Saggy spring?

skinjim

Club Member
So I went over a level crossing today, at a sensible speed, and there was an almighty bang from the rear as my tyres smacked into my wheel arches. That's never happened before, so I looked when I got home and it looks like someone has lowered my car for me, but only the driver's side at the rear. It's definitely about 2 or 3cm lower than the other side. Spring issue do we think?

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

skinjim

Club Member
Broken spring?
Possibly, it was pretty dark when I got home so I couldn't see. I'd have thought it would have felt more obviously broken? Apart from the thunk as it went over the level crossing it didn't feel noticeably different...

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
So I went over a level crossing today, at a sensible speed, and there was an almighty bang from the rear as my tyres smacked into my wheel arches. That's never happened before, so I looked when I got home and it looks like someone has lowered my car for me, but only the driver's side at the rear. It's definitely about 2 or 3cm lower than the other side. Spring issue do we think?

That must have been unnerving!!

Has it always looked lower in that corner or was it after the bump?

There is a rubber spacer about 2-3cm in height above the spring hat and the thing with the 3 studs that bolts on the shock to the chassis - could yours be missing it? Could it have perished? But then you would be hearing a clonking noise. You have to jack it up and have a good look.

skinjim

Club Member
That must have been unnerving!!

Has it always looked lower in that corner or was it after the bump?

There is a rubber spacer about 2-3cm in height above the spring hat and the thing with the 3 studs that bolts on the shock to the chassis - could yours be missing it? Could it have perished? But then you would be hearing a clonking noise. You have to jack it up and have a good look.
I can't remember! I've checked some photos I took last year and it's definitely not lower in those, but I can't honestly say whether it was lower yesterday or not. Although the fact that it's not lower in the photos would suggest that the spacer is probably in there.

skinjim

Club Member
Wonderful, I've had two whole weeks of quality motoring since the last thing that broke got mended. So are there any options for springs beside the Eibach jobbies? I really don't think I can afford to shell out for coilovers at the moment [emoji853]

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
my springs are from Springcoil ltd.
if they're still around, I'm sure you could send them your other spring and ask for a matching pair. or a bit lower or whatever you want.

skinjim

Club Member
That's them. They were very helpful, didn't charge much for adjustments when I got my specs wrong.
That's great, thanks! Are the springs the same front and back? Meaning, could I send them a rear spring and say 'I'd like four of those please'?

skinjim

Club Member
@AliK I noticed in another thread that you're using the Koni adjustables from MSA, what springs are you using with those?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
That's great, thanks! Are the springs the same front and back? Meaning, could I send them a rear spring and say 'I'd like four of those please'?

no, 'fraid not. Different lengths and rates.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
@AliK I noticed in another thread that you're using the Koni adjustables from MSA, what springs are you using with those?

I believe they are the late Mr F lowering springs with 1 coil less than the stock coils. The PO put them on so I can’t be too sure - but I really like the car’s ride height and spring rates, so I kept them.

Last edited by a moderator:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
What would be the stock U.K. spring specification for the 240/260

I tried to find this info many times but to no avail. I think @Albrecht once said on another thread that it is a bit of a minefield due to so many variations. I would be glad to be corrected if someone has this data somewhere.

One thing is for sure, a lot of people fit US spec springs as a lot of the data out there is US biased - e.g. Haynes manuals etc.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Have you seen this? There's a hell of a lot of information here, some of it must be relevant!

https://www.jdmjunkies.ch/wordpress...mate-guide-to-factory-suspension-and-options/

Great resource indeed Jim - someone went to a lot of trouble to put that lot together. I don’t know how accurate it is or isn’t, however this table looks useful from that page ....

ce2301e96ab7bd919c875ae78dcefcdc.jpg

PDF version here ...

https://www.jdmjunkies.ch/wordpress...springs-and-options-by-www.JDMjunkies.ch_.pdf

skinjim

Club Member
Great resource indeed Jim - someone went to a lot of trouble to put that lot together. I don’t know how accurate it is or isn’t, however this table looks useful from that page ....

ce2301e96ab7bd919c875ae78dcefcdc.jpg

PDF version here ...

https://www.jdmjunkies.ch/wordpress...springs-and-options-by-www.JDMjunkies.ch_.pdf
My name's actually Steve [emoji13] Skin was a nickname when I was a kid, don't ask me to explain where the Jim part came from, I don't think I understand it myself really [emoji23]