Skylines and A550

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I confess to a lack of knowledge, bordering on the ignorant of the Skyline range, it's evolution, spin-offs (432 engine ?) and racing pedigree.
Nissan bought Prinz for their engines ?
First Skylines to race and also to race as factory cars ?

I moved the A550 subject here as it deserves a seperated discussion !

If I can't have an R32, a C210 (I think that's the one) would do !

Maybe someone could reccomend a book or two ?

steven lack

Well-Known Forum User
try waterstones and amazon if not how intense do you want history
i do have history from 1957 the first prince and lots more besides plus i have a man who goes to japan and can bring anything back but itll be local lingo i expect so pretty pics
talk to me

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
So the engine choice (other than the real Yamaha) is :
Nissan S20 engine (I mean the Skyline 4 pot)
Alfa (as in the '60s GTVs)
Fiat
Toyota 18R-G or 2T-G (2000 or 1600)

Any other 4 pots with twin overhead cams ?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Sean, you are really hard to keep up with.
You move your A550 discussion over here and mix it in with Skylines. If I come to your place for dinner I ought to expect treacle pudding as a starter.......
This thread will doubtless end up as a dog's dinner.

Originally posted by SeanDezart
So the engine choice (other than the real Yamaha) is :
Nissan S20 engine (I mean the Skyline 4 pot)

S20 was a six pot only. You must be thinking of the FJ20? There's loads of four pots that were in Skylines of all eras...

Symon's idea of a blown U20 sounds good to me, but the four pot Toyota twinks would be a neat touch of irony for an A550X replica methinks.

Any other 4 pots with twin overhead cams ?

Are you kidding? :p There's books full of 'em.:)

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I confess to a lack of knowledge, bordering on the ignorant of the Skyline range, it's evolution, spin-offs (432 engine ?) and racing pedigree.
Nissan bought Prinz for their engines ?
First Skylines to race and also to race as factory cars ?

Maybe someone could reccomend a book or two ?

Racing pedigree of the Skyline name ( in both Prince and Nissan guises ) would take all night and then some.

But 1963/4 would be generally acknowledged as the proper start of the Skyline name's race career, with the S54 series.

Nissan merged with Prince rather than buying them. It was a deal 'suggested' ( ie forced smilingly ) by the Japanese government in order to help both sides. Prince was struggling a bit and Nissan needed a bit of an adrenalin injection, but don't kid yourself that this was just a straight buy-up. It was much more complicated than that.

Most books ( as you would expect ) are in Japanese, but you can still glean a lot of useful info. There are a plethora of Skyline-related titles, and the majority of these concentrate on the GT-R side of the story ( with a few GTs thrown in ).

I'd recommend a cheap and easily accessible one as "SKYLINE" - No.25 in Neko Publishing's "World Car Guide" series, which covers most models from ALSIS-1 through to BCNR33. ( ISBN4-87366-155-2 )

The more impressive coffee-table type of book would be Neko Publishing's "SKYLINE GT-R - Volume 1", which covers mainly the C10 and C110 GT-R models, but has a really nice race section ( ISBN4-87366-001-7 ). The Volume 2 covers later models up to the BCNR33 too.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Count, we already eat our cheese before the dessert - sorry, only trying to conform to Burnsies' thread rules and the 'hybridz' thread was evolving !

Thanks for the Prinz story, I love to hear more than 'official or popular' tales !

What's a U20 engine, form which car ?

I'll check out the two books, I still love the C210, real '70s and practically unknown (and unseen) over here !

symon260z

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
What becomes more and more obvious is the lack of knowledge about the A550X. There are so many opinions but not a lot of hard facts. I really need to further my current projects before thinking more of the A550X but I see that the only way to get the project under way is to enlist the help of the people that were there at the time of making the car. With a little luck maybe Nissan and Yamaha would be interested in a seeing a part of their heritage being reborn ! I get the feeling that next summer I´ll be of to Japan to "interrogate" a few people and start to get information together.

My intention is not to create a replica but more of a reconstruction of the car so as to make it as accurate as possible given the amount of information available. So you can read from this that I ´d even put in American V8 if that was the original powerplant ! Unlikely though.

Sean. The U20 is the 4 pot motor fitted to the Fairlady Roadster with 130 or 150 bhp. At least they are readily available. But I´ll decide on the lump and all details as part of the project as a whole. Why not buy an R32 GTR, they are relatively cheap, parts availability is ok and they are a scream to drive. I ´ll show you when mine is back on the road.

Symon

boomer

Well-Known Forum User
Try to get in touch with Alan Thomas... he has some of the best connection in Japan...

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
:D :D :D Methinks Alan may find that funny bearing in mind how close he is to this thread

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
Russ - that's not playing with fire at all, excellent link thanks. Cannot vouch for whether the info is correct or not but it makes interesting reading and the old pictures are great.

symon260z

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Sean,

If I hadn´t done my "Hunt the shunt" impression with the R32 I really think that car would be fairly economical to run. It is so well made and if you keep you foot off the loud pedal it doesn´t use too much fuel. And there is room in the boot to take at least a couple of prams, useful for the future !

Count,

If you speak to Alan please wish him well for his next visit to Japan ! And remind him about the rear lamp for my Silvia.

Symon

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Originally posted by symon260z
Count,
If you speak to Alan please wish him well for his next visit to Japan ! And remind him about the rear lamp for my Silvia.
Symon

Will do. ;)

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
if i wasnt doing this 240Z, there might already be a skyline outside - wouldnt have bought the 300 though !
lets see, an r32 is 14 years old ish, in another 5 or so years i might be able to get one with the 'excuse' that two prams would fit !

Russ

Club Member
And another point to make is that the R in GTR stands for "Reliability" remember... so a GTS is no good... ;)

zbloke

Club Member
Originally posted by Russ
And another point to make is that the R in GTR stands for "Reliability" remember... so a GTS is no good... ;)

I was under the impression the "R" stood for "Rocket" as in accelerates like a rocket............:D

Tim