SOLD: 1975 260Z Track Day Car for sale

DJacey

Club Member
The time has come to sell my track day car. It is an original UK RS30 right-hand drive early production 260Z (chassis no. 407) first registered in January 1975 (N Reg.). I bought it 15 years ago from Geoff Gale of Auto Active and it was previously his own track day car. Since suffering from a serious illness several years ago the car has sadly been left standing (albeit always fully covered) on my driveway and inevitably has deteriorated to such an extend that I do not have the time, resources or inclination to re-commission it and get it back on the track. I have a 1970 240Z that I am (very) slowly restoring and this is more than enough to keep me occupied!

The car has the following specification as originally described by Mr Gale:

• 2.8litre ZX P90 engine with flat-top pistons

• Triple weber 40 DCOE carburettors with air horns

• Oil cooler system

• GDS exhaust and manifold with twin muffler and straight through silencers (Jetex)

• Facet fuel pump and fuel regulator

• Large capacity three core radiator with an electric fan

• Battery isolator

• Urethane suspension and steering bushes all round

• Front and rear strut braces

• Four pot calipers on the front wheels

• 280ZX brake servo

• Roll cage

• 15” DYNA wheels with Falken 205/60/15 tyres (holding pressure)
The mechanics were all running perfectly before I stopped using the car on the track but of course the engine will need to be fully checked over before attempting to start it (it has no battery connected), the carburettors will need servicing and re-tuning and the braking system will also need to be fully inspected and serviced/overhauled. It is likely that the electrical connections will have corroded and will also need to be fully tested. The cooling system was left fully drained and the fuel tank sounds empty.

The body and chassis are far from perfect – hence it being used as a track day car. There are patch welds in various places with the bottom of the firewall and floors being especially untidy but apparently solid. The chassis rails have been replaced. It has a sliding vinyl sunroof (possibly Britax?), but the roof panel ideally needs to be replaced. There is obviously body filler present on the rear wings and I would expect similar on the rear panel also. The petrol filler recess panel is very corroded. The front wings have been flared but the passenger side is dented after a disagreement on the track with a Subaru Impreza! The bonnet, doors and hatch appear to be in reasonably good condition. I do have a replacement roof, a pair of decent wings and replacement petrol filler recess panel available at additional cost if required. Please note that I do not know the full extent of the corrosion present on the car so I would strongly recommend that, if possible, you bring somebody with you to inspect the car who has experience of restoring Z’s so that they looks in all the usual places and make a judgement on the amount of work required to get it through an MOT.

I have more photographs available on request - PM me please.

I’ve tried to be as honest as I can be in describing the condition of the car. Please be prepared to view a very untidy car with a lot of potential issues. If you want a 260Z track day car then I believe this is a good option if you are prepared to spend some time and effort to get it running again. However, if you are thinking that it may be a candidate for restoration to a daily driver then you will need to be prepared to spend a considerable amount of money to get it to a decent standard. However, in my opinion I believe that there is enough potential in the car for this to be a realistic option if you are set on obtaining an original UK car.

I’m advertising the car initially on the Zclub website for a couple of weeks to give members an opportunity to view and make offers. If I do not receive any interest I’ll be placing the car on Ebay after this time. I live in Solihull, West Midlands if you wish to view the car - please PM me for further details. Finally, please note that my wife suffers from a serious lung disease and we are both currently self-isolating so please do not arrange to visit unless you are definitely interested in buying this car.

Attachments

• IMG_20200814_131203419.jpg
    IMG_20200814_131203419.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20200814_131334998.jpg
    IMG_20200814_131334998.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20200814_131341767.jpg
    IMG_20200814_131341767.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20200814_131351816.jpg
    IMG_20200814_131351816.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20200814_131400481.jpg
    IMG_20200814_131400481.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20200814_131442534_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200814_131442534_HDR.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20200814_131501417_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200814_131501417_HDR.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20200814_131602385_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200814_131602385_HDR.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20200814_131629379_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200814_131629379_HDR.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20200814_132129511_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200814_132129511_HDR.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 112

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hi Dave, I remember this car on track at Castle Combe with Geoff and I also remember you having a clutch slave cylinder issue at one trackday. Was that Donington?

I didn't realise it had 240Z rear lights.

Sorry to hear you haven't been well and good luck with the sale. PM me with the figure you are prepared to let it go for and I'll try and find you a buyer.

Rob

Last edited:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Sorry to hear you haven't been well and good luck with the sale. PM me with the figure you are prepared to let it go for and I'll try and find you a buyer.

Likewise Dave - take care - both of you and.....can't you merely announce a base price here and now please ? If your intention is to ebay it, you must surely have your idea of a value ? Thx.

DJacey

Club Member
I have had a couple of enquiries already (great news!) so I'll share my responses to be fair to everyone:

Q. Does the require much welding underneath, chassis legs etc.
A. I've just been out and given it a good prod with a screwdriver and all seems solid to me although as I've already said it has been patch welded in several places. It's got a good covering of underseal all over. The chassis rails were replaced and still look good to me. I'm happy for anyone to do the same - I'll even supply the screwdriver! Forgot to mention that I also have a pair of replacement floor panels (if the current ones offend :)) at additional cost.

Q. How much are you selling the car for?
A. To be honest I'm finding this one difficult to judge which is why I left it out of the original ad. I suppose it's worth what anyone is willing to offer me based on a visual inspection. It's really down to supply and demand at this point in time. I'm very happy for the site experts to give their opinions if they wish to comment and provide a price range based on the condition as described :bow:

DJacey

Club Member
Hi Rob, is it be possible that the early 260Z's had 240Z rear light clusters fitted? They came with the car.

DJacey

Club Member
Hi Sean, thanks for your best wishes. OK so if I placed it on Ebay I'd put a reserve of £4k - that might be ambitious in your view but I really don't know. If it didn't sell at that I'd lower it until I got some bids.

DJacey

Club Member
Sorry Rob, yes it was Donington - you have a great memory! It went about 1 mile from the circuit and had to get it towed home. One of those days when you wished you didn't own a classic car.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Hi Sean, thanks for your best wishes. OK so if I placed it on Ebay I'd put a reserve of £4k - that might be ambitious in your view but I really don't know. If it didn't sell at that I'd lower it until I got some bids.
£4k is very low if as you say it's solid but patched.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Dave, I sold my old track car for £6.5k and it was much better than this BUT times have changed and values increased.

I know it's an old work-horse and not pretty but £4k is too low.

DJacey

Club Member
On the basis that I just received two offers in the last ten minutes without a visit to look at the car - one matching £4k and the other very close to it - then I'm thinking you're right! So I'm sorry but I'm not rushing into accepting any offers that quickly guys. I'm not desperate and in no rush to release the car so I'm going to give it a few more days to see what other responses I get.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Dave, is this the car that Geoff used to tow to Castle Combe with an 'A Frame'? He would remove the front valance.