Rally Z for sale of Facebook

TimW

Club Member
Thanks for posting, that looks interesting.

From chatting to a few members the other day as I'm now actively looking for another Z, I think a lot of dealers and private sellers are now using Facebook to advertise. Ebay's rep is shot a bit as far as I can gather and the cost of other outlets is getting expensive. Maybe wrong, it was what I picked up as to cars on Facebook. Seen a few over the past months.

Does anyone know this car? MOT history dating back to 2015 but not much movement on mileage, a few hundred miles which I suppose fits with some races etc.

Last edited:

Jay.

Club Member
I actually sold 2 cars via Facebook and will always put an advert on there. The traffic is a lot less serious, but the ability to share cars into lots of groups means you get a huge audience of people who might just take a fancy to it.

The 240z looks nice though! Best of luck if anyone goes to view it.

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
eBay still gets a car in front of the largest audience from a single advert I would imagine although not always the highest quality response, generally the cheaper the car, the more timewasters in my experience of selling on there

carandclassic is my go to site otherwise

Word of mouth and recommendation are always the best and cheapest means of contact of course.

Facebook maybe has the potential to overtake eBay but still seems very random and fragmented to me as a reliable selling medium.
It seems popular for low value runabout cars in a local market place but I have yet to find a useable site on FB for selling classics in the UK
You can have your own FB page to back up a website and that can work well in bringing a more friendly and informal approachable face to a business

Which UK FB group or sales page would a dealer put a classic car on ? Genuinely interested ;)

Back to the car in question in Dorset which on the face of it does look well priced for a rhd car
Car first reg. July 1971 so should be on a 'J' reg plate
It wears an 'M' reg plate which means August 73 - July 74
You can put an older reg plate on a car but never a newer one ? Odd........

TimW

Club Member
Back to the car in question in Dorset which on the face of it does look well priced for a rhd car

I'd wondered about lack of tailgate vents and vents being in the side. Tailgate vents are up to and inclusive of 71's, correct, or is it 70?

Same thought re price Chris.

Darn it, I'd been trying to get away from Social Media and deleted my FB account after the data scandal. Looks like I'll be joining FB again!... Protest over!..

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I'd wondered about lack of tailgate vents and vents being in the side. Tailgate vents are up to and inclusive of 71's, correct, or is it 70?

Darn it, I'd been trying to get away from Social Media and deleted my FB account after the data scandal. Looks like I'll be joining FB again!... Protest over!..
Don't do it - FB is evil. I'm sure they're in terminal decline, only a matter of time. (I've been saying that about Apple since 2005 too).

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User

Years ago, Swansea used to give 'new' plates to private imports of used cars, so some cars ended up looking younger than they really are.

Two cases in point are my 1970 Fairlady Z-L (given a 'W' suffix plate by Swansea when it was first registered in the UK in late 1980) and my white 1972 Fairlady 240ZG (given an 'N' suffix plate when it was first registered in the UK after its Japanese temporary-export 'carnet' plate ran out in late 1974).

That might well be the case here, but best for any potential buyer to check it out properly as it can also indicate all sorts of other beastliness...

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User

It's not worth re-joining FB just to look at those two sites.............
I have the owner's telephone details if you want to take your interest in that car further (not his friend Dean, the seller on FB)
Text me if so and will send by return.

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
Don't see any evidence of an engine cut-off switch so obviously not much in the way of race/rallying, in this country anyway.

Seikoking

Well-Known Forum User
I have been searching for a Z for while and viewed this last weekend. I am far from an expert, but the car seems a good buy.

The back story is that owner is a former rally competitor and has owned this car for a number of years (approx 20 but can't recall exactly) and the intention was to get this converted to full rally spec and compete. Sometime early in the conversion process the suffered a severe stroke and the work stalled. After years of rehab, the owner managed to regain a normal driving licence, but highly unlikely a competition licence would ever be issued. His wife encouraged him to continue with the conversion work, primarily as a form of rehab. That brings up to now...the car is probably 70% rally spec (a guess based on very limited knowledge!!) but what I can tell you is the car is straight, bodywork is fairly rust free, engine and drive is sweet (it goes well, very well!), full safety devices cage installed, some issues with retro fit gauges, with some additional works needed to continue down the rally route or a decent amount of work to return to stock if that was your preference.

I understand the car to be a 2 owner from new, U.K. Supplied and in the same owner for along time. Quite a few spares come with the car too in case anyone is interested.

FWIW...I walked away because I would be looking to put the car back to stock spec, but felt the owner would like to see the car used for what he has worked so hard to create. Sentimental so and so that I am!