Rear Diffs

Wyn

Club Member
Can someone please explain what this diff is all about :confused:

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding it, but is it a diff from a 240 or is it just the innards from a Subaru in a 240 case?
Or is it a complete Subaru diff that fits a Zed :confused:

Link Here

0e_1_b.JPG

btw, what is a 510 ?

GTR-240Z

Well-Known Forum User
I think Nissan supply Subaru with certain parts like diffs. And the 510 is just another name for the Bluebird like in the picture below.

ampavt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Black Bug

Well-Known Forum User
Subaru R180s come up fairly regularly on Ebay UK, you need to make sure though that it's not the smaller R160 though. However for your beasty you definitely want an R200 with a much taller (lower number) ratio than a 4.11:1. I'd guess 3.7:1 max. Luckily 3.7 diffs are fairly common as are the 3.5s from the 2+2. I think the Chimeara ratio is around 3.3:1. Getting an R200 with LSD is a lot trickier though unfortunately.

Cheers,
Rob

Wyn

Club Member
lol when you said bluebird I was thinking of something a bit later then that, that looks more like a Fiat 131 to me :eek:
Can't say I've ever seen more then one of them :eek:

Rob
I had a 2+2 diff {std I bet} but left it in the car when I sold the shell, to lazy to take it out
doh.gif

I take it a R180 and R200 are a straight swap with each other or are the shafts n mounts needed?

btw, Does the diff from a 200sx {S13 or S14} fit into a Zed?

Black Bug

Well-Known Forum User
900ss said:
Rob
I had a 2+2 diff {std I bet} but left it in the car when I sold the shell, to lazy to take it out
doh.gif

I take it a R180 and R200 are a straight swap with each other or are the shafts n mounts needed?

btw, Does the diff from a 200sx {S13 or S14} fit into a Zed?

For the R200 swap you need the R200 moustache bar, although I have heard rumours that you can turn the R180 bar around and redrill the diff mounting holes, probably work-ish! But it's a fairly straight forward swap other than that. If you're keeping the UJ half-shafts then you need the correct output shafts for the R200, course if you get one from a Z then you'd be OK. Alternatively you can swap to stronger 280ZX CV shafts (if you can get some) but you then need adapted companion flanges at the outer end, available from http://www.modernmotorsports.com

The 200SX diff swap is a lot tricker as it's a short nose version of the R200. Although the rear mount is the same, as the diff is shorter you need to fab up a completely new front mount system, and of course have a longer propshaft. I'm currently attempting it myself, although being greatly hampered by my inability to weld. I'll get there in the end.

One more semi-option is to take the viscous LSD centre from an 200SX diff and fit that into a Z R200 but you'd have to then use the CV shafts from the 200SX, modified for length, and still need to figure out how to connect them to the hubs - easy ;) - a lot of work for only a viscous LSD.

Cheers,
Rob

Wyn

Club Member
Cheers Rob
As usual a very helpful answer, you've obv spent yrs studing the subject
compute.gif
, cheers
clap.gif

I see what you mean by a 200sx diff now

Does look a bit short lol

56_1_b.JPG

Just found this Impreza diff fa sale n it does look mighty similar to me as a novice.

cc_2.JPG

Add Here

Black Bug

Well-Known Forum User
I think I'm about getting to grips with what a diff is now ;)

I saw that Scooby diff on ebay too, think it's a R180 but there isn't a lot of difference visually between the R180 and R160 which you obviously don't want. The chances of the seller knowing if it's a R180 or R160 is pretty slim though.

http://mercury.larkbooks.com/dime/
510 info and a pic of a Scooby R160, spot the difference ,cos I can't :D

Cheers,
Rob

Wyn

Club Member
Rob
The only obv difference I can see atm is the output splines/flanges aren't present on that R180 diff (if that's what it is) comp with this R160 ?

subielsd.JPG

Wyn

Club Member
Paul
Very impressed with the prop I had made, so if it came to it I would get recoprop to make the shafts.

Found these Zed sites earlier
Some very intersting info n pics :cool:

Link

Link 2

Last edited by a moderator:

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
blimey, those diffs get every where! dunno mate. unbolt n try, but look at gearing first so not to waste your time! i think you need very low geared or engine will rev its tits off at 70!

Wyn

Club Member
Paul reading the spec on them "early" SVX cars they were sup to be good fa 140+ :confused:
Should be good fa more then 70 mph then?
I think I need to take a closer look under me car lol :D

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
i dont know what the svx revved at. if it was 8k for arguments sake and your motor will only rev to 5 1/2. forget torque etc. input to box( box ratio assuming the same). not my field really but a 3.5 diff r 200 sound fav..... maybe wrong their too. suck it n see or get the calculator out!:D

Wyn

Club Member
SVX Engine Specifications:
3.3 litre 6 cylinder 24 valve DOHC Boxer engine.
230 horsepower @ 5400 rpm
Torque: 228 @ 4400 rpm

I guess 6k was it's redline but can't say I know?
17' rims might be called for on mine then if it fits lol :D

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
i guess you will have to get on your knees to mr f. i think the calculator is his best atribute......besides the z world!:D :D :D

Black Bug

Well-Known Forum User
Looks like you'll have to pull it and open it up to measure the crown wheel diameter. Then you'll also have to figure something out about the CV shafts and connecting them to your hub stub axles, could be tricky. I'd say shoot for a R200, with 3.7:1 being at the upper limit of where you want to be, a 3.5 probably being a better choice. Check this site out to see what sort of speeds you'll get with various gearing/wheel combos:
http://www.geocities.com/z_design_studio/
Obviously doesn't tell the whole story about how the car puts the power down to the tarmac but always interesting to get your max speed bragging figures in order ;)

Have you spoken with Mr. F. regarding diff ratios?

Cheers,
Rob

Wyn

Club Member
News just in ;) I have it on good authority, with that SVX diff ratio/Cossie 5spd n on 70 profile 14” tyres me Zed will top out at 140+ mph @ 6k :cool:
That'll do me lol

Rob reading the links above it reads to me like the zed drive flanges pop out on some 260 diff's?
Is that right?
If that’s the case then maybe they would pop back into that SVX diff lol
pray.gif

MrF?, Before I diff-er about to much I want to get it running :D

Black Bug

Well-Known Forum User
I don't know if the flanges pop out on the R180, they do on the R200 but alas they wouldn't fit into the R180 as the R200 is wider so the shafts are longer.

If you really want to try that scooby diff then I'd suggest looking at modding the CV shafts on it so that it can be hooked up to the Z stub axle companion flanges. You'd also have to check the pinion flange had the same bolt pattern as your new propshaft, you should be able to swap the pinion flange from your Z R180 though on to it. Def starts to get complicated ;)

You're right though to get the darn motor running first, sod it if it blows up the diff you've got in place :D

Cheers,
Rob