Retro Rides Goodwood

atomman

Club Member

The Kenmeri isn't a GTR either is it ?

I don't understand why people aren't just proud of what they have,

I do really enjoy Retrorides though and the end of the video some's it up perfectly with the Skyline driving out followed by a mobility car

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Well I dont know what car it is and would be good if those in the know informed others

What is the point of the forum or posting in it if correct information is not passed on

Already answered. The car in question is a KGC10 model Skyline GT or GTX modified to look like a KPGC10 Skyline 2000 GT-R model and wearing GT-R badging. A lookalike. Nothing wrong with that, but there's perhaps a philosophical discussion to be had with regard to the understanding of true identity vs replicated identity.

Maybe if you think of it as a Crossflow-engined Cortina GT wearing Lotus badges it might be a good comparison?

Tommi

Club Member
Well I dont know what car it is and would be good if those in the know informed others

What is the point of the forum or posting in it if correct information is not passed on
A very brief description is:
It’s a Skyline 2000GT/possibly GTX ‘Hakosuka’ chassis code KGC10. Belongs to a guy called Steven Grove (who has three of them). Built up as a GTR replica ish (as were many of the C10 chassis cars in Japan, because of the legendary GTR PGC10/KPGC10 race cars). They came with the L20 engine as standard and no arch flares. Most now sport modified L series motors and the GTR flares however. Often quoted as being a GTR simply because people just go by the badges. Genuine GTR’s are a pretty rare beast outside of Japan (pretty rare in Japan also to be fair).

Tommi

Club Member
Already answered. The car in question is a KGC10 model Skyline GT or GTX modified to look like a KPGC10 Skyline 2000 GT-R model and wearing GT-R badging. A lookalike. Nothing wrong with that, but there's perhaps a philosophical discussion to be had with regard to the understanding of true identity vs replicated identity.

Maybe if you think of it as a Crossflow-engined Cortina GT wearing Lotus badges it might be a good comparison?
Sorry Alan, you beat me to it!

toopy

Club Member
A very brief description is:
It’s a Skyline 2000GT/possibly GTX ‘Hakosuka’ chassis code KGC10. Belongs to a guy called Steven Grove (who has three of them). Built up as a GTR replica ish (as were many of the C10 chassis cars in Japan, because of the legendary GTR PGC10/KPGC10 race cars). They came with the L20 engine as standard and no arch flares. Most now sport modified L series motors and the GTR flares however. Often quoted as being a GTR simply because people just go by the badges. Genuine GTR’s are a pretty rare beast outside of Japan (pretty rare in Japan also to be fair).

Guilty, i just went by the badge! given then that it's unlikely to actually be in the presence of a genuine GTR, in the UK at least, how can you tell from a cursory glance whats what? assuming it's a well done replica in the first place.

Tommi

Club Member
Guilty, i just went by the badge! given then that it's unlikely to actually be in the presence of a genuine GTR, in the UK at least, how can you tell from a cursory glance whats what? assuming it's a well done replica in the first place.
To be honest, if it’s a genuine GT-R, chances are the bonnet would be up so you could see that beautiful S20 twin cam engine! The engine is the obvious difference. From the outside if it were a genuine GT-R the chances are it would be in an original, factory, colour and only sporting a set of rear flares. Probably easier to say that most of the more heavily modified Hakosuka are not GT-R...... unless we are talking modified for racing.

datsfun

Club Member
There are a few subtle differences ( apart from engine and other drivetrain)

Clear glass on GTR Vs tinted on the rest,
Chrome surround on front and rear windscreens on the rest, GTR has none, GTR seats are very different.

There is a whole industry supplying replica GTR specific items in Japan. 90% of badged C10-GTR's in Japan are not the real McCoy !..and I have never understood why this practice is so widespread in Japan :smash:

So this trend/ practice has made its way to overseas markets.

BTW, I also know a few UK non GTR owners who "push" the boat and basque in the "GTR" glory.

-