Scooby diff

status

Well-Known Forum User
Not sure Jon,not all the sti had the dccd which as you know is adjustable but on my sti I just keep on auto it does all the work for me on my WRX it hasn’t got it

atomman

Club Member
Yeah but the sti also had the dccd so wots the one to go for

From my research the DCCD just splits the power , so those cars still have the same rear diff ,

Which one to go for ? I suppose that depends what you are after really?

AP suretrac's use normal hypoid oil and don't need any adjustment but if you lift a wheel they go back to open ,

Clutch LSD, need special oil and can be adjusted for different grab , but will need a clutch pack one day , ( probably the best type )

Viscous and torsen, I have no experience of only what I have read,

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
I have two of the 3.9's both take the standard oil so I assume suretrac but are LSD's.

Happy to sell one of my spares if you need one as I dont plan on needing it (famous last words).

Dan

Fairlineguy

Club Member
Fairly sure if your looking for a R180 3.9 plated Subaru lsd.
It was never fitted in uk spec cars only imported wrx sti 2005
(That’s what a Subaru breakers told me when I bought mine)

status

Well-Known Forum User
I have a uk sti Pro-drive model but not all uk or import models have the dccd I think it might of been an option to who ever bought it new

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
As above, I don’t believe the dccd made any change to the diff itself apart from the potential fitment of a temp sensor or level sensor I can’t recall which on the higher specced model. One of mine has one fitted and one doesn’t, the diffs look the same inside.

status

Well-Known Forum User
Was only the sti I think that had them my WRX wagon doesn’t so if you used one on a Z it wouldn’t mater if it had the dccd

johnymd

Club Member
Isn’t the dccd just the centre diff? The one we are concerned with is the rear or am I missing something?

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Its not a very desirable ratio though. Going to be very long legged

Certainly wasn't long legged in my last 240Z with the L24 and with an L28 itll be even more suited. And its certainly the most desirable diff amongst the Subaru owners which is why they fetch a premium over the others.

They thought it was the right ratio back when the car was released back in 1970's for the UK market...

I wouldn't dream of using a 3.54 in a car with no low end torque, but I guess it depends on your gearbox ratios too.

Dan