S14 gearbox rebuild.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I am in the process of attempting a rebuild with new bearings for my S14 gearbox as it whines in 1st 2nd 3rd and 5th and there is a noise when in neutral which I thought was the clutch release bearing but I think it was the input shaft bearing.
I started stripping my spare box and I removed the casing and noticed the the main shaft is twisted where it meets the prop.
Something to bear in mind when buying used gearboxes.

Attachments

• IMG_20200123_223544.jpg
    IMG_20200123_223544.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 78

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
Not sure??? I presume it has had some power put through it.

I'd never buy one thats been out of a remapped/boosted car, its the torque that kills them, I'd looked at a couple which you could see had similar issues.

atomman

Club Member
That's the thing with these S series gearbox's , they all need taking apart and checking over before you use them , there are pretty old and you don't know if they have seen any abuse over the years,

I'm guessing you couldn't see that on the shaft before you stripped it ?

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
That's the thing with these S series gearbox's , they all need taking apart and checking over before you use them , there are pretty old and you don't know if they have seen any abuse over the years,

I'm guessing you couldn't see that on the shaft before you stripped it ?
Yes, you could only see it once the rear housing section was removed

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
I'd never buy one thats been out of a remapped/boosted car, its the torque that kills them, I'd looked at a couple which you could see had similar issues.
The problem is that a lot have been modified and as with most things if they don't tell you when you buy it then your in the dark.

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
Stripped the gearbox down some more, got a set of bearings from USA so going to fit them but will probably get a couple of bits from the local Nissan dealer as I need some new nuts as the ones on the gearbox have to be peened.

Attachments

• IMG_20200125_083815.jpg
    IMG_20200125_083815.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20200124_165108.jpg
    IMG_20200124_165108.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20200124_172846.jpg
    IMG_20200124_172846.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20200124_165024.jpg
    IMG_20200124_165024.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 73

240L31

Club Member
How did you find out which exact rebuild kit you need? I got a gearbox out of a 1996 200sx (SR engine) and I am still not sure which one I need. On rockauto there are several kits availabe (I think the difference is the 1-2 synchro?).
I would like to buy a kit today just in case I ever need it. I'm always concerned that in a couple of years it will be much harder to find spare parts for our cars..

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
Jon it's part posh https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/152534811209
part homemade with 8mm threaded bar and a jubilee clip which makes all the difference

Rob the twisted output shaft is on my other gearbox.

Took a chance on the kit, not going to use the synchos as my gearbox shifted fine, it just whined so just using the bearings.
I will cross check the new synchros with my old ones and the bearings.

This is the kit I got https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/321642315111

But they do a kit with just the bearings

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
The gearbox i have, i believe is S13, do you know if the same kit would be suitable, Ive no idea what the difference is compared to S14, if indeed there is any?
I think it depends on the size of the front counter shaft bearing, you would have to remove the bell housing to check.

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
Been checking the kit I have and I think a couple of the synchros might be wrong but until I get it totally stripped I can not confirm this.

ben240z

Club Member
Hi Moggy, is your box still in bits? if so could you post a couple of pics please. I am trying to identify and then source a bearing that is missing from mine.

atomman

Club Member
Hi Moggy, is your box still in bits? if so could you post a couple of pics please. I am trying to identify and then source a bearing that is missing from mine.

I've got some other's if needed Ben , I ordered new KOYO bearing's for mine , from simplybearings.co.uk , will see if i can dig out the numbers

Attachments

• DSC_1478.JPG
    DSC_1478.JPG
    279.5 KB · Views: 44