Ramblings from an old Zedder in 2019

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hi everyone, here's wishing you all a healthy 2020 with lots of Z enjoyment.

It's been another year of 'garage frustration' where I have lots of jobs to do on my two Zeds but no space to work on them. I made a compromise when I bought my new house 38 years ago and have lived with it ever since. I only have a single garage into which I can 'push' a Zed but not work on it. I can't even open the car door fully so most jobs have to be done on the drive and over the years I have done many, many major jobs this way.

Anyway if we have a dry year in 2020 I'll 'crack-on'. However as you get older your 'productivity' reduces so be warned - don't save anything big, or start anything big unless you are confident of finishing it. I was far more productive with my hobby when I was working full-time with 3 kids than I am now (nearly 68). Be warned.

Both of my cars run and drive, in fact I was out in the Samuri a couple of days ago - I like to keep them that way.

One thing I can do is 'bench work' so I've spent some time rebuilding a set of Dellorto 40DHLA carbs I picked up from a member. They required a complete strip-down to the very last 'ball bearing' because they had been 'glass blasted' complete and were full of the stuff. I'm confident they are excellent now and I have learned a lot about them - I read the Des Hammill book whilst abroad in the sun.

I've also rebuilt my 'Hitachi 3 screw' carbs on my blue 240. Some of you may remember I had to strip one carb down at the side of the road when on my way to the Gold Cup last year! For reference the 'posts' that the float hinges from is a different height for the front and rear carb. This is normal - I thought I had an 'unmatched' pair.

Hopefully in 2020 I'll finish my wiring upgrade on the blue car (should have removed the dash really) and maybe sell it to a guy who wants it. Then my Sam can get the garage space instead of being under 3 covers!

All the best for 2020, Rob20191127_165850.jpg 20191130_153638.jpg

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Did you ever use those 40's and mallory?

No Jason. I have them and think the carbs would work well on a 2.4 engine. The chokes are 28 so small for anything bigger or modified.

I already have 40s on my 260 Sam with 30 chokes. My modified 2.8 240 would need bigger chokes/jets I think.

The problem with 6 cylinder engines is that the cost of experimenting with chokes/jets is expensive.

The Mallory ignition again is worth a try but both my cars have 280ZX dizzys and work fine.

Nothing lost though - one day.............

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Great post Rob and wishing you and family the same for 2020.

I too have the small garage issue and tonnes of not started projects on the Z to contend with.

Comparing the 123 ignition to the 280zx dizzy on my engine, I’m not sure there is much in it for road driving so maybe you don’t really need the Mallory unless you are aiming for ultimate BHP. ;)

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Great post Rob and wishing you and family the same for 2020.

I too have the small garage issue and tonnes of not started projects on the Z to contend with.

Comparing the 123 ignition to the 280zx dizzy on my engine, I’m not sure there is much in it for road driving so maybe you don’t really need the Mallory unless you are aiming for ultimate BHP. ;)

Dave Jarman told me to 'ditch' the Mallory as the 280ZX dizzy was excellent. However as 280ZX dizzys get scarce I have a brand new system.