Rear light upgrade

DaveF

Club Member
Afternoon folk,

Any recommendations to make my rear lights brighter? Apparently it's quite difficult to tell when my brake lights are on?

Ian

Club Member
Check the wiring is ok, voltage and resistance.

If its anything like the other lights on these cars then the current goes through the switch, so check the wiring at the brake light switch also. (I could be wrong on this)

Could upgrade to LED.

MCBladeRun

Club Member

These are the guys I used

Attachments

• DSC_0193.JPG
    DSC_0193.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 17

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Erm, off piste suggestion but - mine passed three MOTs before the fourth MOT tester failed it and told me why the brake lights weren’t bright enough.

It’s laughably easy to insert the bulb holders the wrong way round into the back of the light cluster. So my brake bulbs were sitting behind the reflectors!!!! Check they are the right way round before going to spend on brighter bulbs.

On that note, I went LED to reduce the load on the alternator. But they are not brighter, just more instant and less load on the wiring etc.

Last edited:

DaveF

Club Member
Erm, off piste suggestion but - mine passed three MOTs before the fourth MOT tester failed it and told me why the brake lights weren’t bright enough.

It’s laughably easy to insert the bulb holders the wrong way round into the back of the light cluster. So my brake bulbs were sitting behind the reflectors!!!! Check they are the right way round before going to spend on brighter bulbs.

On that note, I went LED to reduce the load on the alternator. But they are not brighter, just more instant and less load on the wiring etc.

I did a quick check last night....and they are LED's already! Still not much difference between brakes and rear lights though, so I'm wondering if the bulbs fitted are cheap versions?? Didn't have time to fully get into it, but I'm going to check these (and the wiring at the switch)

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Always good to check the wiring and switch. The switch can be had off eBay relatively cheaply.

I would say try some ordinary bulbs in first - they are pennies these days as I had exactly those issues with cheap LEDs before from eBay.

DaveF

Club Member
Always good to check the wiring and switch. The switch can be had off eBay relatively cheaply.

I would say try some ordinary bulbs in first - they are pennies these days as I had exactly those issues with cheap LEDs before from eBay.

Funny you should mention that Ali - I was thinking to go back to ordinary bulbs to see what they'd be like too!

MCBladeRun

Club Member
Is your rear cluster clean as well? Stupid question. Some LED bulbs go dim over time because they're not manufactured well.

toopy

Club Member
The older style led bulbs (below) weren't always as bright as you'd think/hope for, where as the newer style (bottom) are way brighter if not too bright some times!

older style led.jpg
newer style led.jpg