RHD drive z in california

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Good find. What a shame it's not in the UK.

"bunch of rust" - it would be good to know where.

$10000 trade - really?

Rich are you going on one of your Californian trips to San Diego soon ?

Last edited by a moderator:

DocS30

Well-Known Forum User
What's wrong with it being a 280? If I was buying a s30 that would be my first choice...

this is the ideal car for me. Pity about SA's 100% import duty charges + 14% VAT. D@mn greedy bastards

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
What's wrong with it being a 280? If I was buying a s30 that would be my first choice...

this is the ideal car for me. Pity about SA's 100% import duty charges + 14% VAT. D@mn greedy bastards

2.8 is ok but most people want carbs on an L6 motor. I reckon that's why it's mentioned.

Ideal - maybe but you haven't seen the rust yet. A poor advert IMO.

100% Import Tax - do SA manufacture any cars? If not how does that work - cars will be twice the price they should be? I assume it doesn't apply to new cars bought from SA dealers.

big rex 2

Well-Known Forum User
Why would it be 100% import duty?

Mine was 10% import duty and 20% VAT because of the brake and engine mods.

big rex 2

Well-Known Forum User
I see now SA's as in South Africa not USA's

sorry bit slow today (sniffing too many solvents in the lab again)

big rex 2

Well-Known Forum User
I got some pics off the seller , she be a crusty one !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    850.7 KB · Views: 45

richiep

Club Member
Good find. What a shame it's not in the UK.

"bunch of rust" - it would be good to know where.

$10000 trade - really?

Rich are you going on one of your Californian trips to San Diego soon ?

Not this year! :p

That one is not much better rust wise than something you'd find in this country tbh. And he thinks it worth $10k? Hmmm. :rolleyes:

That 75 S30 Fairlady Z down on the south coast is in better nick rust-wise, although far less complete. Still on the market after what must've been 18 months. Probably due to the fact the guy is hard with his prices but is asking about 30-40% too much!

I've been watching far nicer Cali project cars recently (LHD obviously) selling at what seem like dirt cheap prices compared to here. I was actually negotiating with a guy up near San Francisco over an incredibly rust free and straight (and I mean incredibly) 240z a week or two ago. £3.5k. An utter steal. Unfortunately, he developed cold feet about selling internationally (the world outside the US is a wild and scary place evidently) and then a local buyer dived in. :(

Of course, I'd be all over it if a decent Fairlady Z project car showed up - a JDM twin for my existing Fairlady would be ideal!

The search thus continues...

Not this year! :p

That one is not much better rust wise than something you'd find in this country tbh. And he thinks it worth $10k? Hmmm. :rolleyes:

That 75 S30 Fairlady Z down on the south coast is in better nick rust-wise, although far less complete. Still on the market after what must've been 18 months. Probably due to the fact the guy is hard with his prices but is asking about 30-40% too much!

I've been watching far nicer Cali project cars recently (LHD obviously) selling at what seem like dirt cheap prices compared to here. I was actually negotiating with a guy up near San Francisco over an incredibly rust free and straight (and I mean incredibly) 240z a week or two ago. £3.5k. An utter steal. Unfortunately, he developed cold feet about selling internationally (the world outside the US is a wild and scary place evidently) and then a local buyer dived in. :(

Of course, I'd be all over it if a decent Fairlady Z project car showed up - a JDM twin for my existing Fairlady would be ideal!

The search thus continues...

The guy with the fairlady is very good to deal with though, also straight as an arrow, which not all are;)

I've seen it recently, its bloody good, and not a bad price really. If you went there you'd get a bit off I reckon.

He's happy to sit on it as he's got lots of cars going both ways between us and the states and its not his main income.

richiep

Club Member
The guy with the fairlady is very good to deal with though, also straight as an arrow, which not all are;)

I've seen it recently, its bloody good, and not a bad price really. If you went there you'd get a bit off I reckon.

He's happy to sit on it as he's got lots of cars going both ways between us and the states and its not his main income.

Interesting....

I find myself looking at that car quite often. It needs a hell of a lot of work and is missing a lot of bits, but I suppose I could do the typical JDM thing and backdate it! (Lots of late S30 and S31 Fairlady Zs in Japan have early style rear lights retrofitted at the very least). The shagged 260-style dash could be replaced with the near perfect 240 one I've got for example...

It's a hell of a hike for me from Cheshire. Maybe should plan a day trip though and actually have a look...

Interesting....

I find myself looking at that car quite often. It needs a hell of a lot of work and is missing a lot of bits, but I suppose I could do the typical JDM thing and backdate it! (Lots of late S30 and S31 Fairlady Zs in Japan have early style rear lights retrofitted at the very least). The shagged 260-style dash could be replaced with the near perfect 240 one I've got for example...

It's a hell of a hike for me from Cheshire. Maybe should plan a day trip though and actually have a look...

As a wise man once said and often says on this forum. Part number 1 is what you're buying! The other stuff you can find.

When I got mine from him, he initially wanted too much, I paid a very fair price(at that moment in time) in the end. With prices going up, where else are you going to get something that good for that money? Also something you can see the worse of.

richiep

Club Member
Good points. :thumbs:

Rob - bloody hell. And for one of those wretched canoe-shaped things. :devil:

I hate E-types. :p

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Rich and franky, the 2 ltr car is a mess. Yes the body is reasonable but that's all so you value a reasonable 260Z shell at £6-7k. Nothing else is usable and it's got fittings all over the place for Fi etc. I agree the shell is THE most important part so say £3.5 - 4 max.

Franky you know how much work is involved, you have had your car 5 years and it's still a shell.

Be careful - look what Tel240 and Candy Red have recently bought for reasonable money.

That car IMO (yes IMO) is only valuable if it could be restored to the car it once was and that's just not practical so it's a shell. Rich, it will cost you hundred's to get it home.

The seller might be genuine but he was misguided with that one.

I may be completely wrong but I think you are being influenced by what it was rather than what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob, good body(some repairs needed!), good wings/doors/boot, Its like buying an old house, you have to look at what is there.

I've had my car 2.5-3 years, not 5! My delay is just life, as in my life getting in the way, house move, lack of garage, time needed to plan and build one(ETA May).

Tel did get a good deal on his car it seems, Candy red's car needs bodywork doing also, its just complete with interior. The appeal in this is partly that its a genuine Fairlady. I'd say its got to be worth about 5k.

We all know that 260's are never going to be as cool or collectable as a 240z :D

richiep

Club Member
Franky is right - the appeal is that it's a genuine late-S30 Fairlady Z-L (pre-transition to S31 VIN cars). I suspect, as a factory fuel-injected 2.0L, its the only one of that particular spec in the UK. So, you'd have something unique if restored to standard spec (which I personally wouldn't do admittedly!). It also still has nice little features like the passenger foot rest and the rally clock fitted.

I'm not going to jump into anything. I'm happy to bide my time and work on finding the right car for my needs. A car like the one Terry bought would be ideal. The one I was chasing in California recently was comparable. A genuine earlier Fairlady Z (even if in rougher condition) would be the best (and let's be clear, if I buy a Cali car, its going to get RHD-swapped and rebuilt as a FairladyZ lookalike with all appropriate features anyway). It's also going to be a relatively slow-burn project - I expect 4 years - so there will be time and money to do it right. The car will be built around the engine and I am not cutting any corners on that particular component by rushing. ;)

I'd just like to get the car in the near to medium-term given the rising values.