Rear transverse link arm. What and why?

nospark

Well-Known Forum User
240Z. On the rear suspension, is it correct that Nissan made one shape of the transverse link arm ? Looking at my car and looking at diagrams on the internet it seems that on one side of the car the ridges on the arms protrude up and the other side they face down. (On one side the flat plate is on the top and on the other side its on the bottom). Nissan simply made one shape and you have to flip one of them over to fit the other side. And I only just noticed this....

Why did they do this ? Just to save a bit on manufacture ? If anyone can confirm this, I have a follow up question

nospark

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks for the confirmation Dan

So, because the transition link arms are flipped it seems that the rear anti roll bar is fixed at different heights on each of the link arms. One side is fixed at a raised bump on the link arm. On the other side of the car the bump on the link is now a depression because it is flipped...and therefore about half an inch lower for the anti roll bar fixing point.

This causes an unequal stress on the anti roll bar ? Is this significant in the handling of the car between one side and the other ? Do LHD and RHD cars have the same set up ?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
My recollection of the dimple is that it makes the arb mount point equal on both sides, and the arb is level. I'll check mine in the AM

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Here's photos of my lower arms. I've tried to take them square on in the plane of the rear arms.
The lower bolt of the arb links is visible in both about the same.
e7754904e9bb7bfb93cd18a6207de2ff.jpg

b57de30fd8c20fa0809a923d44d0d82f.jpg