Quaife ATB question for those that have one

Mr.G

Club Member
I've recently had my R200 back with a quaife ATB installed.

I've noticed that now my stub axles just go in all the way, ie flush, and there is no resistance in putting them in or out. As if there is no circlip installed in the ATB.

Is that normal? Prior to the quaife install I needed some force to get them in and out.

Mr.F

Inactive
Stubs are retained by C-clips whether standard or Quaife as far as I am aware...
Should require some resistance to engage and disengage.

johnymd

Club Member
Sounds very much like they forgot to swap over the c clips. Same thing happened to me and I had to take them out of my old diff. Just look inside to see if they are there.

Who did your quaife swap George and how much did it cost?

Mr.G

Club Member
Ok, cheers guys thought it was those.

It cost around 150pounds from memory, and I had Quaife install it.

Mr.G

Club Member
Ok, old post but I finally got some time to try and fit the cir clips into the quaife. Bought brand new from Mike, also compared the size with the old ones and they are spot on.

Quaife told me that to install the cir clip into the ATB i need to first fit them onto the stub axle and push them in. That sounds very reasonable but having tried this there is no way that will work as the bore in the ATB to insert the stub into is narrower then the width of the stub with cir clip installed.

I've had contradicting info on this, some people have told me that the ATB comes from quaife with the Cir clips installed, quaife say they don't. johnny how did you get yours in? I am stumped...:confused: it looks like mission impossible, the ATB is installed in the R200 and I've tried long nose pliers and various other tools but can't get it in and placed in the right slot :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.G

Club Member
It's one of these Jon, not the type with the eyelet:

10013795.jpg

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
its a round wire snap ring not a circlip, designed to sit in a semi circular grove and support a forced insertion such as knock in drive shafts

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Ah. So you need to push it down a tube to pop into its groove?
Is it hard to reach?

Mr.G

Club Member
Thanks for the correct terminology Steve.

Jon, it needs to travel about two and a half inches down and the bore is 32mm, so not much room to monouver and the snap ring needs to be first compressed before it can start it's journey.

zbloke

Club Member
Can you use a Jubilee clip to compress the Snap Ring then use the stub axle to push it in?

Mr.G

Club Member
Just gone and had another look to best describe this - for 2 inches the snap ring doesn't need to compress as the tube (bore) is slightly wider then the snap ring and after that the splines start and that's when it needs to be compressed in order to start it's journey to the groove.

I am trying with two screw drivers on either end of the snap ring to compress it but it's impossible, I've run out of ideas.

Mr.G

Club Member
I missed the posts above.

Zbloke, great idea but it needs to travel through a bore for 2 inches before it needs to compress when it gets to the splines, so no room for a jubilee clip.

Jon, it still needs to compress before it can start it's journey up the spline, the start of the splines are not sloped.

johnymd

Club Member
I had the same trouble Geoge but it can be done. You are doing it exactly the same as I did. It took me several attempts. I'll try to explain the basics of it. The clip needs to travel down the hole oriented the same way as the groove it will finally sit in(if that makes sence). If it rotates 90% while trying to do it then you will probably have to pull it out and start again. So, start by pushing it in the hole, the easy bit, then using a screwdriver, slowly push it down the hole a little bit at a time on opposite side but be cairfull not to let it rotate. If you can find a bit of tube the correct size then it should make this easy. good luck. I got to the point of nearly giving up so your not alone.

Wyn

Club Member
Quaife told me that to install the cir clip into the ATB i need to first fit them onto the stub axle and push them in.

If it was me I would try use the end of the stub axle as a "drift"
Engage the clip square into the splined hole then gently push the clip down the bore with the stub axle untill it engages into its slot?
I assume it sits into a slot? The shaft would then engage as per?

Sylv1

Well-Known Forum User
I got it with big screw drivers, time, time and patience... and lots of hurts to the hands at the end :eek:

Mr.G

Club Member
Ok thanks guys for all the advice, Johny, Sylv I will persist using the method you describe, which is what i've been doing thus far but not had the patience nor was I sure this was the right way to go about it given the failed attempts!

Wyn, I like your drift idea.

I've got a feeling that Quaife sometimes supplies the ATB with the snap rings already installed as some people I've spoken to didn't have to go through this.