Rear screen heating elements

Farmer42

Club Member
Hi Ali

I was looking at the Frostfighter elements last year and I think I asked a similar question. I haven't tried it and was very reluctant to spend that kind of money and it doesn't work. I had visions of the old stick-on demisters that used to peel off after 5 minutes or a little sunshine. Given that I rarely take the car out in the rain or in Winter months when you are going to need a demister, I decided to drop the idea. I confess I hadn't seen the Holden product which is a fair bit cheaper.

It really depends on the thickness of the elements. I would want it to lie over the existing but I wouldn't want it any thicker or it would look odd from the outside.

I can't believe that with the amount of classic cars around and given that most cars have a demister, there aren't more companies (or even any at all) that repair these elements.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Good point Paul, I researched silk printing it on but didn't have much joy. Most screens I see have a very faint ghost of what elements were there. Mine look all there but return 100s of Kohms rather than ohms so defo broken. I would also want to track the same lines - but like you, I have reservations about how good they are longer term. In reality they only need to get warm not hot so a decent glue should cope.

Jon - I do remember that well. :thumbs: A good solution to the problem but I was looking for something more stealthy. I even designed one with centrifugal flat PC fans behind a custom deeper stock "looking" rear panel but then realised I'd be gassing myself out with exhaust fumes [emoji1] [emoji14] bigger fish in the frier at the moment (one of which is 35Kgs) but still thinking of a solution to this one for another time!

5-6 like this in a row pointing up from them bottom of the screen behind the panel.

2cc0d34617f3ccd1e96cf10c7a5aba12.jpg

Last edited:

TimW

Club Member
here's the answer Ali https://zclub.net/community/index.php?threads/broken-heated-rear-window-solution.15863/
get one of those jobbies fitted by the interior light and you can clean that useless old metal off your rear glass.

It worked really well!... It was fitted to the original demister connection if I recall correctly and worked a treat, plus the unit itself was very discrete. I've since removed mine/Rob's, for two reasons, one being I'm a bit anal and the cables tacked to the side of the screen looked a little unsightly if you looked hard enough haha... and two, I only drive in the summer, this being the decider. More than happy to post mine if anyone wants to give it a try.