Rear Valance / Side Rear Bumper Mounting Holes?

s2k_adz

Club Member
Hey guys. Just coming to the paint on my car now and it's occurred to me I have random holes in the rear valance and on the side where the bumpers mount. I do want to run bumpers but I'm not sure these holes are needed?

In this photo you can see the side ones where the side of the bumper goes. Is this hole needed to run a bumper?

e0e52e3e4c58c245213282658b9475e8.jpg

Also on the rear valance I did fill in most of the holes but it has occurred to be I have one random one left just in the indent towards the top of the valance and a long 8" one. Why are these here? Can I just weld them up?

579fa7f7ac8b5773e33754a55b020a17.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Mr.F

Inactive
Side holes are part of the bumper mounting - bolts pass through from the inside to captive nuts in the side brackets on bumper corner (2+2 utilise a different system...).
The tiny hole offset to right allows cable from a bumper mounted number plate lamp to pass into the body to hook up to rear lamp wiring. If converting to overhead number plate lamp it will not be required.

s2k_adz

Club Member
Side holes are part of the bumper mounting - bolts pass through from the inside to captive nuts in the side brackets on bumper corner (2+2 utilise a different system...).
The tiny hole offset to right allows cable from a bumper mounted number plate lamp to pass into the body to hook up to rear lamp wiring. If converting to overhead number plate lamp it will not be required.
Wow thanks Mike that's really helpful. If I'm keeping the bumper the side holes need to stay then.

What about the 8" or so long 'letterbox' cutout on the passenger side? What's this for?

Thanks so much for your help! And again for the Email help re the struts the other day!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

uk66fastback

Club Member
I'll have to look a bit closer from now on, as I have to my knowledge not seen a bumper-mounted no. plate lamp - I thought they ALL went above the rear plate?

Russell

Club Member
I'll have to look a bit closer from now on, as I have to my knowledge not seen a bumper-mounted no. plate lamp - I thought they ALL went above the rear plate?

My 2+2 has both bumper mounted and above the number plate. I was going to ditch the bumper ones but have to keep them as there are gaping holes in the bumpers underneath.

Mr.F

Inactive
bumper-mounted no. plate lamp
Was only on UK cars as far as I know - some obscure legislation about lighting that was in force at the time. Same with UK front bumper mounted indicators - the corner marker / indicators of other markets would not have been legal on new UK cars in the '70s.

Farmer42

Club Member
My 2+2 has both bumper mounted and above the number plate. I was going to ditch the bumper ones but have to keep them as there are gaping holes in the bumpers underneath.

Russell

I have a chrome rear bumper for a 2+2 in fairly good condition without the holes for the number plate lights. The rubber strips are missing and would need replacing but I could let you have the bumper for £50. PM me if interested and I will take some photos.

Paul