Reproducing RHD wiper linkage

Josh_240

Forum User
So here goes my first community contribution! Trying to reproduce an equivalent RHD linkage.

Ill be making mine in stainless steel thin-wall tubing with welded nuts on the ends for heim joints to take out any slop and discrepancy in the original compared to what ive measured. Once ive made a couple of sets, someone feel free to nominate themselves to test one, as my project will be miles off yet!

Not much you cant do with a CMM and CAD software, just need to find the right rose joints/heim joints in order to replicate the original pressed steel flanged bearings.

upload_2021-7-30_16-3-20.png

arcdef

Club Member
This will be awesome! I would be very interested in testing/buying this as it's the one part stopping me fitting the RHD cowl to mine!

Keep us posted!

Thanks

Mr Ex Jnr

Club Member
I bought a few Rhd bits last night and got a wiper linkage for £50 :)

Be good if u make some :)

Attachments

• 20210730_200933.jpg
    20210730_200933.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 30

Josh_240

Forum User
So this is the first prototype, and obviously first of the pair, is there anyone about local to the south that has a RHD 240/260 in pieces that has a working wiper motor that wants to give this a go? Logical choice for me would be @Rushingphil, but if there is anyone else? @arcdef you put your hand up but unless youve got the rest of the bits this single arm may not work.

arcdef

Club Member
I have a spare LHD linkage but wouldn't ideally want to take apart car until Summer is over. If you think we could test it without damaging the original components in a day i'm happy to help.

Josh_240

Forum User
Not as happy with the second one, had to use the MIG...:ack:, will get the end piece scanned and laser cut in future instead of some fettled u-channel, but it'll do for a prototype.

upload_2021-8-12_13-53-3.png

johnymd

Club Member
Have you tried to fit the RHD linkage to a LHD car? I thought there was quit a bit of cutting under the cowl to make it fit. Could be wrong so it would be good to hear from someone who has done this.

Fairlineguy

Club Member
Have you tried to fit the RHD linkage to a LHD car? I thought there was quit a bit of cutting under the cowl to make it fit. Could be wrong so it would be good to hear from someone who has done this.
Yes you have to cut out a scuttle brace on the right hand side (inside the scuttle )when converting to RHD

Josh_240

Forum User
Yes you have to cut out a scuttle brace on the right hand side (inside the scuttle )when converting to RHD

Assume if you were going the other way youd have to cut a brace out on the left hand side? i.e. datsun fitted an extra brace where there wasnt a linkage?

My car is RHD so its not a massive worry to me, im just aware the parts are difficult to find and i know mine at least, are a bit messed up and tired. At least by having the CAD and templates i can fit uprated motors if i need too and still follow the original linkage path.

I plan on fitting an mx5 wiper motor eventually and then see what else i can find for spindles.

Rushingphil

Club Member
I see that Josh hasn't been on the forum for nearly 6 months. And that his project is up for sale.

Wrt the linkage, he did a trial fit on my car last summer, but the rose joints were too large and he was going to try and source smaller ones. Don't know how far he got after that.

Mr Ex Jnr

Club Member
Josh has his 240z project for sale in bits for sale at 20k he asking

Dunno how many have seen the add

I doubt he will be making these tbh

Makesy

Club Member
I hadn't seen that he is selling up.

Oh well!

I'm still after a linkage if anyone has one going!