SJ Classics..

datsfun

Club Member
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C857225 : "Very Rust Free" !

Looking at thier offerings, these are just the sort of cars that gives people the impression that Datsuns are merely old rusty Jap-cr@p !

We need to see clean, original or restored cars for sale not these 'projects' !

Time to step up and set up SD Classics;) and offer clean, original or restored examples instead? :smash:

In the meantime, let SJ cater for market at the affordable end of the spectrum:driving:

datsfun

Club Member
Affordable ? How much will they cost finished ?

The same if not more! But you are missing the basic point:rolleyes:

Not everyone can stump upwards of £20k in one hit for the type of cars that SD Classics will sell. Most folk will eventually get their cars to that state by spreading the rebuild costs ( and work) over a few years cashflow permitting.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
But nobody is buying them Preet so maybe YOU'RE missing the point ?

Or maybe he is :

He hasn't sold any of the **** he has flooded onto ebay and yet more arrives...... These cars are poor condition relative to price as well, leave them in the States and bring over decent rust free cars at least.

Perhaps the market has evolved - does the UK market really want tired, project non-240Zs ? Are £7k project 240Zs viable when people can import them themselves and probably cleaner cars too ?

As part of the general public, all I see are rusty piles - have a look here and see how many rusty scroats there are :

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/clas...pe=&price=&keyword=911&S.x=35&S.y=10&S=Search

Gives a different (better) impression of the cars and their condition after so many years doesn't it !

yellowz

Club Member
Not everyone can stump upwards of £20k in one hit for the type of cars that SD Classics will sell. Most folk will eventually get their cars to that state by spreading the rebuild costs ( and work) over a few years cashflow permitting.

I'm loving the optimism, if you could just tell my Missus that I need the - few years and cashflow - sooner rather than later I might finish mine sometime this century! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
datsfun has been used to seeing and buying crusty old Datsuns for years so sees nothing amis here !

Sean, he sells lots of cars. He's also very honest which you couldn't say about a few of the well known importers. The £-$ is early equal, factor in shipping and it's getting more and more expensive. You know that.

Have you noticed how he provides so many pics, nothing to hide.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Nothing personal but they're still sheds very much in the public eye - giving bad impressions of our cars !

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I'm not saying that he or the cars are dishonest and no, not everyone can but the question remains that they'll cost nearly if not as much in the end....MY point is that by flooding the market with said 'projects', people'll look at Datsuns are say - rusty **** !

All the hard work, shows, efforts, articles, TV appearances is squished by rows of ugly metal.

One can't congratulate MZR and some other private cars up for sale 'Niel's orange one springs to mind, the green Irish one too) without having an opposite word to say about fresh off the boat ripe bananas !

datsfun

Club Member
datsfun has been used to seeing and buying crusty old Datsuns for years so sees nothing amis here !

Ouch, that's below the belt !

Actually in the non s30 " Datsun" world, i would always advocate what you are saying:eek:..Yep avoid the cheaper rustier projects and buy the best.

Why ?
A) often the cost of a full rebuild far outstrips the market worth of these models and
B) parts availability can be a pain. S30 parts are common as m#ck when compared to many Datsun models

I'm not saying that he or the cars are dishonest and no, not everyone can but the question remains that they'll cost nearly if not as much in the end....MY point is that by flooding the market with said 'projects', people'll look at Datsuns are say - rusty **** !

!

You could have the shiniest MZR example, the latest "barn find " fully restored samuri, RB powered 240z , sadly the ^^ people will always comeback to the same conclusion, this is nice but rest are all rusty ####. You can't change people's perception...:smash:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Ouch, that's below the belt !........ You can't change people's perception...:smash:

You have to let me score a point sometimes.:eek:

Then why have I been active in clubs:party: since 1989 in promoting them - was/am I stupid:beatdeadhorse:, wasting my time and effort ?:banghead:

I have to believe that "yes - we can".:conehead:

status

Well-Known Forum User
You are sumtimes stupid baldy just like me,the market is probably flooded with wot you call sheds, agree,datsuns will allways be called rust buckets in a lot of people's eyes but who is laughing now and as for promoting the Zed I think you will find most people on here ain't bothered,all them car shows we done in the 80 s and 90 s with Rob H and Frank M ect was that a waste of time ? Probably but we had a good crack,it's people's choice if they want but a bucket of crapp from where ever and from who ever cos you and me know the majority ain't gonner get done up,as Franky says the cars are described honestly

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I think it’s fair to say times are changing and there's a lot more Z love out there today then there once was. You only have to go to a few show's to see the crazy amounts of positive attention these cars get. I’ve been blown away by all of the comments and support I get wherever I take the car, there’s lots of people out there who lust after one of these still.

