Safari Gold on Bring a Trailer.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I'm amazed, nice car but not original, a survivor but a restoration. Are those wheels period ? And that exhaust isn't stock - they were never supplied with cherry bombs under the gearbox.

DarrenM

Well-Known Forum User
I'm amazed, nice car but not original, a survivor but a restoration. Are those wheels period ? And that exhaust isn't stock - they were never supplied with cherry bombs under the gearbox.
I dont recall seeing ‘6 slot’, slot mags before, they don’t look quite right to me!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Yeah but Mike....it's still the dumbed-down USA market spec...no Darren, they look odd to me too, deffo not my choice of after-market wheels.

uk66fastback

Club Member
It’s their home-market car Sean. Do you think US owners know the spec of other Zs that went to other countries? Do they care? Did I think ALL Zs were the same worldwide when I bought mine from the US? Never even crossed my mind! Do I feel I’m missing out now I know differently? Not at all!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Yeah, ignorance is bliss:)

Did I think ALL Zs were the same worldwide when I bought mine from the US? Never even crossed my mind! Do I feel I’m missing out now I know differently? Not at all!

So yours is still USA spec ? And if so, you don't feel that you're missing out ?

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Saw this on FB, the price is already pretty insane. Will be interesting to see how much higher she goes!

None. It's not all about the driving for me Sean ...

Each to their own ;) I only really know the difference between stock US setup and a modified one and well lets just say I'm horrified by the capability differences! (Drove a UK 260Z +2 once as well)

So, I’m not that well up on the specs, but gather the US cars had a 4 speed and different lighting, I am wondering what other differences there are?

How long have you got? :rofl:

Gearbox, differential ratio, suspension shocks/springs, anti roll bars, emissions gear, bumpers are probably the most notable. They drive like completely different cars!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Suspension soft and 'rubbery' (and I don't mean loverly in Japanese), brakes needed some anticipation, steering didn't feel like rack and pinion, rear end was 'light' - took ages to rev up before changing and then 4th was way, way too far away...just convinced me that I could never own and enjoy a stock Z unless it was :

a) European or
b) Improved

and that goes for all models up until a late 280Z I drove - felt exactly the same except heavier and the doors closed with a more reassuirng clunk rather than clinkety !

Attachments

• Container 007.jpg
    Container 007.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 13
  • CT day 003.jpg
    CT day 003.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Container 008.jpg
    Container 008.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Session 018.jpg
    Session 018.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Session 031.jpg
    Session 031.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Session 028.jpg
    Session 028.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 13

uk66fastback

Club Member
Gimme the Sahara one any time over that one Sean! There's no doubt there are many areas of a Z that can be improved - but so what? And where do you stop?

I don't particularly want to drive a '70s sports car that is trying to have all the improvements you'd find if the thing was built 30 years later. What's wrong with driving on 195 tyres and original suspension and only the one ARB? Nothing that I can see! You're looking at it from a 2018 perspective Sean, I want to drive the car that the original owner drove in 1972 ...

Anyway, thread drift or what!

Car currently at $44,000 ...

Last edited:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Gimme the Sahara one any time over that one Sean! There's no doubt there are many areas of a Z that can be improved - but so what? And where do you stop?

I don't particularly want to drive a '70s sports car that is trying to have all the improvements you'd find if the thing was built 30 years later. What's wrong with driving on 195 tyres and original suspension and only the one ARB? Nothing that I can see! You're looking at it from a 2018 perspective Sean, I want to drive the car that the original owner drove in 1972 ...

I'd also have the Safari one Mike - the other one looks bodged anyway and doesn't even mention what diff and maybe doesn't have a rear ARB !

Having modified some, I now know where to stop ! ...what surprises me are people coming on here saying that they 'must' have at least 300brake having never driven one at all.

No, I'm not looking at it from a 2018 perspective - the proof is that I was quoting a Euro-specced car which, stock, would have had 175 tyres. I won't bore you with the stock euro spec - you know that already and I'm not knocking your personal choice....just that it's not MY idea of why I want to own a sportscar.
The car I drove was nice, a collectors' piece but it wouldn't give me that smile factor I want from my special weekend car.

Let's agree to differ - "vive la différence" and all that.

SacCyclone

Club Member
For those that are questioning the wheels on the BAT Safari Gold car, they look strange because they are "new" 15" slot mags. Trying to keep with the older slot look but with the availability of more sizes in 15". I totally agree that 15" slots do not look correct on a Z car.

As for US spec vs European spec cars, most of us in the states did not know that there was a European spec Z car, only that there was a Japanese Market cars which were RHD.
It was only really after I joined this forum that I learned of the differences, and I have driven Z cars back to 1976 when my pops bought his first 280. Of course many US cars were modified over the years for handling and performance. Thus the reason there are very few factory stock Zeds left in the states.

I am following the BAT zed closely as I also have a Safari Gold series 1 car.

Mike and I have been discussing the car privately, I think it will cross $50K easily and end up around $55K. But I could be wrong. LOL

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Hey, no worries - up until 12years ago we never called them S30s but by their export-marketing names.

Alan ought to feel some satisfaction.:)