Scored piston

Luddy

Well-Known Forum User
Had a friend over to help me remove the head / change gasket etc on my 1973 240z, noticed a score in the piston and would appreciate any thoughts/experience, should I definitely get this sorted or risk it and put it back together? Alternatively if I go for a re bore any ideas of costs, where to get pistons from etc.
attachment.php

Also not that I had planned to go larger I wonder if its worth boring to 2.6, is it simply a case of buying 2.6 pistons or am I going to need other bits?

Attachments

• IMG_3442.JPG
    IMG_3442.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 85
Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.F

Inactive
That looks like it needs a bit more than a light hone - thus pistons and rings to an oversize will be required.
L24 and L26 are both 83mm bore. Additional capacity in the L26 comes from changed crank stroke...
Standard overbores will increase capacity slightly. Check availability of pistons in required over size before committing to the engineering shop.

Luddy

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks Mike, was going to give you a call tomorrow over the pistons. Do I take it that you are in the sort it rather that ignore it camp?
Cheers
Andy
P.S Got that bit of pipe through today, thanks.

Luddy

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks Rob, I am starting to get my head round the idea now, that said I've got no idea of costs.

P.s Also got my membership pack through today :) thanks!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Deffo get it sorted which implies finding the source of the scoring. Mike's your man for pistons so check what he can source you first.

Luddy

Well-Known Forum User
Will do, I wondered if it might have got to hot at some point turning / deforming the ring is some way; does now seam the engine is coming out eitherway, really just want it all back together for Japfest.

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
that said I've got no idea of costs.

Costs will vary hugely depending on the quality and source of your replacement parts.
The amount you can do or not do yourself.
The amount your outside sources(machine shop services) charge for their services.
I am NOT looking to sell you anything in the way of parts or services but if you want to talk to someone who has a current costed build in progress then Im happy to indicate some cost figures to you. 07778 411568

really just want it all back together for Japfest.
Thats a tall order in itself.IMO