Rewiring a 240z

Gareth

Club Member
anybody have a list of what wire to use when fully redoing electrics? I got access to various cables but don’t know what to use

uk66fastback

Club Member
How do you mean - what gauge?

What I would do is remove the loom, having tagged what goes where. Pin it to a board and just make another loom exactly the same - using the connectors from the original or if old and brittle, renewing as you go ...

What's the problem with the current loom?

johnymd

Club Member
I did a complete new loom in the red 280z but I simplified it to remove the numerous factory joints and switched earths. I used an EZwiring kit. I have just started doing the same on the new silver car and will make some better notes this time on connecting the switchgear, wipers and lighting.

johnymd

Club Member
Here’s a pic from during the loom build.

Attachments

• 2754DD5E-9E4E-4005-B941-7D4330031EB1.jpeg
    2754DD5E-9E4E-4005-B941-7D4330031EB1.jpeg
    404.9 KB · Views: 33

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
anybody have a list of what wire to use when fully redoing electrics? I got access to various cables but don’t know what to use

Do you mean what size (gauge), what quality/standard (e.g. car, aircraft - used on some rally cars), what thickness of insulation etc.

I'm guessing you mean gauge? If so go the same as the original or bigger (not smaller). Some cables can look bigger because the insulation is thicker. Try to keep the same colours too - have you got access to a full range of colours, wish I had?