Show off your rear plates, size required.

madda

Well-Known Forum User
What size black and silver rear plates do you guys run? I want to replace mine but the legal size is too big. Pics of what you have done and even suppliers will be hugely appreciated. Thanks

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Wasn't your car registered in '74? If so, black and silver plates would be illegal, but it's a good question and I'd also like to hear some suggestions as I haven't got any plates at the moment and would like to know what will fit!

Wyn

Club Member
Think I got mine from a Sunday market.
The guy edited the size of the border and cut the plate to fit the size required
Didn't charge any more either

Attachments

• plate.jpg
    plate.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 55

datty240Z

Well-Known Forum User
Mine are 7" x 13". This is the correct Japanese size but as you state uk size numbers are too big so I use Metro letters. Always have to put yellow/white plates also this size on for Mot.

Dale

Club Member
I believe that the plate itself can be any size so long as the numbers and letters are the correct size and spaced correctly.

madda

Well-Known Forum User
Datty, I've measured up and that's the size I want to go for. Do you by chance remember who made it? Are you running a pressed metal one between MOTs? ;)

datty240Z

Well-Known Forum User
Datty, I've measured up and that's the size I want to go for. Do you by chance remember who made it? Are you running a pressed metal one between MOTs? ;)

They were made by Mike Wylie's in Belfast. He made both my yellow/white and my black plates. They're both plastic plates.

madda

Well-Known Forum User
Wasn't your car registered in '74? If so, black and silver plates would be illegal, but it's a good question and I'd also like to hear some suggestions as I haven't got any plates at the moment and would like to know what will fit!

My car is a 73 but interested in how you think you know which is mine? :confused:

nospark

Well-Known Forum User
your car was registered in August 1973. There is a lot of talk on the internet about the date of registration relating to black number plates. It is the date of MANUFACTURE that is relevant ie pre January 1973. Lets say your car was made in Japan in December 1972. By the time it left the factory and sailed around the world that used up 6 months. It then sat at the Datsun uk dealership for say at least 3 months before being sold and registered. Good case for claiming your car can sport black number plates.

madda

Well-Known Forum User
your car was registered in August 1973. There is a lot of talk on the internet about the date of registration relating to black number plates. It is the date of MANUFACTURE that is relevant ie pre January 1973. Lets say your car was made in Japan in December 1972. By the time it left the factory and sailed around the world that used up 6 months. It then sat at the Datsun uk dealership for say at least 3 months before being sold and registered. Good case for claiming your car can sport black number plates.

:)

Mine was registered in August 1973, so is on a 'M' plate and therefore arguably shouldn't be on black and silver plates, but, given how much better they look and how little it will be on the road, I don't much care about the legalities. Given what you have said above, I care even less :)

On that point, its all 100% legal now, so are you getting yours out again this year? :cheers:

Gio

Well-Known Forum User
There are 2 issues here: 1) can I have black/silver plates at the rear and 2) can I use smaller-than-UK-legal digits so I can have a smaller plate.
1) Vehicles constructed (not registered, constructed) before 1.1.73 may display traditional style "black and white" plates i.e. white, silver or grey characters on a black plate. Lettering must either be 89mm or 79mm high.
2) Certain imported vehicles may be permitted to display number plates with smaller characters if a) the vehicle does not have EC Whole Vehicle Type Approval and b) the vehicles construction / design cannot accomodate standard size number plates. This lets you use 64mm heigh characters.

Remember, it is not the size of the plate itself that is set by the law, it is the font size and spacing that is set. If you have a short number (like mine) you don't have to have a plate that is long enough for a full size reg no.

If you want to be 100% legal, the smallest height for a traditional black/white plate with two lines is 11mm top margin + 79mm character + 11mm space + 79mm + 11mm bottom margin = 191mm or 7.5".

If your space is restricted (like in the rear bumper cutout for the JDM Z32) then that calc is 10 + 64 +10 + 64 + 10 = 158mm or 6.2"

Now a JDM plate is 13" x 6.5" (I believe other sizes too but not sure exactly) which is 330mm x 165mm so if you can justify the "cannot accommodate standard size" criterion, then you can legally (UK legal) have (and have MOT'ed) JDM size plates on your import (with the UK legal caption of who made them).

As it happens, if you use UK size letters on a JDM plate, that's NOT legal because your vertical spacing will be wrong.

I attach both the actual legislation and a DVLA guide (which is now almost impossible to find on the web). I carry a copy of both of these in the glovebox in case of plod / MOT not knowing the law. Not needed so far.

Also, here is the place I get mine from https://www.craigsplates.com/import-number-plates

Attachments

• DVLA Number plates.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • Road Vehicles Reg Marks Regulations 2002.PDF
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:

bluejon

Club Member
There are 2 issues here: 1) can I have black/silver plates at the rear and 2) can I use smaller-than-UK-legal digits so I can have a smaller plate.
1) Vehicles constructed (not registered, constructed) before 1.1.73 may display traditional style "black and white" plates i.e. white, silver or grey characters on a black plate. Lettering must either be 89mm or 79mm high.
2) Certain imported vehicles may be permitted to display number plates with smaller characters if a) the vehicle does not have EC Whole Vehicle Type Approval and b) the vehicles construction / design cannot accomodate standard size number plates. This lets you use 64mm heigh characters.

Remember, it is not the size of the plate itself that is set by the law, it is the font size and spacing that is set. If you have a short number (like mine) you don't have to have a plate that is long enough for a full size reg no.

If you want to be 100% legal, the smallest height for a traditional black/white plate with two lines is 11mm top margin + 79mm character + 11mm space + 79mm + 11mm bottom margin = 191mm or 7.5".

If your space is restricted (like in the rear bumper cutout for the JDM Z32) then that calc is 10 + 64 +10 + 64 + 10 = 158mm or 6.2"

Now a JDM plate is 13" x 6.5" (I believe other sizes too but not sure exactly) which is 330mm x 165mm so if you can justify the "cannot accommodate standard size" criterion, then you can legally (UK legal) have (and have MOT'ed) JDM size plates on your import (with the UK legal caption of who made them).

As it happens, if you use UK size letters on a JDM plate, that's NOT legal because your vertical spacing will be wrong.

Also, here is the place I get mine from https://www.craigsplates.com/import-number-plates

Thanks for this useful summary. DVLA have just granted me a year-appropriate J registration :rofl: to replace the existing Irish plates. So I need to source some black/silver plates. From the above though I don't see a solution to the rear plate.

• UK standard rear plates do not fit (the currently fitted ones have been cut to squeeze in which looks daft)
  • JDM plates do fit and can accommodate smaller UK font, but a JDM plate is white not black.
  • US plates are too small vertically unless it had a frame border added and while mine is a US origin car, but I don't want US style plates, and would that even be legal?
So I'm thinking I need a custom made black/silver plate in JDMish size with the smaller UK font size.

But I can ask one obvious question too which is .. what size plate does an original UK car have on the rear ... anyone know or can show a picture ?

Last edited by a moderator:

johnymd

Club Member
My preferred look is a single row of letter/numbers for the rear. The American plates fit just right and have the single row by making the lettering narrow but still quite tall. Is there a specified width as well as height?

highway star

Well-Known Forum User
I have a small rear plate. there's a picture in the gallery. Technically it's illegal coz it's black and silver on a '74 car, but the font size and spacing etc are legal. I've never been stopped over it and I just put yellow and white ones on for it's MOT