Quick Access Headlights

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Has anyone modified their headlights so that bulbs can be changed without getting under the wheel arch?

I've recently done lots of electrical mods on my 240 in case it does any more rallies and made it easy to change fuses and relays etc. However if a headlight bulb blew it would be a PITA.

Alan, you posted a pic of a 'works' car with a recess in the 'sugar scoop' for access to a removal screw I think. Did the headlight unit withdraw through the front of the sugar scoop?

I also thought something like this Sebring MGC might work but this is a a bit ugly and crude (often the case with competition cars). The MGB cover is better. The main issue is that these headlights mount from the front not the rear (now now guys!).

MGB-138_1.jpg KenWilliamson-MG-MGC-GTS-AE.jpg

Paul_S

Club Member
Access isn't that bad to the back of the headlights with the wheels on hard lock. Have you thought about modifying the headlight bowls so you can get to the bulbs without having to remove them?

Turn & Burn

Club Member
Access isn't that bad to the back of the headlights with the wheels on hard lock. Have you thought about modifying the headlight bowls so you can get to the bulbs without having to remove them?
Seems like a good idea, you can get 60mm rubber grommets that you could fit into the back of the bowl.

Fastededdie

Club Member
As mentioned the Headlight Bowel needs a good grinding/cutting out so you can get your fingers through it. Fairly easy I'd say a 2 skill set.
Otherwise as we know it is tough work just to change a bulb.

atomman

Club Member
if you look at the MZR video on you tube you'll see they have made carbon bowls with a box in the back of them ,

I though about doing this to mine and making a cover that comes off to get access and give a but more room as mine have 4 Cree LED's with little fans on the back off them and its pretty tight on the OG bowl .