From my understanding given the reputation of Datsun’s and rust back in the day its hardly surprising that stereotyping exists, even though that similar reputation spreads across many different manufacturers of the period. If we're being realistic its only in the last decade that the S30 is finally being recognized by the general market place. Back in the 90’s I doubt the marque would have attracted much attention and I’m sure prices would have been fairly rock bottom. With the classic market booming and buyers being priced out at different levels everyone looks to what they can afford and that demand keeps the prices surging.

While a few dealers think they can make a quick few bucks on the back of this then they’ll keep bringing in basket cases in the hopes to make some easy money. Hopefully when they realise this isn’t the case and we see the market continue to rise (rather than being critical of the price hikes, regardless of condition) then suddenly there’s the financial sense in doing the high level restorations that we’d all like to see. I think for the UK though this will be a slower game unless someone can fabricate and produce a kit to convert cars to RHD then I imagine a lot of potential buyers will disappear. My car being LHD doesn’t bother me in the slightest however I know for a large proportion of people that’s game over before they’ve even put a foot in the door.

I get the impression that large contingent of owners on here have in some case owned their cars for decades and there’s not too many new faces, the fact that my membership no. is only 1093 speaks for itself. Ultimately if you want to raise the profile getting more people involved and out on a regular basis is a sure way to do that, using our cars regularly and drawing attention to the S30 should attract new interest and money which is ultimately what we should all be interested in doing as everyone wins then. Also engaging with social media is the new big thing whether we like it or not so it’s important to be spreading the word.

I'll follow this with interest.

I think it’s fair to say times are changing and there's a lot more Z love out there today then there once was. You only have to go to a few show's to see the crazy amounts of positive attention these cars get. I’ve been blown away by all of the comments and support I get wherever I take the car, there’s lots of people out there who lust after one of these still.

From my understanding given the reputation of Datsun’s and rust back in the day its hardly surprising that stereotyping exists, even though that similar reputation spreads across many different manufacturers of the period. If we're being realistic its only in the last decade that the S30 is finally being recognized by the general market place. Back in the 90’s I doubt the marque would have attracted much attention and I’m sure prices would have been fairly rock bottom. With the classic market booming and buyers being priced out at different levels everyone looks to what they can afford and that demand keeps the prices surging.

While a few dealers think they can make a quick few bucks on the back of this then they’ll keep bringing in basket cases in the hopes to make some easy money. Hopefully when they realise this isn’t the case and we see the market continue to rise (rather than being critical of the price hikes, regardless of condition) then suddenly there’s the financial sense in doing the high level restorations that we’d all like to see. I think for the UK though this will be a slower game unless someone can fabricate and produce a kit to convert cars to RHD then I imagine a lot of potential buyers will disappear. My car being LHD doesn’t bother me in the slightest however I know for a large proportion of people that’s game over before they’ve even put a foot in the door.

I get the impression that large contingent of owners on here have in some case owned their cars for decades and there’s not too many new faces, the fact that my membership no. is only 1093 speaks for itself. Ultimately if you want to raise the profile getting more people involved and out on a regular basis is a sure way to do that, using our cars regularly and drawing attention to the S30 should attract new interest and money which is ultimately what we should all be interested in doing as everyone wins then. Also engaging with social media is the new big thing whether we like it or not so it’s important to be spreading the word.

I'll follow this with interest.

Any 'anti Datsun' press came mainly from the UK car industry and those 'working' in it. As a way to try and make up for producing cars that were(still are) 20 years behind the Japanese. Have a look around 80's/90's uk built cars, much worse than a 1960's design Datsun/Nissan.

I guess in the long run the Japanese did get the last laugh though, look at the state of the car industry that we dragged along with tax payers money for so long.

I wouldn't describe the cars of SJ classics as basket cases, some of them need more work but generally good.

If people are shy of LHD cars, all the better in my book, those people must really have the blinkers on. There doesn't seem to be much trouble selling them. I would prefer to have a RHD car, however one that was in the same condition and originality didn't exist, if it did, it'd be out of my price range, its not a feature that I value enough to pay that sort of difference for.

LHD/RHD/Original/Project, it's engaging people in the cars, the rusty ones just help to show the value of those that aren't, they're all helping develop the parts market for the cars which help us all.

status

Well-Known Forum User
Woody we use to do loads of shows back in the 80 s -90 s the Zeds did get a lot of atention then,as for the rust I can think of many cars that turned out to be rust buckets some worse than others all the Ford,Vauxhall,British leyland,all the Italian cars We're worse than the jap cars for rust and yes some of us have had our Zeds a long time,mine cost me £2600

SacCyclone

Club Member
This discussion just reaffirms my position that the best cars to import to the UK are complete, running, and mostly rust free sun burned cars.

Yes they are LHD, however they are solid drivers that can be worked on at leisure and contain the parts needed during restoration. A entry level price for collector car status.

Last edited by a moderator: