rally 280zx car

rallymanDP

Well-Known Forum User
Didn't a 2-seater 280ZX ( I think, Works-prepared ) car come over in the early 80's to do the RAC Rally ?

I seem to remember seeing a pic somewhere. No doubt Rob G would remember it - he were nobbut a Young Lad then.....

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Didn't a 2-seater 280ZX ( I think, Works-prepared ) car come over in the early 80's to do the RAC Rally ?

I seem to remember seeing a pic somewhere. No doubt Rob G would remember it - he were nobbut a Young Lad then.....

Can't ever remember seeing it! Early 80's that would make me 30 :eek:

Best thing about that 280ZX is that it's different ;)

AD240Z

Club Member

2005-09-11_221512_280ZXrally.jpg

Reactions: Huw

AD240Z

Club Member
rally280.jpg

Pictures from another z forum - this one captioned :

rally in Portugal in 1982 driven by Motoaki Kawahara

260ZG

Club Member
The entry list published in Autosport for the 1983 RAC rally has a HS130 (280ZX)

I don't have said entry list to hand just an entry on a database so at the moment don't have any more details.

rallymanDP

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks Guys - I'm not losing it after all.....I thought there was one out there somewhere.

Nice pics - looks to be a decent prep job, but must carry a weight penalty over a 240Z.

Now we just happen to have a very nice 280ZX 2 seater in stock and some spare Cibie Spotlights......

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
i was never a big fan of the 280zx but i really do like the look of it as a rally car,i think this one in OZ would look a lot better with all the stickers etc all over it.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
i was never a big fan of the 280zx but i really do like the look of it as a rally car,i think this one in OZ would look a lot better with all the stickers etc all over it.

Make an offer on it Moggy, we'll find some stickers for you. :thumbs:

'Worked' 2.8 - does that mean it's been worked to death?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Intriguing to fit triple Mikuni in 1979... looks old fashion tuning

Running to FIA and JAF rules of the time, they had little choice. If they were going to stick with the factory fuel injection, there would be little or no homologated tuning upgrades available for it.

Sylv1

Well-Known Forum User
Running to FIA and JAF rules of the time, they had little choice. If they were going to stick with the factory fuel injection, there would be little or no homologated tuning upgrades available for it.
Clear Alan, thanks for your explanation
I was indeed astonished to see carbs in 79

are they private racer or nissan’s team?

The injection that can be seen on works car mid-seventies was probably far too expensive or complex ?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
are they private racer or nissan’s team?

The injection that can be seen on works car mid-seventies was probably far too expensive or complex ?

Both privateer entries, with some Japanese dealer group (Saitama Nissan) sponsorship. Kawahara san in particular was very experienced in international rallying and had his own company supplying rally and tuning parts from the 1970s to the present day.

Not Nissan 'works' entries, so they would not have had access to Nissan's works ECGI injection setup.

I don't think the carburettors held them back at all...

Portugal 82 - S130 - Kawahara and Ishikawa-2.jpg