-20 at 15.45.10.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-20 at 15.46.49.jpeg

Last edited:

Cornel88

Forum User
Never lied to anyone about the overall condition of the car and was stated "to come up and fully inspect the car before considering buying "

In the description it clearly says I'll send pictures of the effected areas to anyone genuinely interested. I chose the pictures that expresses the beauty of the car so people can see the potential of the car , hence the video too.

I have to be honest I'm feeling very unwelcomed here.

I love these cars and I was blessed in owning 5 so far and will own more in the near future.

I privately import these at the moment and hope to be do so full time in the near future.

When I first heard about this forum I was very exited to talk and possibly meet new Z series enthusiast like myself but I can see that there's a bit of negativity around this place .

Last edited:

Mark N

Club Member
It's usually not a great idea to introduce yourself in a 'For Sale' post on an enthusiast forum.

This is a great and solid base resto project for someone, and anyone who knows a thing or two about these z cars will definitely confirm that. Fact!

I don't think many knowledgeable members of this forum, with restoration experience, would consider this a great and solid base.
A quick search on here will reveal that good body work is considered the most important element in these cars.
I may be wrong, but I would be surprised if this car and the red 240Z on your other Youtube video are 'Dry State' cars.
Sun burned paint and cracked interiors are much easier to deal with than rotten body work.
If you are planning on making a living from importing these cars, I would suggest making use of the wealth of knowledge that is available on here before making your next US purchase.
The "Classifieds Discussion' section will give you an idea of what is considered a good buy at what price point.
It probably wouldn't hurt to search for wheel offsets either! EXTRA;)

Herc34es

Club Member
When I first heard about this forum I was very exited to talk and possibly meet new Z series enthusiast like myself but I can see that there's a bit of negativity around this place .

Your first and only post was selling your projects on ebay. :p

I do not think there is an aggression; just people are always skeptical with their money and how they invest/spend it. (Look at Bring a Trailer auctions for example (BaT)). If they think A,B,C about it, it is them in the end who make the choice. Mister A might think it is epic, Mr B might think this is a scam. IMO I would advise you what I say to all my students; do not try to fight one's opinion; try to change it through actions. Listen what the negative feedback is and build on it, fix it, learn etc. Whenever there is smoke there is fire. Everywhere. It is not bad, people make mistakes. Others hide stuff (hundreds of traders did/do that). Your way of contesting is invalid, cause for one noone knows you (noone for example knows me thus i do not act like I am something), your argument of experience (while it maybe true) noone can tell (this is the internet, full of keyboard warriors pretenting). This might not be you, but who knows?! Mr Techno as an admin has the Clubs here recognition, experience etc. There are other members who are professional restorers and traders.

As I understood also, this forum is a discussion forum (just like any other forum), people will contest everywhere (i have seen a few forums where this happened:boxing:). We are all here about our passion for Zs. I consider Zs with semi-automatic the best way to drive a Z, and all members here would gladly vomit their guts out if they see that :jester: . But in the end, this is all part of it, and I think all like it. So I do not think for one second that you are not welcome. People might not like what or how you sell, but that is completely different. I seriously doubt anyone would not be welcoming you and your Z stories/pictures/resto-projects. All would be extremely interested to see, advice etc as they are extremely welcoming. I learned many things here.

As I said, people are skeptical and cautions with what they buy. Noone is negative towards you.

Cornel88

Forum User
Also, stating "Fact!" at the end of a statement actually makes most people instantly doubt the veracity of said statement.
I'm just saying that if someone with previous automotive restoration experience would agree with me, after viewing and inspecting the car in person. ‍♂️

Mark N

Club Member
I'm just saying that if someone with previous automotive restoration experience would agree with me, after viewing and inspecting the car in person. ‍♂️

Only if the holes and rust somehow disappear when you view it in person.

Mark N

Club Member
Like I said previously, use this forum to determine what constitutes a good buy, in the eyes of the many experienced members here, before making any more bargain basement purchases like your 240Z on eBay now.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255019526719?hash=item3b60592a3f:g:gwMAAOSwamRgynHE
I think your prices are 'enthusiastic' for the condition of the cars and you may do better if you lower them somewhat.
For me, the 240Z is a 'walk away' car with structural issues apparent in the video and who knows what horrors lurking under the home paint job.
You should also bear in mind that this forum has lots of information and support for importing then registering these cars and cutting out the UK middleman.

Cornel88

Forum User
Well maybe you have a point at some level

And I should do a little more research on how to advertise a classic car and be more careful when it comes to the words I chose when describing a resto project .

"Great" or "good" for me would be completely different for someone else that's why in adverts I always say come up and fully inspect the car before considering buying,

Yes the 240z as described is a big resto project and would suit someone with experience in the field of automotive car resto, but still a good car and not impossible to resto, the car has plenty of potential.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Never lied to anyone about the overall condition of the car and was stated "to come up and fully inspect the car before considering buying "

In the description it clearly says I'll send pictures of the effected areas to anyone genuinely interested. I chose the pictures that expresses the beauty of the car so people can see the potential of the car , hence the video too.

No lies but not all the truth either unless an astute buyer bothers your for said photos.

but still a good car and not impossible to resto, the car has plenty of potential.

Piece of advice - don't sell a car upon it's potentiel, sell it as a transparent project - you'll earn a lot more buyer-trust that way and reputation is everything.

Good luck with the future and remember, your biggest competition are the cars imported directly by the buyers themselves.

Cornel88

Forum User
No lies but not all the truth either unless an astute buyer bothers your for said photos.

Piece of advice - don't sell a car upon it's potentiel, sell it as a transparent project - you'll earn a lot more buyer-trust that way and reputation is everything.

Good luck with the future and remember, your biggest competition are the cars imported directly by the buyers themselves.

Thanks for your piece of advice .