Servo Help

asbojohn

Club Member
Well I've had the car up a running for a couple of weeks now.

This morning on the way back from getting the carbs sorted this morning the servo decided to give up leaving me with a big brown pant moment. :eek:

Does anyone have any ideas where I might be able to find a replacement unit until I can get mine rebuilt?

Cheers

John

asbojohn

Club Member
Thank Maxim not an off the shelf part so likely to have too wait. Was hoping someone might have a spare or old unit knocking about while I get the current one refurbed.

Typical really just as I was getting some use out of the car and getting it sorted

strugrat

Club Member
I got one for my car from Rockauto in the states about a year ago was pretty speedy delivery if I recall.

Before that I sent the duff one to PastParts in Suffolk who couldn't rebuild it because they were unable to match the diaphragm to anything they could get their hands on. Maybe ok with yours depending on what's broken.

asbojohn

Club Member
I got one for my car from Rockauto in the states about a year ago was pretty speedy delivery if I recall.

Before that I sent the duff one to PastParts in Suffolk who couldn't rebuild it because they were unable to match the diaphragm to anything they could get their hands on. Maybe ok with yours depending on what's broken.

Both of those popped up last night on my trawl on the web. Thanks for the heads up with PastParts.

I'll drop a few PM's as suggested and see what Mike can source first. Oh well looks like another few weeks off the road :(

johnymd

Club Member
I do have a spare that was working fine but when I fitted it in 2010 I couldn't get the brakes to work so ended up swapping it for another that worked fine.

Farmer42

Club Member
Well I've had the car up a running for a couple of weeks now.

This morning on the way back from getting the carbs sorted this morning the servo decided to give up leaving me with a big brown pant moment. :eek:

Does anyone have any ideas where I might be able to find a replacement unit until I can get mine rebuilt?

Cheers

John

You probably know how a servo works so apologies if I state the obvious but are you sure it's the servo and not the master cylinder?

It depends on which way the brakes went. If you had no pedal at all and it went flat on the floor, it's your MS but if it went rock hard with no assistance, then it is your servo. Have you checked for vacuum leaks on the hose from the inlet manifold? Is there any vacuum to the servo body?

Might be worth checking all this before the painstaking search for a new servo.

Paul

asbojohn

Club Member
Hi Paul,

Definitely the servo unit the brakes went rock hard and if you listen carefully you can hear it losing vacuum.

This was the only thing on the braking side that didn't get replaced or serviced.

The search for a replacement hasn't been too bad Mr F can source me a refurbed unit in a couple of weeks and a couple of the kind folk on here are going to look behind the sofa to see what they have in hiding.

Cheers

John

Jhepb1

Well-Known Forum User
I have a couple of servos lying in the garage. Pay the postage, and I'll send you one. If it works pay me a tenner.

ttd322

Forum User
Hi every one I need a servo referring or replacement any one this any suggestions the car is a 240z 1971 losing vacuum
I'm in Leeds