Rear wishbones 240/260.

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
I wanted to ask for other peoples opinions on the rear wishbones of the 240/260 maybe 280 I'm not sure about the 280 as I've never seen one close up, We know that Nissan where so bloody lazy that they only made one rear wishbone to suit both sides of the car, Requiring one to be tuned upside down.

My question for you is do you think the fact that the anti roll bar drop link is fitted at different heights side to side would effect the anti roll bars performance, Maybe acting differently side to side due to the difference in height and pressure applied to it in use ?.

I was thinking that maybe a longer drop link should be used on the side that sites lower in the wishbone.

You may think it's a silly thing to think about but these kind of things rattle about in my tiny brain until I solve the them :unsure:.

Rob

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Are they really different heights, I haven't looked but that sounds a strange thing for Nissan to do?

tel240z

Club Member
on my wishbones the mounting point for the anti-roll bar links are along the same plane due to nissan using a depressed plate section for the links to go through, which in turn makes them level upside down or not

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
on my wishbones the mounting point for the anti-roll bar links are along the same plane due to Nissan using a depressed plate section for the links to go through, which in turn makes them level upside down or not

On mine the depressed bit makes one side sit lower than the other, One side sits on the flat side of the plate you're on about Terry but once you've flipped it over for the other side it then sits in the depression making a couple of inches difference side to side.

I noticed it myself when I had a bit of a pig of a job getting the new anti roll bar one, But the guy at the garage doing the last few jobs pointed it out to me again yesterday and was asking if it was supposed to be like that, I said it was but I was also unhappy about the bar sitting at different heights side to side as it must make some sort of difference how ever little it maybe.

Mike assures me it is right but I think it's a bit daft :unsure:.

Rob

tel240z

Club Member
Rob my wishbones are 40mm deep wit a 20mm depressed plate between the 2 sides this makes my anti-roll bar sit purfect here's some pics to illustrate

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    340.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    315.8 KB · Views: 23

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
Rob my wishbones are 40mm deep wit a 20mm depressed plate between the 2 sides this makes my anti-roll bar sit perfect here's some pics to illustrate

Looks similar to mine but I'll pop over and take a good look at it tomorrow when it's up on the ramp :rolleyes:, I haven't seen under it for a few weeks it was just the garage pointing out to me that they thought it didn't look right yesterday when they phoned me with a progress report.

Maybe something else isn't sitting as it should that or they're blind lol, After looking long and hard at your two pics I can see that taking into account the design of the wishbone that they should sit at the same height side to side, Maybe I'm the dumb ass lol. I'll defo have to take a look at it tomorrow because now I think I'm going mad :(:lol:.

Rob

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

johnymd

Club Member
I remember looking at this a few years back and as Tel say, by design the mounting position is central in the wishbone and therefore makes no difference which way up it is. If your car is sitting higher one side than the other then it is due to something else. I guess by the time you sit in the car there will always be a difference, unless you adjust the suspension to make an allowance for this.

zpuppy

Well-Known Forum User
So long as there is no added "preload" to either side of the torsion member,or "anti roll bar" there will be no effect on the handling of the vehicle. We used to set much stiffer springs on one side of our trucks depending on wich way round the oval track we where running ,,and preload the torsion bars as well,,,:driving:

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
So long as there is no added "preload" to either side of the torsion member,or "anti roll bar" there will be no effect on the handling of the vehicle. We used to set much stiffer springs on one side of our trucks depending on wich way round the oval track we where running ,,and preload the torsion bars as well,,,:driving:

Thanks for all the advice I'm going to check it out tomorrow when they have it up on the ramp, It was away having the camber/tracking/toe and caster set up today so hopefully they would of found any issues.

Rob