R200 Differential Questions

DJacey

Club Member
Firstly, having done the usual Googling and making comparisons with photos on various websites I'm pretty sure this is an LSD type but I just want to be 100% sure as I'm no expert on this subject.

Secondly, unfortunately it's been stored in a dusty environment without its cover on and I want to give it an internal clean before evently using it. What would be the best option without causing any future issues and damaging seals etc?

Thirdly, I need to source a fanned cover - any ideas? I'll place an ad in the wanted section if necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20190512_201325964_HDR[1].jpg
    IMG_20190512_201325964_HDR[1].jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 41

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
It's certainly not a normal open diff, so would agree likely some type of LSD.
You can take it out for cleaning easy enough by removing those bearing caps left and right. Just remember to keep the shims and bearing together and marked up from each side.
I wouldn't disturb the pinion, that's a lot more faff but unlikely to be too dirty any way.

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Yep definitely an r200 Nissan LSD

Take a picture of the hex bolt in the round hole? If it’s not rounded and quite sharp edged it’ll likely be the one with stronger clutches.

I have a genuine Nissan finned cover i could be persuaded to sell.

Pm me?

Dan

johnymd

Club Member
Do not be tempted to try and wash out the dust unless you do it upside down. I has a company fit a quaif to one of my r200's. They didn't fully strip the diff but tried to was it out and basically all the dirt went into the front bearing area. After 100 miles I started to get bad vibration and my prop uj failed. On closer inspection I found it was the front diff bearing that knocked out the uj.