Skiddell/Pmac Airbox

richiep

Club Member
Does anyone know what happened to the moulds for the Skiddell/Pmac airbox that Mike Feeney was selling? It would be a total shame if they never saw the light of day again as that was a homegrown, proven option, and significantly less expensive (sub-200 quid) than getting one like the Aussie one.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Does anyone know what happened to the moulds for the Skiddell/Pmac airbox that Mike Feeney was selling? It would be a total shame if they never saw the light of day again as that was a homegrown, proven option, and significantly less expensive (sub-200 quid) than getting one like the Aussie one.

That’s a great point - it was a super air-box from all I’ve heard. For example, the Aussie one you have posted up doesn’t have the angled side to maintain more constant air speed across all the trumpets (again, I’m being a google mechanic here without actually having experienced it).

I would love to have the see through Gary box though. I do wonder how long such a thing would stay see through on my engine with the sort of reversion I recorded on the webcam! [emoji848]

richiep

Club Member
Worst case, I might have to set a winter side project of reverse engineering the one I've got on red Z. I just think it would be shame if those moulds are wasted, sitting on the shelf at whichever fibreglass fabricators Mike was using until someone chucks them away.

johnymd

Club Member
I'll see if I can find out who the fiberglass fabricators are. I had asked around previously but noone had an answer. That is certainly where they will be and ho may be willing to sell them.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I'll see if I can find out who the fiberglass fabricators are. I had asked around previously but noone had an answer. That is certainly where they will be and ho may be willing to sell them.

I'd imagine any tooling would be the property of Mike's estate still?

Last edited:
The version mike sold, was basically a copy of the R-factory one wasn't it, so it should be good.

If you took one to make a casting from, I'd imagine it'd end up about £130 each. a billet backplate would push that to circa £200?

richiep

Club Member
The version mike sold, was basically a copy of the R-factory one wasn't it, so it should be good.

If you took one to make a casting from, I'd imagine it'd end up about £130 each. a billet backplate would push that to circa £200?

No, it was designed by Steve Kiddell and Pmac working from a American-made TWM one, which they made improvements to the design and quality of. The initial run being in carbon fibre, and then fibreglass after they sold the moulds to Mike for him to continue the project.

The backplates are fibreglass too, being undrilled to allow for different applications (triples or SUs, or different sizes - 40, 45, 48 etc.). They were £185 when I bought one. They came with the clips for DIY install too.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
I haven’t got my engine in yet, but I wouldn’t mind knowing the distance from the back of the carbs / ITBs to the strut tower so I know how much space there is to play with. How deep an airbox can you get in?
Guess this is also dependant on the length of the inlet manifold.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
I now know who has all the molds for zed panels. I've also been told they need to be moved ASAP so I will make arrangements to collect and store them until the club decides what to do with them.
We have quite a few small boat builders repairers up here, is it worth enquiring if they would take any work on, perhaps an arrangement where the panels could be produced but the club owns the molds

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Presumably there's already a company (maybe the one that currently has them) that already has experience in making the parts - they probably just need paying for some more work. EXTRA:D

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
At that price point and with my plans to use different trumpets and a less restrictive box/ filter, I’d be in for one! ;) I’m pretty sure we can get enough orders in to make a batch run worth while.

johnymd

Club Member
I spoke with the company tonight and they are going to send me some pictures of all the moulds.

I think the reason for their concern about moulds is that with Mike not around, would there be any future orders. I guess they don’t want to provide free storage just in case somebody happens to want a bumper in 6 months time. After talking with them today I feel we could get them to do a couple of runs of some popular parts. I like to keep a stock of bumper and spoilers and wouldn’t mind an airbox to try out.

I will pop over to see them and report back. I do feel that they may want it moved in the future if there is little demand for panels and I don’t expect them to allow just one mould to be taken I case they are left with all the others to dispose of. If anyone would like a very large van full of moulds then please step forward now.

atomman

Club Member
Of course, Gary (Atomman) also made one recently.

Yeah I've still got it over at my friends unit ,

If nothing comes off with Mikes old mold's I can ask if he would do a run and how much it would be, I'm sure he could do clear or colored etc, I machined the base out of polypropylene but could make another simple mold for the bottom easy enough to keep the cost down,

The problem is the time it takes to make a mold (plug) , it took days to do mine on and off , So manufactures charge so much because they wont sell many and want to recoup some money back for making them, the carbon R factory is quite expensive IIRC , basically if you can get the molds all the better that's where all the money is,

Last edited:
No, it was designed by Steve Kiddell and Pmac working from a American-made TWM one, which they made improvements to the design and quality of. The initial run being in carbon fibre, and then fibreglass after they sold the moulds to Mike for him to continue the project.

The backplates are fibreglass too, being undrilled to allow for different applications (triples or SUs, or different sizes - 40, 45, 48 etc.). They were £185 when I bought one. They came with the clips for DIY install too.

Good info. shame Steve Kiddell doesn't post on here anymore.

I spoke with the company tonight and they are going to send me some pictures of all the moulds.

I think the reason for their concern about moulds is that with Mike not around, would there be any future orders. I guess they don’t want to provide free storage just in case somebody happens to want a bumper in 6 months time. After talking with them today I feel we could get them to do a couple of runs of some popular parts. I like to keep a stock of bumper and spoilers and wouldn’t mind an airbox to try out.

I will pop over to see them and report back. I do feel that they may want it moved in the future if there is little demand for panels and I don’t expect them to allow just one mould to be taken I case they are left with all the others to dispose of. If anyone would like a very large van full of moulds then please step forward now.

The airbox mould would be nice and small, we could offer a run for club members, without mark ups on top, it should only be £100ish each?

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User

Nice work John never one to let grass grow under your feet.

Well you know what I’m after.