Racing just for fun !

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
With the increasing amount of fixed radar cameras, the new mobile ones and the outstanding qty of mobile radar traps here in France, the sensible thing to do to enjoy a 'prepared' Z/ ZX is to take to the circuit. When one considers that for a similar price of one hours karting, one can drive ones' own car on a circuit, it becomes interesting to consider. Now, mine (when it's finished) would be suitable but I don't want to wreck it ! That leaves the solution of buying another Z/ZX and preparing it just for the circuit.
The budget must be reasonable - to buy, 240Zs are too expensive, 260s aren't much cheaper which leaves the options of 280ZXs and Z31s. Personally speaking, I like the idea of a 2+2 to run about in for the present, to be converted later when funds permit a dedicated circuit car; This also opens up the possibility (for me) of considering a 200SX or early R30 / R31 Skyline as I want to keep the show a Nissan one !

Advantages of these cars is that that they have discs all round, tuneable engines and can be lightened. My idea would be to have a power to weight ratio that would equal 250 bhp for 1200 kgs. I'm not greedy, the budget must not be excessive and a well handling, braking car with that sort of power on slicks with a limited slip diff behind has just got to be fun !
This would be a car for occasional fun circuit use and not regular competition and therefore need not be homologated !

What do you all think - I think a 2+2 (and especially NOT a 240) would be rather original, rather like Volvo when they put the 850 estates in the BTCC !

Sean

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
A Z31 Turbo would give you adequate or tuneable power, but most 2+2's are of the targa top variety, with it's less rigid bodyshell....Put one wheel up on a kerb and try opening the door!:D
I think that the hardtop 2+2 version was only available in certain markets such as Japan and Canada!
Cheerz,
JEZ

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
sean, im glad youv'e seen the light and wishing to up grade to a 260 2+2...lmfao:D

Tony 260Z

Club Member
JEZ, are you serious? Wheel up on kerb = non-opening door? And that's normal???? Bloooody helllll.... I didn't know that!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Grolls - I don't think you read my post correctly ! "240Zs are too expensive, 260s aren't much cheaper which leaves the options of 280ZXs and Z31s" !

Body rigidity can be found by strut braces and a roll cage ! Primary concerns are power, brakes, LSD and weight, oops, sorry, forgot initial purchase price as this (for me) must be a runner in which me and my new family can enjoy Z outings all in the same car !

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
I still think you need a hardtop car for serious track work, as the Targa Top models are always going to be less torsionally rigid...and heavier!
The Z31 does make a great family outing car though!....I can only afford to run/store one ZX, so it has to be a 2+2, to fit my wife and daughter in if necessary....much as a 2 seater appeals to me!;)
Cheerz,
JEZ

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
How come then that people successfully compete convertibles ?

And this wouldn't be serious comp. work, just the occasional circuit blast for FUN !

DJZ 60

Well-Known Forum User
Yeah, Groll's. As in the Wheel's section's Sean doe'nt include all
Z owner's,just an odd model or two...................DJZ 60.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Yor're not going to have me there ! Here, I'm talking just ZXs, in the other post I'm only talking 240s !
I'm an all-round Z/ZX man so stop trying to reach the 1000post mark and reply intelligently !Give me some useful advice why not !

ShornYeti

Active Forum User
200SX makes an excellent track car IMO. Cheap to buy, cheap to run, plenty of bits available because of its popularity with the drift scene. Not sure how competitive it is - turbos/SCs tend to get bumped up a class or two. I know from when I looked at running a Mk1 MR2 Supercharger it picked up a 30% effective capacity increase due to the forced induction, putting it into >2l class and therefore in with the big boys...

alan

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks Alan,
Getting somewhere !
I've been discussing the 200, the S14 model 'cos it has a more reliable, powerfiul engine than the S13, it has airco (until it is prepared for the circuit) and an LSD and all round disc brakes !
The issue of being bumped up a grade or two is not an issue for me as I wouldn't be running the car in a competition - it would only be for club circuit days !

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
You wouldn't get an S14 for a grand though....perhaps an S13!...Have a look in the for sale section, as there's a Z31 turbo facelift for about £600.
Cheerz,
JEZ

boomer

Well-Known Forum User
Dear Sean...

I have a suggestion for ya.. your not the kind of guy to let someone pass you, then just stick a rear 240Z pannel on a 200sX... nobody will notice!

NAaaah, use your 280Zx for this... and look for a 280zx 2+2 for the familly wagon... your a 6L boy!!!