Sean's new engine swap...

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
As Sean has not mentioned (on here) what he is doing for an L series replacement engine swap, here is what he has written elsewhere....

SeanZ - HybridZ
and
BMW S54 swap - HybridZ

All slightly amusing considering how other peoples L series and hybrid swaps are talked about in not the most favourable terms (in his view) and his coming across as "being part of the winning team" of the L series.

Anyway, could be interesting....

He should have used the e36 m3 engine, I know how to make that run on its standard ECU, £1.5k would have you running a 325bhp engine with factory diagnostics.

Also the 5speed box is 17kg lighter than the 6speed, and has a better quality shift.

It'll be interesting to see with the s54 though.

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
He should have used the e36 m3 engine, I know how to make that run on its standard ECU, £1.5k would have you running a 325bhp engine with factory diagnostics.

Also the 5speed box is 17kg lighter than the 6speed, and has a better quality shift.

It'll be interesting to see with the s54 though.

I've been thinking about an M3 engine and box for a long while now, I'd rather have a V8 but that's just not practical these days I personally think.

Franky what are your thoughts on the reliability of the M3 engine ?, The only thing that worries me is fixing the bl00dy thing if it goes wrong.

And just how easy would it be to get the ECU working properly in the Z ?.

Rob

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Ian, thats brilliant :cheers:

Sometimes, just when you are feeling a little jaded by life, along comes a little snippet that makes it all worthwhile.:thumbs:

Sadly for some, it may mean that the great L Gata duel at Santa pod may not take place (phew I was worried for a moment, oh ok so I wasn’t:rofl::lol:).

Anyway enough of the sardonicism….vive la différence

Rob
For the average man, the M3 engine to all intents and purposes should be treated as a sealed unit, various jigs are needs for correct reassembly , the bearings are sized, the tolerances are exact, the valve train a work of art, effectively its a blueprinted factory engine....a very very nice bit of kit.
The existing ECU could be used or an aftermarket ECU could be fitted with little pain

Last edited by a moderator:

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
i can’t help feeling that any non-l series engine in a z will also disappoint !
:d
..............but it’s no longer a z and won’t behave as such !
Now, if one puts in a supra/300tt/skyline engine(modern state of the art) in an s30 it's no longer a z !
more than 300 in an s30 is quite frankly ridiculous for the road and i'm sure is undriveable as a pleasure :

I've been thinking about an M3 engine and box for a long while now, I'd rather have a V8 but that's just not practical these days I personally think.

Franky what are your thoughts on the reliability of the M3 engine ?, The only thing that worries me is fixing the bl00dy thing if it goes wrong.

And just how easy would it be to get the ECU working properly in the Z ?.

Rob

Very reliable, I've built 2 cars with them. Twin pickup sump as standard, they need to be warm before revving high. I'd avoid anything thats been mapped to rev to 8k as they ten to start spinning shells. Cranks can still be bought new at a cost. A simple hone/rings/bearings/gaskets runs to about 1.8k, the timing needs special tools to set but can be done at home if you've got the bits and knowledge.

An e36 s50 engine is an easy beast to get running, but you need the ews stuff that's matched to the ecu. The later s54 isn't worth the hassle as you need to run standard clocks in addition to the ecu/fbw throttle/ews stuff. You can use a aftermarket ecu from dta(1k ish) But mapping cOsts if done correctly are huge as both cams can vary by 60deg. A lot of extra cost(3k or more) for an extra 10ish bhp.

Heavy engines though, an engine comes in at 250kg.

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
Very reliable, I've built 2 cars with them. Twin pickup sump as standard, they need to be warm before revving high. I'd avoid anything thats been mapped to rev to 8k as they ten to start spinning shells. Cranks can still be bought new at a cost. A simple hone/rings/bearings/gaskets runs to about 1.8k, the timing needs special tools to set but can be done at home if you've got the bits and knowledge.

An e36 s50 engine is an easy beast to get running, but you need the ews stuff that's matched to the ecu. The later s54 isn't worth the hassle as you need to run standard clocks in addition to the ecu/fbw throttle/ews stuff. You can use a aftermarket ecu from dta(1k ish) But mapping cOsts if done correctly are huge as both cams can vary by 60deg. A lot of extra cost(3k or more) for an extra 10ish bhp.

Heavy engines though, an engine comes in at 250kg.

Thanks Frank that gives me food for thought, I'd like about 300 bhp but don't want to spend a small fortune getting their, I can rebuild my spare 2.8 engine I could go for the M3 engine or I could take the easy road and just bolt the matching S14 engine on the front of my S14A gearbox lol.

Rob

johnymd

Club Member
NO ! STOP ! don't do it. It will ruin the Z and make it worthless as you've been saying for years.

Hybrids are not all they're made out to be. I've spent well over 1k now and still not reached 400hp. I also struggle to get much over 35mpg. So you need to think long and hard as to wheather a hybrid is for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
I also struggle to get much over 35mpg. So you need to think long and hard as to wheather a hybrid is for you.

Compared to the standard L6 on triple webers or even twin SU's 35mpg is just a pipe dream lol, I'm be happy to get 25mpg lol.:cool:

Rob

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
There won't be many of us left running L series motors on carbs and even less on SUs! How many on here still use the choke when starting their 70s cars. That is Classic Car motoring :thumbs:

:driving:

johnymd

Club Member
I play with the choke lever to make me feel like I'm driving a 70's car but I couldn't work out how to attach it to when I swapped engines!