Roof rack.... on a Datsun Z

grahamjc

Well-Known Forum User
Just a quick question, are there roof/boot racks available for a Z car that do not require any holes being drilled?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Tent and rack 008.jpg LeMans2008 023.jpg LeMans2008 023.jpg Yes, I used an inflatable rack for my Le Mans trip in 2008. This is the car that was the 'rally car' at Donington a few weeks ago.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Looks like answer is yes, there was a factory option

There was no factory option roof rack for the S30-series Z range.

A USA-based company called AMCO made all sort of accessories for imported cars, and some of these were sold by Nissan dealers in the north American market (sometimes repackaged in 'Datsun' boxes), but they were not designed or manufactured by Nissan themselves - so not 'factory' in the true sense of the word.

72Broc3.thumb.jpg.8417b10cb1d1142d791a9f1d44929e23.jpg

Edited to add: NOT recommended. This type mounted onto the roof rail garnishes with clamp type fittings, which made a right mess of the stainless garnish mouldings. You can always tell a car which had one of these AMCO racks fitted in the past.

grahamjc

Well-Known Forum User
There was no factory option roof rack for the S30-series Z range.

A USA-based company called AMCO made all sort of accessories for imported cars, and some of these were sold by Nissan dealers in the north American market (sometimes repackaged in 'Datsun' boxes), but they were not designed or manufactured by Nissan themselves - so not 'factory' in the true sense of the word.

View attachment 33447

Edited to add: NOT recommended. This type mounted onto the roof rail garnishes with clamp type fittings, which made a right mess of the stainless garnish mouldings. You can always tell a car which had one of these AMCO racks fitted in the past.

Ok, interesting.... I would prefer not to go that method!

johnymd

Club Member
I used the ones that clamp onto the roof gutters back in the early 90's but I don't think I had the stainless gutter trim. When I was into gokart racing I would put the kart on the roof and all the tools/spares in the back of the 240.

johnymd

Club Member
Nope. Did it for a couple of years. I’ll have to see if I have any pictures of the car with the kart on top.

Carl Beck

Well-Known Forum User
I had a Pop-Up Tent that mounted to the drip rails on a 240Z - same as the roof rack. Worked great.. I also have a NIB Amco Roof Rack.