Rb n/a z ?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Has anyone fitted an RB without turbos in a Z ? Wouldn't this most ressemble an evolution of a n/a L series, with a DOHC and injection ? Raise the comp ratio and it must be good for 250bhp......no, someone ?

bongo

Well-Known Forum User
the thought of cheap performance and reasonable economy from an NA RB had crossed my mind...

richiep

Club Member
It's been done in Japan and by a couple of guys down under - using triple throttle bodies. Rocky Auto in Japan has also done some of their conversions putting triple Mikuni 50s on RB25 and 26s.

They very much look like a modern evolution of the S20.

See this thread:

RB25DE into 240Z Conversion.

nzeder

Forum User
Yes I am doing one :) it has been a long term project. The engine I have was build in Japan using a RB25 block and RB26 head. Internals are balanced with adjustable cam gears, high lift cams, 1.0mm metal head gasket the list goes one. It had the stock RB26 TB's and plenum with a Top Secret ECU. However as I already had some DCOE throttle bodies (I was going to install on my L30 I build) I had some RB26 to DCOE adaptors made. I hope to have the car going by the end of this year.

Here are some pics of the engine - info is also in the thread linked to above.

Then I attached the DCOE Adaptors plates

Here is the DCOE throttle bodies

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Power output expected at what revs, torque ? What comp ratio will you run ? Was it expensive to get to that point, ie pistons I assume ?

nzeder

Forum User
Power output expected at what revs, torque ? What comp ratio will you run ? Was it expensive to get to that point, ie pistons I assume ?
Engine was already build :) cost was less than my L30 bottom end build (which was N42 running 90mm bore, cast Tomie pistons from Japan, balanced blah blah sold after I sold my 240z race car. Head went with the car (it was a 3.2L) and bottom end to another local racer here in NZ)

Time will tell what the power output will be but given what is inside the block/head I am hoping it makes around 220-240 RWHP comp ratio is around 10.5:1 if all else fails I can always pick up another RB30e bottom end (sold my last one last year) as they are common here :D

If you would like to know the total cost of the engine complete from the importer was approx £1,500 but add to that the DCOE throttle bodies (I already had these) and the new ECU another £1,500 for those. So if I did not have these sucky bits I would have kept the engine as imported with RB26 TB's and plenum and Top Secret ECU.

Also since I purchased this engine I have seen for sale here in NZ one of the rare AUTECH RB26DE for around the same amount of coin (but with no gearbox, my hybrid RB was a complete unit with box, and that is some special stuff inside it too ;)) which are 10.5:1 forged from AUTECH these make 280ps flywheel so I am hoping mine hybrid will be about the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Hmmmm........would you remin us from what crs come the engines you quote - RB26, RB30 ? They are only on Skylines in the UK (I think) and here in France they don't exist !

280flywheel PS - what then is the advantage (aside from a different look under the bonnet) of a DOHC engine - my L3.1 isn't far off that ?

nzeder

Forum User
Hmmmm........would you remin us from what crs come the engines you quote - RB26, RB30 ? They are only on Skylines in the UK (I think) and here in France they don't exist !

280flywheel PS - what then is the advantage (aside from a different look under the bonnet) of a DOHC engine - my L3.1 isn't far off that ?
yes my L3.2 was more than that and my mates L2.9 is more than my old L3.2 (better head work on his 2.9) for me it is the look of a DOHC engine that is all. There is no real performance difference - there might be in MPG but the good old L6 is a good engine Nissan did a great job on the L-Gata

RB30e engines came in the following cars here in NZ (same as AU)
Holden Commodore VL
Nissan Skyline R31
Nissan Patrol

But many many Holden Commodores.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Yeah, look accepted and I'd imagine with Fi there would be a small advantage (but then Fi on an L-Gata is ok too), is it a (I won't say cheaper) less expensive option that doing an L series stroker for 250bhp + ?
Based upon triple cars and Fi ?

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
I did consider doing an NA RB30 with an RB26 head on triple thottle bodies setup (turbos suck:lol:) a couple of years ago but at that time getting a RB30 into the UK was trickier and more costly than it should have been, the RB26 head was also quiet pricey and difficult to find...... would have made a torquey setup though, not sure about its ability to rev (which on an NA is critical) due to the port shapes on the RB26 head and the lack of squish.

Plus I guess it would also class as a hybrid swap and as such would (for the sake of the drag challenge) have put me in a class where by I would have been up against forced induction cars.

Mr.F

Inactive
put me in a class where by I would have been up against forced induction cars.

...or in the case of this year, in a class on your own.

RB30s did appear in Patrols in the UK briefly - I had a '94 SWB with one in - but they don't officially appear on the parts discs!