Silverstone Classic, is the ZClub attending officially?

Ped

Club Member
Just got the latest issue (August 2016) of Practical Classics delivered. They have a write up on the forthcoming Silverstone Classic on page 18: "This year more than 100 clubs will be taking part... from the Arbarth Owners Club to the Z Club..."

Is this right? Does the ZClub have a stand? I have tickets for the Saturday, just hadn't seen anything about a stand. :confused:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Just got the latest issue (August 2016) of Practical Classics delivered. They have a write up on the forthcoming Silverstone Classic on page 18: "This year more than 100 clubs will be taking part... from the Arbarth Owners Club to the Z Club..."

Is this right? Does the ZClub have a stand? I have tickets for the Saturday, just hadn't seen anything about a stand. :confused:

No we don't have a stand and there is no such car as an Arbarth (should read Abarth). I think they just mean A-Z really, misleading I know.

richiep

Club Member
As Status notes, the Classic Z Register always have a stand at Silverstone. Tickets are well pricey for that event.

Our lack of presence does remind me of a theme I was discussing with someone at the weekend though - the sheer lack of national level events that the club participates in. Donington Historic, Japfest. That's it. Hardly encouraging participation is it?

Although, of course, I'm not blind to the underlying problem - organising these things takes time, effort, money, and is often relatively thankless (see my little moan recently about running out of patience with organising the local Tatton Park event). It requires people to get off their ***** and actually attend too, which seems a challenge much of the time. It's still sad that we aren't pursuing a presence at large events like Japfest Rock, JAE, Japshow, etc.

Then again, the weather this summer has been so ****, what does it matter!

Jake RAH

Well-Known Forum User
I could be wrong but I think it's too late to get your Z into the event even with the Classic Z Register this year as booking your car in through the event website now seems to have closed.

status

Well-Known Forum User
I was quoted 54 quid to get in ,put petrol in my car to get there and home again,that's 40 quid ,to put it on show so someone can make Shyte LOADSa money from Jo public and those that bother get sweet fa for there efforts,expensive day out ,I can go see West Ham for less,then people wonder why they struggle to get people to attend,exhibitors should not be charged,after all it's them that make the show

Ped

Club Member
I didn't think the ZClub had a stand, it's just they have printed it in the mag, so I thought I would check.

Cost to get in on a day ticket is a crippler, but I haven't been before, so fancied it.

Will be at Simply Japanese the following day too, much more reasonable.

andrew muir

Club Member
Most of the shows that I attend are very expensive as they are all a long way down south, I was contemplateing going to the silverstone classic as the car will be good but at £90 for petrol £120 for 2 nights accomodation so entry fee was just way too much. I could almost go on a weeks holiday to Spain for that money.

I find it really expensive going to shows as due to the distance I always require accomodation and fuel etc is expensive, and I really don't think anyone realises how much these events cost to us here up north.:eek:

Jake RAH

Well-Known Forum User
I'm biting the bullet on this one and going. I normally go anyway as It's just down the road from me. Took the Z in last year & taking it in again this year.
I agree that many of these car events are way expensive. The one's that make me laugh are the 'a to b' drives, for eg 'Gaydon to Bicester', all of 30miles and they charge like £60 or £70 for the privilege. I'd rather put some of that money into the fuel tank and go for a good days blatting round the same lanes and clock up 100 miles or so, have a good lunch out and still have change for a few beers when I get home.
Round these parts(North Cotswolds/Midlands) the are some great classic car & hot rod meets every week over the summer and just about all of them are FREE.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I find it really expensive going to shows as due to the distance I always require accomodation and fuel etc is expensive, and I really don't think anyone realises how much these events cost to us here up north.:eek:

I drove up to the Scottish meet at Pitlocry back in 1991 - I know !

Anyway, next time at LMClassic, stay with us in our camping - keeps the costs down and the atmosphere humming.

That's why I don't bother no more

That's because your Doris prefers flying to Marbella.

status

Well-Known Forum User
She is down the caravan in Mersea,just got back from Kos which is only a bit more than Ian would end up paying if he went,I only do the Matching green classic car show now cos it's free,down the road,and a great selection of cars but no body has organised it the last 2 years so no Zed stand which is a shame as there was usually 10+ Zeds ,mainly 240s and 260s,so not been for 2 years,next one will be the Le- mans classic but I won't be getting dressed up like a poof,sold me crevate so it will e shorts I'm afraid,well I have got nice legs anyway

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
s but no body has organised it the last 2 years so no Zed stand which is a shame as there was usually 10+ Zeds ,mainly 240s and 260s,so not been for 2 years,next one will be the Le- mans classic but I won't be getting dressed up like a poof,sold me crevate so it will e shorts I'm afraid,

Organise your local Z meet yourself mate - that's how I started back in '89 at the Stowe A-Healey show.

LMClassic - you'll forget until it's too late - long way off.

status

Well-Known Forum User
I took over from Lucy as regards to organising the Matching green CCC s,done it for about 6 years then someone took it upon themselves to butt in and take over without talking to me about it,we agreed that I would receive the info by email so as I could start to organise it again but two years later I'm still waiting for the email,shame really as we did get a very good turn out,hence I don't bother no more,I just do me own thing,unless someone needs a hand,if I can I will.another ones bit the dust

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
next time at LMClassic, stay with us in our camping - keeps the costs down and the atmosphere humming.

There is certainly a strong hum when camping at Le Mans. Didn't realise it was the atmosphere
Next time, hotel for me. I'm sure you'll say your campsite is fine, but I've been many times and never not had to queue for toilets and showers with no bog paper or hot water. Yuk.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Jon.

If you want top-comfort and to be able to take a shower exactly when you want - you can't beat a hotel even if it will take take you a lot lot longer to reach it from the circuit - we were 6 minutes away.

Toilets were cleaned and toilet paper replaced (never ran out) twice a day with bins emptied every two days. Full 220v electricity and at 8am, there was a queue of 5 people so once I just showered later in the day and at night which, bearing in mind how hot it was during the day, wasn't a bad idea. And there were 4x sanitary blocks to choose from and we could see the closest (25m away to judge the best time).

The bad point about a hotel in this insular world (if one was desperate, one of the camping cars would have let you shower) - we create for ourselves is missing out on what Le Mans is all about - see photos.

Life is choices but our camping was superb - don't discount it next time.;)

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 10

status

Well-Known Forum User
The bog situ hasn't changed then,had same problem in 08,wouldn't let it put me off though,camping is part of of it

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
No bog rolls in the bog when camping Pah

Always used to take my own roll with me when I was camping and always carried a few sheets In my pocket just in case the bogs provided ran out ( unused sheets before anyone asks) and even still do it when I attend any car show for a day or more even when not camping

But lets be honest the provision of toilets is a bit like Glamping to the older members

Bring back hole you used to have to dig in the ground the only trouble with that was you had to carry a spade as bog paper with you

And we all pine for the good old days PAH

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Where I was, there was a queue from 6AM to 2AM. Your site does look nicer Sean. Maybe I'll visit it next time, from my hotel. :)