Registering an import without title

johnymd

Club Member
At the moment I'm just "chewing the fat" but is it possible to register a US import that was imported by someone else with all duties paid and on the nova system, but no title. I thought a title was required but after a bit of research this may not be the case. Anyone got experience with this?

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
No title means you need a dating letter.
If it is the car we spoke about yesterday, I doubt you can get the dating letter from anywhere in the UK.
The manufacturer will not play ball so you will have to go Stateside for the dating letter (if it is available at all).
I think I know where you can go to ask the question. It is a risk as DVLA can be sniffy about what they will and won't accept, so may be best to check with them first either way that what you may be able to get is OK.

johnymd

Club Member
It is for the car we spoke about. The seller says he has the title but I haven’t seen so I’m looking at worse case and if I can register it if it doesn’t turn up. I bought it for a lot less than advertised but need to assess if the deal is still viable.

uk66fastback

Club Member
Seller says he has the title - but you say there is no title - confused. So if you buy it, you won't get the title. ??

johnymd

Club Member
Took a 4hr drive up to see the car yesterday. I had already asked about being on the nova database and if it had a US title and was told yes. When I got there the guy I’d talked to wasn’t around but his business partner was. He showed me the car and we got it up on a ramp so I could do some digging. Body was good with all original looking paint and absolutely no filler. Underneath was mostly very solid but it did have a few isolated holes that were not mentioned so the price was adjusted substantially to suit. He showed me the US sales and shipping invoice but he didn’t have the title as it was at home. We sealed the deal and I’m waiting for a picture of the US title. He will then send the title with the car when they deliver it. They all seem pretty honest (don’t they all) and deal mainly in Healy’s from the states of which they have over 20.

I want the car but need to work out whether to still take it with no title if it just doesn’t turn up.

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
The original title is required at the US port on export by US Customs to check car has not been stolen, so would assume there is a title.

Also, the fact there is a NOVA doc means it has been exported as a car, not parts, so think all will be fine, but make sure you have sight of it before parting with your (nearly) hard earned cash

Fairlineguy

Club Member
Registered french Renault 4 van earlier this year without any french papers.
Had to get a dating letter from the classic Renault club and provide a statement to say that the original
Papers had been lost .They then sent out there inspector to check car/chassis number.
Can’t see that you would have a problem registering.
Just need a dating letter and the vehicle on the nova System

datsfun

Club Member
The original title is required at the US port on export by US Customs to check car has not been stolen, so would assume there is a title.

Also, the fact there is a NOVA doc means it has been exported as a car, not parts, so think all will be fine, but make sure you have sight of it before parting with your (nearly) hard earned cash

Makes sense as most countries require a legit log book / title before the car can be exported.

However , this appears not to be the case with Intra EU movement of cars ( no export requirements at least pre Brexit) as noted in the post above. In such a case, is there an increased risk that car stolen in EU can be legitimately registered in UK using just a dating letter ?

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Makes sense as most countries require a legit log book / title before the car can be exported.

However , this appears not to be the case with Intra EU movement of cars ( no export requirements at least pre Brexit) as noted in the post above. In such a case, is there an increased risk that car stolen in EU can be legitimately registered in UK using just a dating letter ?

Maybe so.........
Unless there is an international list of stolen vehicles circulated to the DVLA and other EU licensing authorities which is checked before new registrations?
Somehow I doubt it........but who knows?
btw I've heard Renault 4 vans are easy to get into using a wire coat hanger :EXTRAlol:

datsfun

Club Member
Maybe so.........
Unless there is an international list of stolen vehicles circulated to the DVLA and other EU licensing authorities which is checked before new registrations?
Somehow I doubt it........but who knows?:EXTRAlol:

I too doubt that there is a stolen register which is shared across EU establishments .

I had a rare DR30 SKYLINE , the FJ20 turbo variety nicked over a decade ago. On the night it went missing, it was spotted being towed by a foreign registered white van so our conclusion was it was exported to EU and perhaps legitimately registered in destination country:( ( ...given that there is no parts market for said model.)

johnymd

Club Member
I bit more progress.

I check with HMRC and the car hasn’t had duty paid and is not on the nova system.

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
I bit more progress.

I check with HMRC and the car hasn’t had duty paid and is not on the nova system.

Why does it say in the advert 'NOVA present and all taxes and duties paid'
Are they just wasting everyone's time?
Seems an odd way to go about business.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I bit more progress.

Makes it tricky, as you will need the original logbook to help backup your case and other paperwork to get it put on the Nova system.

johnymd

Club Member
Car has now had all its duty paid. I rang HMRC and they were very enthusiastic about saying all duty has been paid and the paperwork is all in order ready for me to register the car with the DVLA. Just waiting for it to be delivered now. I have specified it cant get wet so needs to be a dry day...........I could be waiting a while now!!!

richiep

Club Member
I have specified it cant get wet so needs to be a dry day...........I could be waiting a while now!!!

I'm with you on that one! My taking the red car to storage and getting the project home all happened within that small 3-4 day window of dry weather we had early last week. It became a frantic exercise trying to get a transporter sorted on short notice to shift it when not raining!