Racing Custom Parts

Skallywag

Club Member
Hi, Just the process of obtaining a cam pulley timing wheel and sensor for the Z. From my search, there seems to be only one that specifically says that there kit will fit straight on to the Datsun L series (L24 L26 L28). Has anyone dealt with Racing Custom Parts guys before?

Fairlineguy

Club Member
Been using this one as it bolts onto your stock double pulley

Skallywag

Club Member
do you mean this?
or are they going to make something custom on the cam pulley for you?
Hi Jon,
Yes, that's them. Haven't heard of them or know anyone who has dealt with them so thought I'd ask the question. They sent a reply saying there would be a six week turn round from order. I'm a little away from needing it yet as I have to get all the suspension, wheels, brakes, etc back on the car and get the engine in. Just trying to line up as many things as I can, rather than be scrabbling around when the time comes. From what I can make out they claim to make a dedicated kit for the L series, but I haven't seen any write ups, so they're a bit of an unknow quantity.

Skallywag

Club Member
Been using this one as it bolts onto your stock double pulley

Thanks for the information.

Would you recommend it? I'm shopping around at the moment. Sadly I have the single pulley not the double. But may be worth checking out. Unfortunately the link you gave isn't working.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Hi Jon,
Yes, that's them. Haven't heard of them or know anyone who has dealt with them so thought I'd ask the question. They sent a reply saying there would be a six week turn round from order. I'm a little away from needing it yet as I have to get all the suspension, wheels, brakes, etc back on the car and get the engine in. Just trying to line up as many things as I can, rather than be scrabbling around when the time comes. From what I can make out they claim to make a dedicated kit for the L series, but I haven't seen any write ups, so they're a bit of an unknow quantity.
I'm a bit confused - thats a crank pulley trigger wheel kit, but you asked about a cam pulley gear?

It looks decent, but, its a lot of money and it looks like a solid pulley which I think is a bit risky on L28+ engines. AIUI, a harmonic damper is important if its revving 7500+

I'm using a wheel from http://trigger-wheels.com, their universal bracket and a zetec VR sensor. (you can just about see it all here)
DSC_0012_4.JPG

Fairlineguy

Club Member
Thanks for the information.

Would you recommend it? I'm shopping around at the moment. Sadly I have the single pulley not the double. But may be worth checking out. Unfortunately the link you gave isn't working.
Don’t know why the link isn’t working Just Google milkfab
Very happy with the fit and how it works tbh I’d swap to a double pulley / harmonic but I think they do a single pulley sensor
as the double one is a new addition

Skallywag

Club Member
I'm a bit confused - thats a crank pulley trigger wheel kit, but you asked about a cam pulley gear?

It looks decent, but, its a lot of money and it looks like a solid pulley which I think is a bit risky on L28+ engines. AIUI, a harmonic damper is important if its revving 7500+

I'm using a wheel from http://trigger-wheels.com, their universal bracket and a zetec VR sensor. (you can just about see it all here)
View attachment 53818
Apologies Jon, got lots of bits to source for the car and I got this a little muddled. (its my age I think, but don't want to go there) That's one of the things that put me off about the Racing Custom Parts kit, because the wheel looked to have no antivibration on it.
I see that you have you sensor mounted on the passenger side of the engine, do you think it would fit on the other side? I have the timing plate mounted there.
Pleased that you have at least used the one in the photograph, don't really like taking a chance on something that has no track record. The question is, would you recommend the one you have fitted?

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1217.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1217.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 18

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Yes, I'd recommend what I'm using, it's been very reliable. It's not a bolt on kit: I sourced the bits separately and got the trigger wheel welded to my Kameari pulley/damper.
Yes I'm sure the sensor could be fitted on the other side, or you could move the timing setup to the other side (also as per my pic) I think it's a small point, but it keeps the engine between the high voltage coil stuff and the sensors, minimising the noise they see.

Skallywag

Club Member
Thanks for the information Jon.
Sent email to Trigger Wheels, so will wait to hear from them in due course. Where did you source the Zetec VR sensor from? Any chance you could let me have the part number?
Cheers
Rob

Skallywag

Club Member
Many thanks for the information and help. Looking forward to finally getting the old girl back on the road.
Although still much to do yet.