Quick help? lost clutch... tow home or...?

bluejon

Club Member
Have broken down just 5 miles from home having lost clutch action. Not driveable. I don't think there are tow points. And would need a point of some kind to haul onto a trailer.

Ideas guys, any suggestions welcome. Mr RAC is scratching his head a bit.

Last edited:

SacCyclone

Club Member
Fluid in clutch master???
Pin still present on clutch pedal to slave rod??? (under dash by clutch pedal arm)
If you don't have any stops between there and home, maybe start off in 3rd gear and drive slow??
Rope around front subframe to pull onto trailer or use factory transport hooks if you still have them attached to the front frame.

Good luck.

Mike

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
There should be a tow point on the front end of the chassis rail.
Failing that, I’d drive it. I’ve driven without a clutch a few times.

johnymd

Club Member
You should be able to get it on the trailer with a rope around the front crossmember.

If it was me then I would drive it. I’ve done it his many times. Start the car in gear if you really have to stop and match the revs to the speed when changing gear. Not easy in stop start traffic.

Best of luck.

bluejon

Club Member
Cheers chaps. I drove it in 2nd gear. It's a pretty clear B road run home and the roads were quiet due to Royal wedding/FA Cup business. Good to know about a rope to pull in future. The slave cylinder was losing fluid but maybe blew it due to excessive pumping. The clutch itself may be the root. *character building stuff*

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
You should be able to get it on the trailer with a rope around the front crossmember.

If it was me then I would drive it. I’ve done it his many times. Start the car in gear if you really have to stop and match the revs to the speed when changing gear. Not easy in stop start traffic.

Best of luck.

Agreed done it myself and 'trained' my lad to do it too when his clutch went. You need 'light' traffic though and time the traffic lights to perfection.

toopy

Club Member
In the past mine has been pulled onto a low loader several times when moving from one place to another, via the cross member, just be careful if you have a lowish spoiler!

bluejon

Club Member
Option B I think was going to be a rear wheel lift onto a dolly and tow home, but the question where to pull from still stood. An idea, now untested was to open the hatch and attach around the strut brace mounts ... pretty solid

Paul_S

Club Member
Since I got round to fitting the front valance I've been concerned that it's covered up my front tow hooks. I am trying to work out what to do about that - maybe some kind of spacer block to lower them, or I did wonder about looking into fitting a towing strap that I could put in place if necessary.

I do have a couple of rear ones clear though.

SacCyclone

Club Member
I think this is the answer to spoilers etc
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/271555341237
I think Sean used to make one like it.... Sean?
The one I have been using for years due to fiberglass bumper and front air dam.
9o2yuL3.jpg
[/IMG]

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Interesting read re towing hook locations, having had to tow my car twice now with no tow hook I've used the front crossmember/subframe however now getting to the point that I'm thinking it may be a sensible addition.

Thinking of keeping it subtle I've got one from the stock tie down location however as now mentioned it'll likely interact with the valence. May have to reconsider to somthing more like that suggested by Mike, albeit black to blend in a little more. Hmmm... either that or a tow strap tucked away in a similar location.

SacCyclone

Club Member
It attaches between the bumper bracket and frame as I remember.
Maybe installed slightly longer bolts too but very easy install.
They make the same type for the rear as well and it installs between bumper bracket and rear of car.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I've often thought about this and that thing is a great solution.

Do we think it's road legal in the UK? Doesn't seem very pedestrian safety conscious and pretty sure a bored copper will want to have words if they saw it.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Guys, I don't like those type of towing eyes on road cars. I prefer the nylon? strap type which I used front and rear (to subframe) on my track car.

I need to sort something on my current cars.

Paul_S

Club Member
Legality is a very valid point.

I would prefer a strap so the car looks standard but my concern is that at certain angles the strap would contact the valance and cause damage.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I did this, but of course I never needed them. Fit one and you'll never need one!

My rear one was attached to the rear subframe and just held up to the body with a weak cable-tie which would snap as soon as the strap was used.

I assume the metal ones bolts to the bumper mounting? Not the strongest point. Anyway they ought to be sold so that they can be bolted on when/if needed like a modern car. Bye one and carry a spanner?

To be honest I had to have towing eyes front and rear for trackdays however as is the case these days many 'boy racers' fit them to look what they think is 'cool'. So they want them on when touring around town. Ooops I'm in boring old fart mode again.

Attachments

• Le mans 2010 017.JPG
    Le mans 2010 017.JPG
    468.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0473.JPG
    IMG_0473.JPG
    434 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
For those in the know, why wouldn't a tow hook like that be legal?

Cars are designed with soft plastic rounded bumpers to help reduce injury in the event of a collision with a person/child.

Out old cars with pointy bits and metal bumpers are bad enough but to fit a towhook like that is not ideal surely.

I can remember when motorbikes had number plates on the front mudguards and they were removed for safety reasons.