Anyone else?

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Might be going ,hopefully I might take my metro down the strip aswell

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
I have just sold my Mickey Thompsons so it looks like my 1/4 mile days have come to an end.:(
The memories will live on tho .;)

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I just checked Pete, they'll let you in with any old tyres. They let me in with nankang no-grips :thumbs:

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Nice to meet you Mike, that Metro is very tidy.
Here's my evidence of 12.8
6b6f7c14d9b4df5ce1d44a04191f834a.jpg

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
That 12.8 is a very good result ,way faster than my metro

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
It is very pleasing. But I need to be able to repeat it. I wish I knew what I did on that run :)
I know I didn't get much wheel spin at the start and the engine revved out nicely, but how that came about, I've no idea!

It is very pleasing. But I need to be able to repeat it. I wish I knew what I did on that run :)
I know I didn't get much wheel spin at the start and the engine revved out nicely, but how that came about, I've no idea!

did you get your car back to the dyno to see how healthy it is now?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
No, I've been holding off while I get the mixture as right as I can. I'm currently thinking about getting some 1mm x 3mm vertical slots cut in the emulsion tubes to lean it out below 4k. When I get that right or give up I'll be back to the dyno.

johnymd

Club Member
Superb time there Jon. Looking at the time slip, your start was not really any better than the others but the terminal was up by quite a bit. This indicates a marked increase in power on that run. I can't explain why.

You do have a lot of scope on your 60' time though. On my good runs I can do a 1.65s and with sticky tyres you should be able to get down there. The start is where make or lose time. My last 2 visits I've been running the same 60's as you which has meant that I'm down by a second or more.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Thanks John,
First 2 runs I had lots of wheel spin but the engine went well, then I let the tyre pressures down to 20 something psi. 3rd run I got a decent start but the engine was misfiring from 6.5k or so. 5th run was similar and misfiring at 6k. I must have got round quicker for the 4th because it revved out ok.
The misfiring is carbon fouling from sitting too long in the fire up lane.
I read today that more advance at idle will raise the plug tip temp, so I might try reconnecting the vacuum advance.
I don't think I'm going to beat 2s for 60ft until I've got a Quaife fitted tho.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
I used to run the R888's at 11 psi
Brisk clutch release at around 4500, cross the line in 3rd at around 8000

Terminal speed is the biggest indicator of power and often paints a more realistic picture of the performance of the engine/car package as it is more consistent and doesn't get skewed (as much) by poorer gearshifts

In 3rd we were crossing the line at just under 112 for a 12.453 ET

johnymd

Club Member
How rich is it running at idle? I hear lots of people talking about fowling the plugs at idle but I would of thought once you rev the engine it should clear. Maybe run a hotter plug. Which are you running? 7?

Interesting what you say about advancing the idle ignition increasing the tip temp. The laws of physics with regard to ignition timing can be simplified to these statements when referring to where the energy goes when you ignite the fuel:

Retarded ignition: The burn process is started late in the compression cycle and the burn continues to when the exhaust valve starts to open causing the energy/heat to be waisted and comes out of the exhaust (seen as high exhaust gas temps)

Advanced ignition: The burn process is started early in the compression stroke and some of the energy is waiste by trying to slow down the piston before it reaches TDC. This will put a lot of force on the piston, conrod and into the crank and you will see your oil temps go up as the energy/heat is transferred into the engine components. The combustion temps will go up as you said.

Correct ignition: This is the perfect point between retarded and advanced. Exhaust gas temps reduced but not to the extent that the oil temp rises. Maximum power is achieved when 50% of the burn has occurred at around 15* after TDC.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
I've been running the same 60's as you which has meant that I'm down by a second or more.

Nothing to do with that big laggy snail you fitted then :rofl:

Generally speaking a 1/10th quicker at the start will end up between 2/10 and 3/10ths at the finish.

johnymd

Club Member
After fitting that big laggy snail I have notice the car is leaving 2 big black snail trails on the tarmac more often than it used to.