Rusty 1970

Peter loveday

Club Member
just wanted to say hi

Just bought a 1970 Lhd us import. It has some rust in the floors etc but should be a fun project and has lots of original features. It’s my first s30, previous to this I spent a lot of time restoring a jdm z32.

Plans for the car will probably be along the restomod route with a rhd conversion. Something similar to a singer.

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Welcome to the club :thumbs:

I already like the basis of the restoration, get some pics up so we can all see where you're starting from. Would love to hear more about your plans for it?

Peter loveday

Club Member
here is a link to the car, there is also a photobucket link in the advert.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C836820

The front half of the car is nearly perfect, no real rust at all and very straight. the floors and rear look like they have had a lot of water ingress for many years. Not to worry, I enjoy fabrication and wanted a good project. I also enjoy the thought of saving an early car.

The plan-

Bodywork to remain mostly standard, a few subtle tweaks here and there (side repeater delete etc)- quite possibly a rhd conversion- yes I know its involved

Suspension, brakes and steering to be modernized where needed- nicely lowered with good wheel fitment

Interior- sympathetic update along the lines of a Singer- premium materials etc but not moving away from the original feeling of the car. Maybe a half cage in the back, again maybe referencing a GT3 RS (not sure on this)

Engine- car is fitted with a l26 with a spun main. no mating number engine so im not going to worry too much about originality. Considering multiple options at this point. Ideally id like to keep it NA and a straight six so either a worked over l series on itbs or maybe an S54 conversion. Other options ive thought about are VH45, TVR speed Six, lexus V8 (already have one) or a vq35hr

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Will be a good project however there is some interesting rust in very odd areas..! Will be interesting to see stripped bare.
Good luck!

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
As has been mentioned, looks to be some serious bodywork to sort. Will be curious to see the condition of the shell when completely stripped.

Some great plans and aspirations though, keep us posted once you get started!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Wow, you are a brave guy. Lots and lots of work there. Have you considered a US shell?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I love the 'singer' idea - I think a mode might develop from your project and leading on from MZR Roadsport (some inspiring stuff there if not all is to everyones' taste).

I'd go BM or Japanese - I also looked once at the TVR but.....do Singers swap out there engines ? Wouldn't a cute, original look under the bonnet compliment the interior of the car ?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
The front half of the car is nearly perfect, no real rust at all and very straight. the floors and rear look like they have had a lot of water ingress for many years. Not to worry, I enjoy fabrication and wanted a good project. I also enjoy the thought of saving an early car.

I have a 4/'70 production HLS30U model too. Chassis number is HLS30-03051, so built not too long before yours.

I'll be unzipping the spare wheel well from it soon, and it will be up for grabs. Looks like you need one in good condition. Of interest?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I have a 4/'70 production HLS30U model too. Chassis number is HLS30-03051, so built not too long before yours.

I'll be unzipping the spare wheel well from it soon, and it will be up for grabs. Looks like you need one in good condition. Of interest?

Oooh......100 or 120 ltrs Alan ? Hope to god it's not an LPG conversion:D

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I don't know what you're all worried about - have no fear : this is what a friend here just acquired locally (near Bordeaux) to restore and he won't be swapping shells.

It helps that he has his own vineyard - must go down and have a Z meet at his place - can't think why.

Attachments

• image_33618.jpg
    image_33618.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 49

Peter loveday

Club Member
I love the 'singer' idea - I think a mode might develop from your project and leading on from MZR Roadsport (some inspiring stuff there if not all is to everyones' taste).

I'd go BM or Japanese - I also looked once at the TVR but.....do Singers swap out there engines ? Wouldn't a cute, original look under the bonnet compliment the interior of the car ?

I’d like to try and stick with th l series, I’ll have to get some research done before making a decision on that. I don’t suppose anyone has an os giken head lying around

Peter loveday

Club Member

I’ll take you up on that for sure, I assume you are intending to drill out the spot welds? Let me know when it’s out and we can sort out the details. Good to know there is another car so close in numbers, have you posted any pics?
Are you in the uk, if so which area?

Peter loveday

Club Member
I don't know what you're all worried about - have no fear : this is what a friend here just acquired locally (near Bordeaux) to restore and he won't be swapping shells.

It helps that he has his own vineyard - must go down and have a Z meet at his place - can't think why.

Looks like a good challenge also. Anything can be repaired if you have the patience and are willing to learn new skills

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I’d like to try and stick with th l series, I’ll have to get some research done before making a decision on that. I don’t suppose anyone has an os giken head lying around

Yep - got a mint handy ?

Looks like a good challenge also. Anything can be repaired if you have the patience and are willing to learn new skills

Indeed, the journey is as much a pleasure as the destination.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I’ll take you up on that for sure, I assume you are intending to drill out the spot welds? Let me know when it’s out and we can sort out the details. Good to know there is another car so close in numbers, have you posted any pics?
Are you in the uk, if so which area?

Yes, I'll be drilling out the spotwelds. Have done it on two other 'shells before this one, so starting to get the hang of it now.

I'm in North London.

I haven't posted many photos, if any. This car has been somewhat on the backburner whilst I have a couple of other projects on the go, but I've got it back on the rotisserie now and started doing this and that. I've got some rare and unusual period parts for it, and they are no good sitting in the loft or hanging on the wall so I should get on with it. Luckily there's not any rot in the 'shell. It's very, very good in that respect.

Has yours got the 'new to this game' early style factory welding on the front end? I've got MIG wire sticking out in several places...