Replacing choke inner cable

tyroguru

Club Member
I’m replacing the choke inners on my car and I wondered what others had used as replacement cable? The current cable on mine measures 1.4mm diameter which by the look of it is roughly 17SWG gauge.

I saw an old message where Albrecht references a company called Speedy Cables (London) so will probably try them in the absence of other suggestions.

tyroguru

Club Member

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks Dan. Just taken a look a their offerings and it appears that the longest inner they do is 2.35m - did you get two of those kits and join them somehow? The cable that came out of mine was a single piece approx. 4m long and I'm making the assumption (maybe incorrectly) that all choked SU carb'd Z's have that arrangement.

I had the Venhill kit with several meters of the wire in and a load of their fittings. Managed to do two new choke cables and a load of other stuff.

Dan

tyroguru

Club Member
Jon, they do sell the inner wire per metre:

https://www.venhill.co.uk/cables-amp-components/fittings-amp-components/inner-wire.html

I think that's all you'd need if you still have the outers?

If not they do also sell outer conduit individually:

https://www.venhill.co.uk/cables-amp-components/fittings-amp-components/outer-conduit.html

Thanks Simon. After Dan's reply I figured that I must have missed longer cables somewhere so I mailed them and they came back (very promptly as well!) with pointers to the inners you just pointed me at.

I'll probably do the outers while I'm at it but I'll wait until I'm home later to have another look. From a previous inspection I couldn't easily see how the outers detach from the metal piece that they both insert into at the choke lever end. They were in incredible tight as if they were bonded in somehow but it may just be that they need some special violence to get them out!

RawlinSTR

Club Member
The outers are very difficult to remove because they're crimped into the little housing piece that screws to the choke cable bracket:

upload_2019-9-18_15-47-45.png

If yours are intact and in a good condition I'd just leave them alone because changing them would be very difficult!

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-18_15-44-51.png
    upload_2019-9-18_15-44-51.png
    576.8 KB · Views: 8

tyroguru

Club Member
The outers aren't that bad so I'll keep them as they are. Obviously I'd have preferred to replace both inner and outer but I've given them a good flush out and lube so I'll see how it goes. I've ordered the inners from Venhill.

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
I joined mine with new outer braid and a straight crimped adapter. But would advise the same as above, just change the inners if you can.

Dan