Scuttle / cowl drain hose replacement

nospark

Well-Known Forum User
Called the Side Dash Drain Hose in the Nissan Manual. It is the rubber hose that directs water from the scuttle/cowl down into the inner wing.

Any advice/tips where I can get a replacement ? Is this diameter/shape hose generally a common part that motor factors stock or is it a part unique to the Z ? (The picture in the manual seems to show the hose with a collar, though my perished hose doesn't have this collar. Non collar would work fine if easier to source)
Thanks

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
I might have a spare one somewhere or PMAC might

well you look first!!
It will be unique to the car and its secured with Nissan wire hose clips
Let me know if you havent got one Mike and I will get on sorted;)

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I had a look tonight and could not find one,all yours pete

nospark

Well-Known Forum User
Pete, please let me know if you dig anything out.
Failing that, I've just seem some flexible waste pipe in Wickes that might do the job. Or, a top radiator hose pipe from something might have potential. Photos of old BMC stuff seem to have a similar bend. Diameter will be an issue
Gareth

sjcurtis

Forum User
Hi,
A task I am tackling right now. due to the nature of the part and the criticality of zero leaks I have opted for an engine water pipe for future protection of the floor of the foot wells. I have already done the first change out for the drivers side on my HS30 'Sport" not trimming or change required and fits well with a little effort, I have just grabbed the other pipe to give you some detail if it helps. The manufacturer of the pipe mackay.rubber.com.au Part number CH2010 Replacement for OEM number 1657254270. The pipe is from a Toyota light truck '4 runner' lower radiator engine pipe for the 2.8-3.0 litre Diesel. E bay or google search or even OEM TOYOTA might help you. All I can say is I have the solution I was seeking with both my NISSAN OEM pipes perished. Good luck. Steve

PeterAllen

Well-Known Forum User
Just a comment on those drain hoses.

It is a rather average design which directs the water to run down the lower portion of the 'A' pillar. There is a suggestion that this facilitates water entering the sill (rocker panel) and contributes to the rapid rusting of the dogleg area, Nothing is conclusive but you might want to consider checking the sealing where the sill attaches to the 'A' pillar, and/or, running an extension from the drain hose to exit below the floor pan.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
You might also want to simply attached a longer drain pipe to allow the water to drip harmlessly onto the road, avoiding all the metal panels.

sjcurtis

Forum User
Great comment Peter, I hope everyone checks that area well before committing the 240Z to the road. They have all been affected by some unknown road conditions over time that set up structural deteriation. For me, I found the poor material selection for the OEM rubber tubes very frustrating. My lower sills have been reworked and sealed, the solution I am working delivers all the water to the air gap between upright and inner face of the guard as per the OEM design. The hose I selected provides the closest thing to what Sean points out. The hose is very close to the guard skin well away from the upright, any torrent of water will hit the guard, then down and out. I agree it is all about getting the best surety possible from the work we do to preserve what we have in all its forms. Nothing takes away our obligation to be diligent.