Shock absorber gaiters

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
One of my gaiters is totally destroyed and the RockAuto ones don’t fit properly and are hard plastic not rubber - so avoid!!!!

The MSA ones are obscenely priced!!!

So I’m wondering what people are using?

I can see some MX5 and Honda Civic ones that sort of look right in the pics but I can’t find dimensions before I buy.

Or are there generic ones like steering rack boots that one cuts to size?

Any advice most gratefully received.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
The originals on the car are:

I/D: 66mm wide end and 55mm narrow end with a spring clip

Length: c. 200mm

This is the closest I can get to the dimensions and looks

https://www.classicbikeshop.co.uk/bsa-fork-gaiters-42-5320.html

3793f9a15ef31a96a41876e9d26d910f.png

03a035bd80b97a968ed99b7821cb14a2.png

Last edited:

Farmer42

Club Member
I am glad you have asked this question. I am in the same position and was also wondering where to get them.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I am glad you have asked this question. I am in the same position and was also wondering where to get them.

Excellent Paul, I will likely order the bike ones on Monday and will let you know how well they fit.

I think it’s a US market think, I certainly don’t have them on my car.

That’s interesting I didn’t realise these things were regional!!! I have never played with shocks that didn’t have dust covers! [emoji106]

I wouldn't bother Mr K.

you can't see if the dampers leaking either. i know you love a shiny rod.

Given I really don’t want to take apart the other shock assemblies to match the naked one and how much crud I found in m wheel arches after Silverstone last year, I would sleep better using protection on my shiny rod!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Just looked up RockAuto. There are several makes of bellows but this one says that it is 100% natural rubber so should have more 'give' in it than the plastic ones..

Not sure what the fit is like but might be worth a look.

That is identical to the ones I got. Maybe the pic is the same and the actual item is different. On my car at least, the spring top cap thing has a special ring for the boot to clamp around which is 66mm. The bottom of the boot that mounts onto the strut tubes is 55mm. So with the given dimensions, unless you install the Rockauto one upside down, it’s not going to fit well. IMHO of course!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Ok uncle Paul, what you see below is the original on the sprint top hat. The 80mm outer ring fits perfectly into the first springy bits and holds really tightly.

acb5ee563d46ef24d2c686bfe527237a.plist
3f626a51135d14627a71a9de44bb0ced.plist
eb7492fa66511d932202ea0a9c82d531.plist

And here’s the Rockauto one I bought ...

The small end goes inside but the top hat ring but the wide end is too wide to seal onto the strut tube and you have to ditch the bump stop.

4ebeae0e4b9a6a94c140087bfd9f13d7.jpg

The bump stop fits perfectly into the top hat, but wide end of the gaiter doesn’t. This way around, the small end gets close to fitting the strut tube but you need to cut it vertically and add a spring clip - which over time with compression and constant vibration will make the cut grow.

2a79f8d347e9558622fde5b2b0031fbc.jpg

Will keep you posted how I get on with the motorbike ones - unless Simone comes up with a better one that fits.

Last edited:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Well success!!!

The BSA bike ones work with a small mod. Without the mod it fits inside the ring of the spring top hat and I would prefer to fit it that way - but I can’t figure a way to secure it in there so that it doesn’t pop out when the spring is fully extended.

Here is what they look like:

846c8b59200f521991f439a3d236cae2.plist

I managed to get it on without cutting but it covered the drain holes and was a total pain. Then taking about 3-4 mm off the top helps get it on better and doesn’t block the holes.

31ba4c9f5cffe0158ca07058743fa1a2.jpg

This is how the one I took off was fitted and the new one goes on the same.

2835e0387e3f6eecd98db0ecccaac96b.jpg

The other end fits perfectly over the shock tower body and is tight enough to hold itself on, but it will be getting a clip ring thing.

@Farmer42 - I ordered two sets by mistake so I have a pair more than I need. Would you like me to put them in the post to you?

Farmer42

Club Member
Yes please. I'll PM you with the details. Not sure when I will get round to doing them as I have a shed load of stuff going on at the moment not least trying to get my power steering build finished. I'll have to blow the dust and cobwebs off my spring compressors - if I can find them. :EXTRAconfused:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Strangely my springs didn’t even need compressors, they sit loose until the car loads them up. Sometimes there’s a sliver of finding something positive ;)

Last edited: