Quick q on battery clamping

bluejon

Club Member
Woo hoo .. first day this year out of the garage today and Hal is back on the road. It took me a new battery (ex Tayna) and a few minutes of puzzlement to get it fired up. Turns out the '80s alarm system, I think having detected the old battery was so flat it was like it had been disconnected, had decided to immobilise something. I was getting an odd tick-tock noise in the cabin different to the indicator pulse and no starter motor. Turned out easily rectified by locking/unlocking the car with the keyfob. And off we go.

Here's my question to this experienced crowd, with an eye to a pre-Japfest MOT. Securing the battery. It sits in what looks like an OEM/replica plastic tray, and I have an OEM clamp frame for the top, but no 'J' bolt. Everything moves around. Should the plastic tray usually be secured to the metal shelf underneath? If so how. Or is that the role of the 'J' bolt .. is that meant to hook under the metal shelf and bolt to the top frame holding the whole lot together?

Second question concerns the opposite side of the top frame, the rear with the upwards flange on it. It looks like it should have a fixing through it, but what to?

Does anyone have an OEM pic of how all this should fix, and anyone have a J bolt spare that could be purchased, before I start a search for aftermarket fixing

samuri-240

Well-Known Forum User
Hello Yes the j bolt holds everything down at the front & on the back side of the clamp a bolt into the bulkhead holds it.

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
Sorry quick photo, just click on the thumbnail.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    857.1 KB · Views: 47

bluejon

Club Member
Thank you. Not sure how I didn't see the bolt hole fixing in the bulkhead at first, other than not looking for it initially. One thing I've found though now is that my 190mm high battery means that that battery frame sits about an inch too low to reach the bolt. I'll have to raise the battery tray to reach it. A nice solid lump of wood underneath should solve that I think. *old tech*