R200 diff failure!!

Zed2k

Well-Known Forum User
Hi I was out driving the car ready for Saturday Drag meet when the dreaded noise returned from the rear end, the car that is, so I thought sod it and pulled the diff out drained the oil which showed something was being eaten, turns out the carrier pin, has come loose and worked it's way out of one end and started hitting the pinion, I think I will remove the crown wheel and bearings relocate the pin and weld it back into place. I have heard that this is a weakness of the R200 but didn't expect to see it in there, just thought I'd let you guys know.
I have just finished welding my other R200 diff ready to go back in, just going to clean out all the spatter and put it back together I'll let you know how it goes.
Diff removal time, 1 hour excludes jacking it up, includeds multiple scrabbling out from beneath to find the right spanners LOL:smash:

Mr.G

Club Member
Nightmare.So you are running a welded diff rather then an LSD?

Sounds like it hasn't done any permanent damage then or doesnt it matter as its getting welded anyway?

twoforty

Well-Known Forum User
Mine has more backlash now than it did a few thousand miles ago.....time to take a look inside I think.

Post some pictures while you have it in bits.

Mr.G

Club Member
Yes, please post some photos.

I am going to take my diff to gearbox man to check over as I don't feel too confident replacing bearings etc on it myself.

What diff ratios are you two turbo boys running? I'll be running a 3.56.

Wyn

Club Member
Diff removal time, 1 hour excludes jacking it up, includeds multiple scrabbling out from beneath to find the right spanners LOL:smash:

Fair play, takes me that long just to undo the stupid prop bolts :D

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Don't you turbo nutters think that your motors are too agressive for the car and its' components ?

I wonder how the GTR boyz are faring ?

Mr.G

Club Member
motivator1789543.jpg

Zed2k

Well-Known Forum User
Yes I will take photo's of the Pin end a it chewd off should be able to make it good as a spare, and yes I'm going to run a welded diff for a while always wanted to test one out, lets see how good my welding is eh. I want a Lsd really but haven't got the money at present.
The R200 is strong enough apart from the pin issue which should be a quick fix with a good Mig and clean metal.
I run a 3:7 diff. also going to tidy up the sills been meaning to do it for ages and get rid of some small bits of rust around the rear panel.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Well for what it's worth I don't think Z transmissions are as strong and reliable as people make out. And they are very sloppy!

Somebody must have written in the 70s that they are bulletproof and everyone repeats it.:unsure:

twoforty

Well-Known Forum User
Well for what it's worth I don't think Z transmissions are as strong and reliable as people make out. And they are very sloppy!

Somebody must have written in the 70s that they are bulletproof and everyone repeats it.:unsure:

If you're talking Gearboxes then I agree 100%

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User

Agreed, a lot of myths were born then.....and then they added that the head to have was the P90.........

Mine's an S12 box now, R200 3.7 and LSD - a happy bunny !

So it's just coincidence that two tubo nutters have poor condition diffs ?:confused:

Zed2k

Well-Known Forum User
Maybe, my R180 died after a trackday whined badly all the way home, and the R200 I've just pulled out started making strange noises after a visit to the Pod last year then went quiet again, then after the Bovington trackday, noise returned again Obviously the pin is moving around.
standard boxes arn't that strong as far as I can see just changed mine before it let me down.

Mr.G

Club Member
This is an interesting topic but before we can discuss the integrity of these components were any of them rebuilt prior to their use in a high hp application?

We are talking about a 20 year plus component which may have not been looked after very well during its life.

The 280ZX box strength is always questioned but I wonder how many people have actually rebuilt one first before fitting into their high hp Z?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
VERY good point and most diplomatically phrased.....I'd have asked if the two people concerned, keeping a very wary eye on their budgets haven't just fitted parts assuming that they'll hold. Please don't hit me !!!

Not in any way saying I've a big head, know all ('cos we all know that isn't true) but my 240Z 'box was rebuilt before going in and then being replaced by the brand new S12 unit, the R200 was inspected and rebuilt when the LSD went in and I've only got 219 at the rear wheels without that turbo 'punch' !

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Well I haven't a turbo or loads of torque from a 3.1.

My car came to me with a 260 box in it (so at least one change already). Syncros were weak and I lost 5th one day. So I changed it for a cheap 260 box, that lasted 2 years then I put an early 280ZX box in it. I wore that out so now I have an S13/14 in it.

Diff was a R180 that wined like hell. Changed that for a 3.7 R200 which got pretty noisey and didn't like going backwards. Now have a R200 3.9 in.

Rear hub shaft splines were knackered and previous owner have bonded the two halves together with some really good product. I upgraded to 260 components.

Yes Mr G you are right none of my units have been reconditioned before use so fair point, however if they were bulletproof why would they need to be? Z and ZXs don't do many miles.

My car is driven very hard so I accept the wear and tear but my point is they are not as strong as people would have you believe.

Another point, in my early Z days and after modifying my engine and taking it to 2.8 I was advised to fit the larger 280ZX clutch. A genuine Nissan unit was installed and it couldn't cope with the power from day 1 so not much margin there then! I now have a centreforce clutch with appears fine and still nice to use in traffic.

Driveshafts, which are said to be weak have proved strong - but then I'm not dragging or rallying.

Now the L series engines are something else :thumbs:.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I have a Nismo competition clutch plate and when removing the old box (which was/is still fine) the plate was hardly used - I was amazed !

Being 'bullet-proof', many owners have simply not bothered with maintenance - that's the downside !

260Z TT

Club Member
My twin turbo 2.8 runs a Centreforce 2 clutch, 280zx gearbox and 3.9 R200 with viscous LSD from an S14. CV driveshaft conversion to my design, using Nissan joints on shorter fabricated shafts.
Soon to get an upgrade to an S14 gearbox too.(Ebay £150 with 57k miles)