Rally 240Z with FIA papers on eBay

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
SeanDezart said:
Here we go again !
Sean,
Its like Groundhog day isn't it?

The vendor is claiming that it is "HS3000026" and "chassis 26" when that bodyshell / chassis is long gone. This car consists of parts from several genuine ex-Works 240Z rally cars that were attached to a 1970 Fairlady Z bodyshell in the 1980s.......

The body still has its original Fairlady Z VIN number 'S30-02552', and the engine-bay VIN plate has been overstamped with proprietary number stamps ( see pics below ).

The ex-Works parts are wonderful, but it isn't the car that it purports to be. Caveat Emptor.

Attachments

• 1970 Fairlady at Bonhams-2.jpg
    1970 Fairlady at Bonhams-2.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 1970 Fairlady at Bonhams-1.jpg
    1970 Fairlady at Bonhams-1.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 85
Last edited by a moderator:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Tantamount to mis-representation .....and worse !

And I've never seen a worse, more obvious and less-professional chassis no. 'adaptation' !

Anyone gonna upset the owner and point all this out in the interests of accuracy and fair play ?

Is then, the car fit just for parts and/or as a regular car ? Wonder what the reseve is - £20,000 ?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I can't see the point in continually claiming that it is chassis no. HS30-00026 when it quite patently isn't. Surely the car would be more likely to sell with an honest description?

There are lots of genuine ( and rare ) ex-Works parts on the car - but there is also a lot missing, and a lot that is incorrect. Look at the carburettors for instance; they are a set of Weber DCOEs from 'LAL' ( which was sold at the Bonhams Goodwood Festival of Speed sale, where this car did not sell ) and 'LAL' was sold with the correct 44PHH Mikunis that should would have been correct for this car. Everything was / is jumbled up........

Also, the vendor is claiming that the car comes with "FIA papers". However, when the car was viewed at the Bonhams auction there was only an ( incomplete ) set of copies of the FIA homologation for the '240Z' ( no. 3023 ) - which anybody can buy from the FIA. They are not special - or unique to this car - at all.

If the bodyshell had been replaced with a proper Works bodyshell ( which would throw up its own questions of what chassis number to use ) then it could be claimed that a "like-for-like" exchange had taken place. Even then, it would not be the "original" car, would it? But the Works bodyshells were quite RADICALLY different to the standard road car bodyshells ( built from many pressings that were quite unique to the Works cars ) so the Fairlady Z bodyshell is nowhere near a like-for-like replacement.

Surely the car would be more likely to sell if these issues were pointed out by the vendor?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
MrG240Z said:
Propably not, ignorance is bliss.
Not if you believe you are bidding on a "genuine" Works rally car, and the real "HS30-000026".

One day somebody is going to buy the car, and then get the hump when people like me tell them that they have a pile of ex-Works parts attached to a standard road car bodyshell.

Recipe for future grief, I reckon.

datsun dave

Club Member
Albrecht have you contacted the seller ? did he buy it as a genuine datsun rally car or did he know what the car was ?

Mr.G

Club Member
Albrecht said:
Not if you believe you are bidding on a "genuine" Works rally car, and the real "HS30-000026".
Totally agree with you, I was saying ignorance is bliss from the vendors point of you in not telling us the full story.

Datsun Dave - I think the oil filter is facing upwards as it is mounted on an oil cooler adaptor.

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
Q: Is this car the genuine article or have works parts been put on a standard bodyshell? Are the correct carbs Mikunis fitted?
22-Nov-05

A: THE CAR IS THE GENUINE ARTICLE I HAVE ALL THE fia PAPERS FOR THE CAR AND THE LOG BOOK STATING THE CHASSIS NUMBER OF WORK CAR 26 .The car purchased by Bradburn Brothers ltd in 1983

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
datsun dave said:
Albrecht have you contacted the seller ? did he buy it as a genuine datsun rally car or did he know what the car was ?
Not much point me contacting the vendor really. It would only end up in a slanging match.

I believe the eBay vendor is connected to ( possibly a relative of ) the owner who put the car into the Bonhams auction at Goodwood ( Mr Arthur Carter ).

Here's his answer to the latest questions on the auction:

"THE CAR IS THE GENUINE ARTICLE I HAVE ALL THE fia PAPERS FOR THE CAR AND THE LOG BOOK STATING THE CHASSIS NUMBER OF WORK CAR 26 .The car purchased by Bradburn Brothers ltd in 1983"
Yes, he does have the old DVLA-issued V5 for 'PTD 524K' ( the number that was allocated to chassis no. HS30-00026 after its Japanese temporary-export 'carnet' registration ran out ) - but the big problem is that he does NOT have the correct car to go with it........

The car has been re-shelled into a 1970 Fairlady Z body. This re-shelling was performed by Bradburn Brothers Ltd before the present owner bought it. He may have been convinced that it was the genuine and uncorrupted article ( who knows? ) but it is NOT 'HS30-00026' any more, and should NOT be described as such. End of story.

Look at the photos I posted of the firewall and VIN tag numbers if in any doubt.

Alan T.