Replace Power Steering Fluid

300zxtt

Club Member
Hi Guys

Plan on fitting chromed Power steering reservoir, thought good opportunity to drain and replace power steering fluid. Whats the best method? Thought about removing one of the pipes on the steering rack and letting it drain out, will this drain the Hicas as well? Whats the best process to do all this, are there any gaskets/seals i will need to complete?

Can i use power steering pump to pump the fluid out for me and will this drain Hicas, will it blow it out too quickly, can the motor run without fluid as it drains?

Posted this on 300zx forum but got no answers. All advice appreciated.

Regards
Kev

Mr.F

Inactive
As far as I am aware, there is no official procedure for draining the power steering / HICAS system completely. The fluid is not under the same sort of stresses as running an automatic transmission, so degradation is not significant during the life of the vehicle.

The majority of the fluid will be drained by disconnecting pipes at the steering rack and some from the HICAS part of the system by disconnecting the send and return pipes at the lowest point. Leave it to drain into suitable containers overnight. I personally would avoid running the pump to drain the fluid - you would run the risk of damage to both pump and solenoid assembly.

On refilling, the front system is self bleeding by moving the wheels from lock to lock. The HICAS end has two bleed screws like a brake system - the car needs to be on a two pole ramp so the wheels are free to rotate and follow procedure in the manual to bleed from each screw in turn.

Plenty more to add from anyone who has done the job recently I'm sure!

Soulman

New Forum User
Power Steering Pump : Help

Not sure if this is the right place and new to this but just bought a 300zx 91 and my steering pump has gone. I think its part nunber WO 133- 1722059 - can any one help me please 8-4-10 : Ian Price

Plan on fitting chromed Power steering reservoir, thought good opportunity to drain and replace power steering fluid. Whats the best method? Thought about removing one of the pipes on the steering rack and letting it drain out, will this drain the Hicas as well? Whats the best process to do all this, are there any gaskets/seals i will need to complete?

Can i use power steering pump to pump the fluid out for me and will this drain Hicas, will it blow it out too quickly, can the motor run without fluid as it drains?

Posted this on 300zx forum but got no answers. All advice appreciated.

Regards
Kev[/quote]

Soulman

New Forum User
Can any one help me please or point me in the right direction as do not know how to start a thread. Just purchased a 300 ZX and the steering pump has gone, passed MOT with the exception of this point. I think the part number is WO 133-1722059 which covers 90 to 96. Desperate for help 8-4-10.

Would also like to become involved on this site and days out if I can find a steering pump. If your an expert on 300zx please forward to friends you must have on this site : Thanks in anticipation : Ian Price

RobZ32

Well-Known Forum User
Mr F is correct there seems to be no time limit on power steering fluid. But when I first got my ZX I did a fluid change and found the stuff in the HICAS cylinder to be very manky and black. The problem is that the fluid in the HICAS ram is stuck there and fever circulates back to the tank. So from time to time I bleed off the ram to get some new stuff down there. I do the job with no problems on four good quality axel stands under the cars proper lift points. Your going to be under the car with the engine revving so make sure the stand are on solid ground.

Soulman
You can pick up a pump from the breakers but TT is not the same as NA because the NA has no HICAS. After 1994 I think they are the same pump because the HICAS went electrical.