Replacement braking system for 240z - options?

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Hi everyone - it’s been a while since I’ve posted on here. House renovations took over, so the poor Datsun has been neglected. Time to change that. In the spring I’d like to replace / upgrade my braking system, but not sure at all what to do. It’s all original, and all I’ve done is replace the pads and master cylinder (it was leaking). Last year I’d noticed a bit of a judder from the brakes when breaking hard, so time to give them some attention.

Can anyone share what upgrade they’ve done or point me to other interesting threads on the topic?

In my head, I imagine new servo, master cylinder, upgraded front callipers etc. No idea about the rear.

Thanks, Graeme

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
One other thing worth mentioning, it has the 2.8 engine plus sports exhaust system, so more power than the original car.

Robotsan

Club Member
I installed proper racing brake pads (front and rear). It's rather expensive but transformed the braking experience. Still cheaper as Upgrades calipers, though.

I was under the (perhaps wrong) impression that racing pads just meant no/less brake fade when pushing a car a bit? That's great if they actually improve stopping power though.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I installed proper racing brake pads (front and rear). It's rather expensive but transformed the braking experience. Still cheaper as Upgrades calipers, though.
Do you rear discs then? What were the pads (make, spec).

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I was under the (perhaps wrong) impression that racing pads just meant no/less brake fade when pushing a car a bit? That's great if they actually improve stopping power though.
Standard brakes in good condition can lock all the wheels up - you don't need more power than that (but you might want to be able to do it over and over....)

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
A fair point. So I have a judder which I need to correct (might be the discs) and callipers that have probably seen better days. Not sure of the overall condition of the servo. So even refurbishing my brakes may lead to new parts etc.

My goal = less spongy, judder free and more purposeful / confident braking. (the car will never see a track, so it’s not for that)

status

Well-Known Forum User
All you need to do as it’s not a track day car is
willwood four pot front calipers a 280 zx master cylinder preferably a late one a servo off a 260 2+2 ( they are a bit bigger ) new rear shoes and drums if you can get a set and you’ve enough stopping power,just a 280 motor and a so called sports exhaust ain’t going to set the world on fire also decent tyres and a good suspension set up as they are all part of your braking system ,so that little lot shouldn’t break the bank

240L31

Club Member
Do you rear discs then? What were the pads (make, spec).
I had stock brake shoes religned with a racing material. Send me a PM if you need a direct contact.

Racing brake pads are not only by far more resistant against brake fade but feature also higher friction values. With cold brakes it is a bit better than stock, as soon as they are a bit up to temperature they really bite.

toopy

Club Member
I had stock brake shoes religned with a racing material. Send me a PM if you need a direct contact.

Racing brake pads are not only by far more resistant against brake fade but feature also higher friction values. With cold brakes it is a bit better than stock, as soon as they are a bit up to temperature they really bite.
And a happy side effect of performance pads is they generally produce far less dust, so cleaner wheels for longer.

240L31

Club Member
Nope, exactly the opposite with the racing pads I know :D Please do not confuse "performance" (like EBC) with "racing" (like Pagid, Endless)

toopy

Club Member
Nope, exactly the opposite with the racing pads I know :D Please do not confuse "performance" (like EBC) with "racing" (like Pagid, Endless)
I used some Pagid (not racing) pads on a previous daily, and they were worse than the OEM ones they replaced, bought some Brembo instead, much better!

240L31

Club Member
I used some Pagid (not racing) pads on a previous daily, and they were worse than the OEM ones they replaced, bought some Brembo instead, much better!
Pagid and Pagid Racing are two independent companies, brake pads are not the same.

istoo

Well-Known Forum User
same too
Have uprated front callipers but still fit within the 14s. can’t remember when they were from (Kevin irons did it) along with the 2.8 conversion. Bought racing pads, braided lines in and good fluid. Happily locks up all wheels.

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
willwood four pot front calipers a 280 zx master cylinder preferably a late one a servo off a 260 2+2 ( they are a bit bigger ) new rear shoes and drums if you can get a set and you’ve enough stopping power,just a 280 motor and a so called sports exhaust ain’t going to set the world on fire also decent tyres and a good suspension set up as they are all part of your braking system ,so that little lot shouldn’t break the bank
This is kind of where my head is at - thanks.

- Replace / upgrade my rather old (could even be original) callipers (i think these really need replaced / reconditioned anyway)
- I had installed a new Willwood master cylinder, but that was a like for like swap - so may need to look at that
- Flush the brake pipes etc
- Rear pads were recently replaced and drums in pretty good condition, so that is probably ok

Anywhere in the UK / EU selling these parts, or is it strictly USA.

Cheers, Graeme

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
I wonder if you might be kind enough to share any product links you were referencing?