Radio plan/options - advice and ideas?

bluejon

Club Member
So I need to do something with the audio in the car. Currently it has an audio system as fitted by its American owner in the early 2000s. Honestly, I can never see myself listening to the radio 4 while driving the 240 and having to concentrate on LHD, braking in advance and listening to the engine note :))

Option 1 is to leave all as is .. the only benefit I can see is that the three rear speakers are built into some boxwork that has replaced the interior taillight panel, simply fit with two screws. This 5" box makes a really handy shelf when you have the hatch open and you are tinkering around with tools, screws, polishes etc. But would I keep all the audio in just for that .. erm, no.

Option 2 is to remove everything, headunit, amp under the seat and the speakers, and sell it on. The kit has some resale value which would be nice to recoup with the benefit of removing a noticeable non-standard set of fitments to the car. I can easily replace the taillight panel. But I'll be left with a void in the centre dashboard console. Or I could just remove and sell the amp and speakers, but keep the headunit without its fascia on .. at least this way it will won't look quite so 20th century. An imperfect solution

Option 3 is to follow option 2 but try and source an OEM Hitachi unit. Expensive methinks and is it even worth doing that?

Is there an option 4? You guys must have some bright ideas ... ... ...

datsfun

Club Member
Option 4- sell the car and buy an example with necessary audio fitted in. Simples:lol:

Are you sure there is resale value for the currently fitted set up? Reason I ask is unless it's top end, you are probably looking at not a lot of coin for all that gear.

If you want to listen to music etc, surely the option of the OEM Hitachi is a non starter?

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I've got the retrosound 1. Its looks ok, but functionality is basic (no smartphone integration) and quality of components and soldering isn't great. Retrosound2 seems better. I'll put a pic up by the weekend.

Pete

Well-Known Forum User
Surely there are only two choices,an original radio if originality matters and price doesn't,or a state of the art modern radio with bluetooth and connectivity etc. I went for a modern radio, I don't regard the radio as a fundamental part of the Z 'experience'.

gls50090

Well-Known Forum User
if it helps i fitted a modern cd player inside glovebox and kept the old am/fm radio where it is as for speakers i fitted 2 6x9s in the tool compartment areas behind seats then fitted amp and flat sub under passenger seat in the end good sound all hidden and looks standard

Aceman

Well-Known Forum User
Similar to GLS50090, we've left the original, plumbed amp under passenger seat, but are running with an iPod hookup to the amp, to then some fixed (albeit larger than the standard, original, single mono speaker) speakers in the back. Works well I find!

kev64

Well-Known Forum User
Speaker wise I went down the 80's pod speaker route they sit quite nicely behind the seats on the rear floor, only trouble is they struggle at 60-70mph against the noisy exhaust :D

Attachments

• 35654TS_X200_main_med.jpg
    35654TS_X200_main_med.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 12

bluejon

Club Member
Is my understanding correct of the OEM layout which was an amp under the passenger seat, but the single rear speaker was in the panel behind the driver seat Same for LHD/RHD?