Scottish Orkney Isles Tour Sept 2006

suzy

Well-Known Forum User
SCOTTISH ORKNEY ISLES TOUR

SEPTEMBER 2006.

After lots of people asking us when we were going to do another Scottish Zed Tour I decided 2006 would be the year to do it.

The Orkney Islands are one of Scotland’s most beautiful places steeped in history those of you who paid attention in your history class at school. Will remember that Scapa Flow’s waters in Orkney were where the German Navy’s fleet was captured in world war one then scuttled by her crew in an attempt to stop the British from taking their battleships

Also in world war two the Royal Oak was torpedoed and sank killing most on board and is now a war grave. If you fly over its resting-place you can still see this mighty ship lying on its side under the deep Scapa Flow waters.

How would you like to visit the sunken world war one German Fleet without getting wet? Well believe it or not you can. No you don’t go in a diving suit or a submarine you sit in a converted fishing trawler in the warmth with a cup of tea, and with the aid of an R.O.V. (Remote operated vehicle) it plunges the depths and transmits pictures to you via a TV screen its fantastic I’ve seen it.

How about a visit to the many Viking settlements dotted around or visiting the many artists studio’s and craft and jewellery manufactures.

There is a distillery on the Island, a Brewery not to mention countless museums, shopping in Kirkwall Orkneys capital is a must, also for all you nature lovers the wildlife and scenery is astonishing to say the least. There is so much to see and do you will never get round it all believe me.

Eating out in Orkney is not expensive and the food is superb, their seafood is the freshest and best ever or if you have a sweet tooth try Orkney fudge or the Ice Cream they are gorgeous.

Whether you want a relaxing time or prefer walking or driving your zed over unspoilt roads (no speed cameras) then why not join us.

This holiday is going to be fun for all age groups including kids and dogs (adults also!!) With beach “Barbie’s” (weather permitting).

A fishing trip is planned for anyone interested I am going to keep it very informal with no rota of events. We will just discuss the evening before what everyone wants to do the next day. If someone wants to do their own thing well that’s perfectly ok.

Kathleen and myself along with our friend Elma and our best mates Kyle and Buddy (our two flat-coated retrievers) will be coming in two zeds, which will be the red 300ZX and our 240Z Samuri.

Accommodation on Orkney is not expensive and is varied. You can have a choice of Hotels, B&B, Self-catering Cottages, also overnight lodges or for more adventurous there is camping and caravan sites.

We are staying at the Commodore Chalets, St Mary’s Holm Orkney in a self -catering chalet, so is John and Sharon Hunter. They have nine chalets and six overnight lodges so if it suits you call 01856 781319 or log on to www.commodorechalets.co.uk and get it booked.

It would be nice if everyone could stay up this end of the island or at St Margarets Hope as this would keep us altogether, also its where our ferry will take us all into. Plus we can see the Italian chapel from our chalet which was built by Italian P.O.W’s during the war (in a Nissan hut!!) it is a very humbling experience visiting it.

For all information on accommodation or places to visit go to www.visitorkney.com or call 01856 872856 and get a brochure. Then you will definitely want to go with us, another great contact is www.visitscotland.com or call 0845 2255121, for help with accommodation.

We expect a big response for this spectacular event, which will hopefully be televised and also featured in the press and motoring publications. I am at the moment trying to find a worthwhile charity in Orkney, that we could maybe make a donation to help them and also to promote our clubs and cars in Scotland. One thought is to offer short runs in our cars to passengers for a donation on the first Sunday of our arrival I reckon it would be well received if properly advertised on the Island before hand.

Most are staying for 1 week but its up to yourselves how long you want stay if several days are all you can spare then fine, you won’t be disappointed.

Departure point will be on Friday September 8th from Caithness Glass Visitor Centre car park Inveralmond Ind Estate Perth at 10.30am prompt.

Just follow the A9 for Inverness and you will see the Industrial Estate on the left at the Inveralmond roundabout.

We will travel in convoy up the A9 to Inverness, which is 111 miles then over the Kessock Bridge on to the Black Isle. Where we will stop for lunch somewhere. After lunch it will be a very leisurely drive approx 115 miles up to Caithness through the most breathtaking scenery possible, look out for dolphins and seals as you cross the bridges over the Dornoch and Cromarty Firth. We will travel up through Golspie, and Helmsdale then on to Wick, following the coast up to the U K’s most northerly point John 0 Groats, where a few photos are a must.

We are staying on the Friday night in B&B at Gills Bay which is where Pentland Ferries Terminal is so we have a few minutes travel on Saturday morning, to catch the ferry to Orkney. I would suggest you find accommodation in Wick, Thurso, John O Groats and Gills bay areas to be near the ferry. There is another ferry service from Scrabster but it is more costly and takes twice as long to get to Orkney plus it takes us to the opposite end of the Island from where we are staying.

Ferry costs are £27.50 single fare for a car plus £11.50 per passenger so typical price car +2 adults return fare would be £78.00 total which is the cheapest route and is operated by Pentland Ferries www.pentlandferries.co.uk or Tel 01856 831226. You will definitely have to book in advance to be sure of a place on board.

We are all crossing on Sat 9th Sept 09.45 am from Gills Bay and returning Sat 16th Sept 12 noon. Please note you must be at the departure point 30 minutes before the ferry’s departure.

This trip is involving 3 different clubs The Datsun Z Club, The Classic Z Register, and The Datsun Owners Club. So we are guaranteed a good selection of cars both standard and modified.

When you have made your bookings you must contact us to let us know your car details as I need to submit details of what’s going to various publications and hopefully get an offer of motoring journalists coming with us and doing a feature on us and our cars.

Contact us on malcolm@samuri240z.fsnet.co.uk or call 01575 574221 before 9pm or 07711543941 any questions or help regarding accommodation etc please get in touch.

Finally some numbers of B&B and Hotels for 1 night stay Friday 8th Sept around the John O Groats area ask about parking for your cars.

Mrs M Mackay 01847 851710

Mrs Jill Wilkins 01955 611254

Sinclair Bay Hotel 01955 631233

Bencorragh House 01955 611449

Mr A L Grant 01955 611251

Mrs S Houston 01955 611239.

P.S

Remember to bring some warm clothing for possible boat trips, also make sure your car is serviced and prepared for the trip, might be a good idea to carry spare fan belt and set of points etc plus a few tools in case, also a RAC or AA membership might be advisable, although you shouldn’t need either as datsuns are the most reliable vehicle on the planet are they not!!

Also it would be a good idea to bring a couple of disposable barbecues for using if weather permits.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
If my flat is sold before Summer, I may be up for it - great initiative chaps and chappesses ! Weren't they Nissen huts ?

Nissan is in Dept 34, France between Narbonne and Béziers :)

suzy

Well-Known Forum User
I'll be at the swap meet aswell!

I hadn't even realised the clash, Malcolm only e-mail me the agenda today, I hadn't known he was organising this and I would have thought he was too far down the line to change and Derek has booked the field for the swap meet (and we have made him change his date once already)

What more can I say but this is a great shame.