Rekey Hatch Lock??

Aceman

Well-Known Forum User
The Americans reckon you can rekey a 204z hatch lock, but on taking ours in to a locksmith, he reckoned being a sealed unit you couldn't.

Seems odd that people are having it done in the US so I'm skeptical.

Anyone here know if a hatch lock can be rekeyed (which I think it can if the yanks are successfully doing it!) and if so how (or do you know who could do it)?

If not, anyone got a sensibly priced hatch lock with key??

Or, what other options are there? Is there like a universal boot lock replacement? Or does one from another car fit easily?

Aceman

Well-Known Forum User

Hi Rob,

This is what I currently have, but my issue is as per his last sentence - you will need to get it keyed to your key. The locksmiths in town claim because it is sealed this is not possible!

If you had yours done, can you please let me know where? I can then give them a call and see if they'll do by post or similar!

Cheers!

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Rob,

This is what I currently have, but my issue is as per his last sentence - you will need to get it keyed to your key. The locksmiths in town claim because it is sealed this is not possible!

If you had yours done, can you please let me know where? I can then give them a call and see if they'll do by post or similar!

Cheers!

I didn't have any keys for the old lock. Plus the fact that I have four different keys for my car now due to having bought all new locks including a new ignition barrel, I don't see your problem, Just use the key that comes with the new lock but mark it so you know where it goes.

I plan to fit central locking sometime in the future so that should solve most of my problems with having a pocket full of keys lol.

Rob

Aceman

Well-Known Forum User
I didn't have any keys for the old lock. Plus the fact that I have four different keys for my car now due to having bought all new locks including a new ignition barrel, I don't see your problem, Just use the key that comes with the new lock but mark it so you know where it goes.

I plan to fit central locking sometime in the future so that should solve most of my problems with having a pocket full of keys lol.

Rob

Ah, so your lock from that ebay link came with a key?

Just the ebay advert says it doesn't come with a key (and thus my issue) as I already have a lock, just no key for it!

I'll drop him an email and see if he has any with keys!

I agree though, long term central locking appeals, but I'd only have 3 keys (doors/ignition and glovebox all work off of one, fuel cap and then boot) which I might be able to live with as it's a weekend car.. Might... :)

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of this guy though!

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
Ah, so your lock from that ebay link came with a key?

Sorry mate I didn't read it properly, When I bought mine it was brand new with two keys, And assumed it was the them with this one, I should of read it properly :(.

He's not a bad guy though so might be able to point you in the right direction.

Rob

2fast2z

Well-Known Forum User
Just for the record, that guy Reddat, doesen't have anything Nissan don't stock, he get's all his parts from Nissan Texas, put them on ebay for 2 X the price and fuck you in shipping on top of that.

Aceman, get hold of Mr. F and ask what he can do, or get it from Curtesey Nissan in Texas.

Chris

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
i heard that you can rekey them a few years ago,never tried it myself,i think i might have a spare one but will not get chance to have a look for a week or so

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
Just for the record, that guy Reddat, doesen't have anything Nissan don't stock, he get's all his parts from Nissan Texas, put them on ebay for 2 X the price and fuck you in shipping on top of that.

Everybody is entitled to make a profit and if people are willing to pay his price for what is some hard to find stuff over here then I don't see a problem, I've bough loads of stuff off him over the years and it always arrives on time well packed and he marks down the shipping value so happy days ;).

It's not like I can pop down to my local Nissan dealer in Texas is it :lol:.

Rob

pmac

Well-Known Forum User

Aceman, get hold of Mr. F and ask what he can do, or get it from Curtesey Nissan in Texas.

Chris

Datsun 240z,260z,280z,280zx,510 Underhood Light - NOS - eBay (item 370457376471 end time Mar-16-11 14:03:56 PDT)

VS......
Engine Inspection Lamp Assembly - S30 and S130 :: Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com

Nice work if you can get it!!!!!

Aceman

Well-Known Forum User

Blimey!!

Still, if people will pay it!!

Mind you, saying that, have you seen how much 240z series 1 Ash tray/lighter surrounds go for??!! Didn't realise the hole in my dash was gonna be so pricey to fill!!

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
Ha Ha Ha Rob

Just as easy as buying on ebay try it having a part# will help alot.

My problem was that my car was missing loads of bits and at the time I hadn't yet learned much about where or how to track down a lot of the bits I needed quickly, So I was happy to pay what he wanted plus at the time shipping was a hell of a lot cheaper, Now days it's the shipping from the USA that's killing it.

Rob

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User

You know what Pete that is shocking, But it's not everybody that has your wealth of experience in finding parts for our old Datsuns ;):bow:.

Now you've shared your knowledge we can all benefit and save ourselves a fortune :thumbs:.

Rob

samuri-240

Well-Known Forum User

Chris

I'll agree with that Chris not only does he screw you on the parts his shipping charges are crazy, used him a few times but never again.